What other Godzilla Kaiju could carry a movie?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
SimeonAssassin
GPN Volunteer

What other Godzilla Kaiju could carry a movie?

Post by SimeonAssassin »

Let's say that the Godzilla movie is successful, and establishes at the least a decent mythology, could the way be paved for other Kaiju to star in their own movies? Though Toho has nowhere near the character body that Marvel has, I would argue that the material exists where Toho/Legendary could begin a project not unlike Marvel/Disney. And to be fair, this would be a lot like what Toho already did, with separate movies for Godzilla, Mothra, and Rodan.

Were I to make any suggestions to the studio, I would make the case for a King Ghidorah film, I really do think the material is there for a cohesive character concept.

Mothra I think would actually be a harder project to push a solo in American theaters.

What do you guys think?

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Re: What other Godzilla Kaiju could carry a movie?

Post by Kiryu2012 »

I think perhaps Baragon or Anguirus could work. Like they would have their own side story while Godzilla is the main focus.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Reaper Man
Monsterland Worker

Post by Reaper Man »

Rodan and Mothra. Maybe MechaGodzilla, if it focused on his pilots/controllers, as he doesn't really have a personality, but is popular.

King Ghidorah's an arch-villain, so he shouldn't be a protagonist.
Seasons don't fear the reaper, nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain.

SimeonAssassin
GPN Volunteer

Post by SimeonAssassin »

King Ghidorah's an arch-villain, so he shouldn't be a protagonist.
God no, King Ghidorah would be a villain, much like Jason, Freddy, and Michael Myers are the looming terrors in their franchises. I would imagine an origin type movie, to establish his character as an interstellar serial killer of planets. Heroic members of some alien planet try valiantly to defeat KG, only to see their world destroyed.

I happen to think that King Ghidorah's background has the most/best material to create his own movie, and he's just my particular choice to set an example for other events occurring in Godzilla's universe, aside from just what we see in Godzilla's own movies. Much like Marvel is creating multiple, concurring stories in their cinematic universe.

Plus, I actually felt like Kiryu was the star of the movies he was in, and Godzilla was the "brought-in" opponent. I could see a franchise (3) built around a Kiryu type version of MechaGodzilla. Kinda like an Iron Man character, super tech, and weapons, and the like.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

An american Gamera film might be interesting. I'd love to see something like Barugon and Gyaos brought to life in full CG.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Eunectes
Gotengo Officer

Post by Eunectes »

SpaceGodzilla

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

OMG, imagine a Kaiju Cinematic Universe done like the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Have Godzilla be the first film to this universe like Iron Man was for the MCU.
Then we can have solos for Mothra, Rodan, and what not.

Then after several films and Godzilla sequels, we get a crossover film where they all fight a common enemy (sound familiar?)

As for aliens, depending on how realistic this universe is, they can be vaguely hinted in the previous films.
Maybe have weird lights in the sky, but don't reference them at all. We can also have odd people who appear in the background during all the films, then reveal who they really are later on.

Lots of potential if Warner Brothers and Legendary Pictures wanna play on that.

Lemme make a new thread for this :D
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Rodan and Mothra have a chance, seeing as how average (Usually older.) Americans actually know their names. But I'm not holding my breath.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

I say Rodan. He had a pretty decent film in 56'. Since then he has been pretty limited as a secondary character at best, and really hasn't had a chance to do much else. Next choice would be Gamera, because the Kaneko trilogy was done so well.
"A monster can live forever"

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I would love to see a remake or re-imagining of War of the Gargantuas. Give them a different story if you'd like but I think those two would carry a movie.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

Mothra is the only other one who could conceivably get a separate movie. The other kaiju aren't as ingrained into the American popular cultural lexicon as Godzilla and Mothra. Despite what fans may think, the general public only really know Godzilla and Mothra.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

SG-17 wrote:Mothra is the only other one who could conceivably get a separate movie. The other kaiju aren't as ingrained into the American popular cultural lexicon as Godzilla and Mothra. Despite what fans may think, the general public only really know Godzilla and Mothra.
I think a remake of the first Rodan movie also make a great movie.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Bluejira
Samurai

Post by Bluejira »

You could make a good children's movie out of Mothra. Similar to the recent Mysterious Island remake or Honey I Shrunk the Kids.
Rodan if he isn't used in Godzilla would be nice.

beardRage
Monarch Researcher

Post by beardRage »

Rodan, Varan, and KING CAESAR!
Jomei wrote: When we say Godzilla is "porky," are we talking Heisei levels of fatassery or more like GMK?
Chris55 wrote: BUT WHAT IF BRYAN CRANSTON FARTS DURNG AN INTERVIEW? NO ONE WILL WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE AND THEN THEY'LL ALL GO SEE SPIDERMAN!
Gawdziller wrote:Godzilla is this year's Hobbit 2...except for Hobbit 3...and except that it doesn't suck.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Mothra and Rodan could, i like to think.. :P

And it would be cool to see an American Gamera movie someday.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Living Corpse wrote:
Gyaos wrote:An american Gamera film might be interesting. I'd love to see something like Barugon and Gyaos brought to life in full CG.
Barugon was such a badas monster. I hate the Showa Gamera films but even he managed to keep me entertained. Imagine how awesome an updated version would be. Though he probably won't return because of the issues with his name and similarity with a certain Toho monster.
Eh Barugon looks diffrent enough from Baragon. The name is somewhat of a problem though.

I can picture them giving Barugon chameleonic powers for some reason. Hes got a long tongue like one, and he sorta looks like a Jackson's chameleon.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Honestly, none in American market. Unless the film was really good, I doubt people would actually care enough to go see a film based on one of these characters besides Godzilla.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

Gorosaurus Rex wrote:Honestly, none in American market. Unless the film was really good, I doubt people would actually care enough to go see a film based on one of these characters besides Godzilla.

I tend to agree with you on this, although I think the Gragantuas is an exception because that movie was very popular here in the States back in the 60s. Other than that the majority of the monsters are so associated with Godzilla I really don't see a mainstream audience being interested in any of those monsters on their own.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

SimeonAssassin
GPN Volunteer

Post by SimeonAssassin »

I think the reception a movie based on another Kaiju would depend on it's perception. I actually consider Mothra to be a serious character, not the material for a children's movie. Aside from the perceptual conflict that would arise if Mothra and Godzilla were to appear in the same movie, I think it's chop-blocking her character to make her a modern "Showa Gamera" type character.

Aside from Godzilla, not many have the character depth to build a movie around, my short list would be King Ghidorah, Mothra, Kiryu, King Caesar, and an expansion of the mutant/EDF military force from FW. With Rodan and the Gargantuas on the borderline, Toho doesn't have the character body to have as many different franchises as Marvel, quite frankly because I don't think Toho cares about the characters the way Marvel does for theirs.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

SimeonAssassin wrote:I think the reception a movie based on another Kaiju would depend on it's perception. I actually consider Mothra to be a serious character, not the material for a children's movie. Aside from the perceptual conflict that would arise if Mothra and Godzilla were to appear in the same movie, I think it's chop-blocking her character to make her a modern "Showa Gamera" type character.

Aside from Godzilla, not many have the character depth to build a movie around, my short list would be King Ghidorah, Mothra, Kiryu, King Caesar, and an expansion of the mutant/EDF military force from FW. With Rodan and the Gargantuas on the borderline, Toho doesn't have the character body to have as many different franchises as Marvel, quite frankly because I don't think Toho cares about the characters the way Marvel does for theirs.
King Caesar? I think he is one of the worst monsters Toho ever produced. No offense.
Liam F.