Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:1) Kumonga (AKA: Aspiga)
2) Kamacuras (AKA: Gimantis); for this I would go with a Gamera; Gaurdian of the Universe situation with Godzilla having to contend with several of the pests with each next one that much more difficult until it come down to the fight between Godzilla and the final Kamacuras.
3) Ebirah; but a sufficient amount of suping up would be needed. I never considered a giant lobster too much a difficult challenge for Godzilla.
4) Baragon (Of course he would have to be suped up as opposed to previous films; face it, G.M.A.O.K was a beat down).
5) Varan; I recommend him because other than his original appearance back in 58' he really hasn't had any film time, and I believe that this monster had alot of potential.
6) Manda; like Baragon, this monster has adversary potential but would need to be suped up.
I have to disagree. I don't see why everyone wants Baragon or Varan or Kamacuras as Godzilla's enemy monster. I mean, I understand the mentality behind not wanting KG, but tossing out Godzilla's weakest adversaries 'cos its the first film is abit silly. If you want a gradual upturn in power level of Godzilla's opponents, there's still a huge number of choice besides Baragon or Varan (ie; Movie 1: Gigan, Movie 2: Mechagodzilla, and then King Ghidorah). And if they are going to be suped up, why not just choose an enemy that is already reasonably powerful?
And this may also be Godzilla's last movie ever if it doesn;t do very well. I surely wouldn't want to see him fight Baragon or Varan in his potential finale. There are alot of dangerous adversaries Godzilla can battle without using KG or MG- Gigan, Hedorah, Megalon, Megaguirus, and on the 'natural' side of things, Titanosaurus, Anguirus, Rodan and as you mentioned, Kumonga.
Even if this movie bombs, it wont be Godzilla's last.. Toho ''might'' make a short 60th anniversary film for fan's, if not then they'll keep Godzilla retired for another 5 to 10 years an try again to see where the franchise stands.
Then decide from there.