Will Godzilla fans consider this the 29th Godzilla movie?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Re: Will Godzilla fans consider this the 29th Godzilla movie

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

CTHimes wrote:
KingGhidorah wrote:Where have you been these past years? Cutting yourself?
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
He does that sometimes. Ignore it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

PygmyZilla wrote:My opinion is that should this movie come close enough to resembling an actual Godzilla movie (I.E. appearance, physical traits, abilities etc.) Then I would gladly accept this as the 29'th Godzilla movie (GINO does not count due to the fact that the creature's appearance, motivations etc did not line up with the Godzilla archetype I grew up with.)
Sure, we can personally discount Godzilla 1998 as a Godzilla movie but that will not change the fact that Toho recognizes it as a Godzilla movie and it does exist in the world as a movie with Godzilla in the title. In other words whatever we do with Godzilla 1998 will not change the fact that it is a Godzilla movie.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Huh. I never knew Toho considered it an official Godzilla movie. I always thought they technically disowned it after they renamed the monster "Zilla." I guess I'll have to consider this the 30th movie.

KingGhidorah
Interpol Agent

Post by KingGhidorah »

CTHimes wrote:
KingGhidorah wrote:Where have you been these past years? Cutting yourself?
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
It means you're acting sad, negative, and irrational towards the film. If you had paid attention these past few years, you would know that Gareth has confirmed the movie will have the classic Godzilla we know and love, not to mention they gave out in Comic-Con shirts showing what some would consider "concept art" of Godzilla for the movie.

KingGhidorah
Interpol Agent

Post by KingGhidorah »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:
KingGhidorah wrote: It means you're acting sad, negative, and irrational towards the film. If you had paid attention these past few years, you would know that Gareth has confirmed the movie will have the classic Godzilla we know and love, not to mention they gave out in Comic-Con shirts showing what some would consider "concept art" of Godzilla for the movie.
If that's what irks you...Then be prepared to fight the while damn internet.
And I'm willing to do it one cat picture at a time.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

KingGhidorah wrote:It means you're acting sad, negative, and irrational towards the film. If you had paid attention these past few years, you would know that Gareth has confirmed the movie will have the classic Godzilla we know and love, not to mention they gave out in Comic-Con shirts showing what some would consider "concept art" of Godzilla for the movie.
Don't get so butthurt dude. All I'm trying to say is that even though I'm excited about this movie, I'm not willing to believe everything we've been told by the producers, director or screenwriters until I see the movie for myself. After all, this is a business where deception is a great tool. We really know very little about the movie so far (no surprise, since it started filming last week) and I think that claiming anything to be true about the movie or its interpretation of Godzilla is really jumping the gun.

And if you treat concept art as factual evidence that the movie will turn out exactly as you want it, maybe you'd like to take a look at this Patrick Tatopolous art for a certain 1998 film.

Last edited by Terasawa on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Eunectes
Gotengo Officer

Post by Eunectes »

CTHimes wrote:
KingGhidorah wrote:It means you're acting sad, negative, and irrational towards the film. If you had paid attention these past few years, you would know that Gareth has confirmed the movie will have the classic Godzilla we know and love, not to mention they gave out in Comic-Con shirts showing what some would consider "concept art" of Godzilla for the movie.
Don't get so butthurt dude. All I'm trying to say is that even though I'm excited about this movie, I'm not willing to believe everything we've been told by the producers, director or screenwriters until I see the movie for myself. We really know very little about the movie so far (no surprise, since it started filming last week) and I think that claiming anything to be true about the movie or its interpretation of Godzilla is really jumping the gun.
Being told the cast list, having the director confirm production and giving us the hint of it being filmed in Japan, having leaked pictures, and shooting locations as well as the duration of shooting isn't "we really know very little", especially in the FIRST, WEEK, OF, PRODUCTION, eh?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Eunectes wrote:Being told the cast list, having the director confirm production and giving us the hint of it being filmed in Japan, having leaked pictures, and shooting locations as well as the duration of shooting isn't "we really know very little", especially in the FIRST, WEEK, OF, PRODUCTION, eh?
Uh, yes, it is. That's all pretty typical of an early press release. The set pictures (not "leaked pictures", which is a big difference) are common for big productions like this, especially ones that start filming in populated areas as opposed to studio sets.

Have you ever tracked the production of a movie before?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

CTHimes wrote:
Don't get so butthurt dude. All I'm trying to say is that even though I'm excited about this movie, I'm not willing to believe everything we've been told by the producers, director or screenwriters until I see the movie for myself. After all, this is a business where deception is a great tool. We really know very little about the movie so far (no surprise, since it started filming last week) and I think that claiming anything to be true about the movie or its interpretation of Godzilla is really jumping the gun.

And if you treat concept art as factual evidence that the movie will turn out exactly as you want it, maybe you'd like to take a look at this Patrick Tatopolous art for a certain 1998 film.

and you may want to take a look at this art:

and this picture from last summer:

Yooo 8-)

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

You miss my point: it's silly to assume after only one week of actual production that this will be "the Godzilla" (your words), especially considering we've only seen concept art and a grainy still of a teaser trailer. I'll continue to be cautiously optimistic.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

KingGhidorah
Interpol Agent

Post by KingGhidorah »

CTHimes wrote:You miss my point: it's silly to assume after only one week of actual production that this will be "the Godzilla" (your words), especially considering we've only seen concept art and a grainy still of a teaser trailer. I'll continue to be cautiously optimistic.
I'm pretty sure that if Legendary doesn't directly give a rat's ass about Godzilla, they'll see this movie as a cash cow, which means they'll try their best to make this movie great and eventually care about Godzilla as a character. Not to mention Legendary's recent trust in delivering to fans.

PygmyZilla
Samurai

Post by PygmyZilla »

Gojira1963 wrote:
PygmyZilla wrote:My opinion is that should this movie come close enough to resembling an actual Godzilla movie (I.E. appearance, physical traits, abilities etc.) Then I would gladly accept this as the 29'th Godzilla movie (GINO does not count due to the fact that the creature's appearance, motivations etc did not line up with the Godzilla archetype I grew up with.)
Sure, we can personally discount Godzilla 1998 as a Godzilla movie but that will not change the fact that Toho recognizes it as a Godzilla movie and it does exist in the world as a movie with Godzilla in the title. In other words whatever we do with Godzilla 1998 will not change the fact that it is a Godzilla movie.
We are all entitled to our opinions in the matter but what really drives me insane are the people who are SO intent on clinging to technicalities that they fail to see the forest for the trees. There was nothing in that movie that even vaguely resembled Godzilla in any way, shape or form (aside from the name.) By a similar logic, I could make a James Bond movie with a monkey slinging poo for
2 hours......it would still be a Bond film because the aforementioned monkey is called James Bond. Toho has gone on record and acknowledged that 98 was nothing short of an agregious mis-step.
It is truly sad when people decide it is best to abandon common sense.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

PygmyZilla wrote:
Gojira1963 wrote:
We are all entitled to our opinions in the matter but what really drives me insane are the people who are SO intent on clinging to technicalities that they fail to see the forest for the trees. There was nothing in that movie that even vaguely resembled Godzilla in any way, shape or form (aside from the name.) By a similar logic, I could make a James Bond movie with a monkey slinging poo for
2 hours......it would still be a Bond film because the aforementioned monkey is called James Bond. Toho has gone on record and acknowledged that 98 was nothing short of an agregious mis-step.
Gino is still a Godzilla film. GINO 98 is just the worst re imaging of the character but as much as we fans hate it 98 is still a Godzilla film.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

CTHimes wrote:You miss my point: it's silly to assume after only one week of actual production that this will be "the Godzilla" (your words), especially considering we've only seen concept art and a grainy still of a teaser trailer. I'll continue to be cautiously optimistic.
Not really silly, otherwise we'll be noticing major differences by now, as well as Legendary and Edwards not caring about it. Its been confirmed already that he will use the Atomic Breath, fight other Monsters, and (even though you don't care about the art and picture) have the real Godzilla will be in this film. What keeps you optimistic?
Yooo 8-)

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I only consider a Godzilla movie part of the series only if Toho is involved in it.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

TyrantGojira wrote:I only consider a Godzilla movie part of the series only if Toho is involved in it.
But Toho is involved with this one...... :roll:
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!