The Merchandise Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
RedZillaKing

Re: Who do you want to do the toy line?

Post by RedZillaKing »

Godzilla 2000 wrote: You argument about "the greed of big business" is a pretty weak one based on assumptions (how can they be defined as greedy anyway? it's a business, they're supposed to want to make money).
You're right. They're doin' it purely to put the minimum amount of food on the table and gas in their used autos. Bullshit. They're doing it to make the absolute maximum amount of money. I don't think greed is a bad thing. Makes the world turn.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:It's not about making easy money; it's about potentially biting off more than they can chew. That's exactly what happened when they "cashed in" on GFW; they got burned. Not only did the movie flop, but now they were sitting on a ton of merchandise that nobody really wanted. Sure, people still bought them, but that's not the point; not enough people bought them, that is the point.

This is all incredibly irrelevant. Keep the GFW comparisons out of this. My entire argument depends on Bandai capitalizing on a successful film. I think you've missed the entire point.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Why do you think Bandai announces merchandise for the Ultraman films long before they're in theaters or released on DVD/Blu-ray? Because they know it'll sell, because Ultraman has proven to be consistently successful, and therefore, lucrative. Even if it doesnt make #1 at the box office, Ultraman is still marketable. There is almost no risk whatsoever.
Bandai waited till LONG after Ultraman Zero the Movie opened to announce the Ultra Acts (aside from the pathetic retools). The better part of a year in fact.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:And again, Godzilla is a totally different story. To expect that same level of merchandising on a movie (who's success wont be known until after the fact) would be asking Bandai to take a huge risk, all for the sake of a few fanboys. It HAS to prove itself as marketable.
There would be minimal risk. Because the whole hypothesis depends on the film being a hit.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Sure, if the movie is successful, we'll probably see some stuff released afterward. But it will definitely not be on the same scale as Ultraman.
And we're comparing this to Ultraman... why? My Ultra merchandise point was in direct response to your "no merchandise boom" statement. There's no reason to compare the two.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:This is all a big "what-if," and while its fun to imagine Godzilla enjoying that kind of success once more, we shouldnt delude ourselves.
There's no harm in deluding oneself during speculation. Which is what this thread's all about.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:
Nope. It is incredibly relevant. Bandai would not want to get burned again, because thats more of their money that could go to complete waste.
If the movie is critically and financially successful it would warrant merchandise. Regardless of how the critically panned BOMB Final Wars burned Bandai. Do I have to explain how comparing a bomb to a (hypothetical)hit regarding merchandising potential is ridiculous?
Godzilla 2000 wrote: So because your precious Ultra-Acts came out late, that somehow makes my statement less true? =/
My precious Ultra-Acts? Why aren't they your precious Ultra-Acts too? Do you have something against a line of highly detailed Ultraman figures aimed at adult collectors? :lol:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:If anything, it proves my other statement (about merchandise being released after the fact) true. Zero was already an ongoing series by that point.
You were right! Merchandise gets released both before and after the release of a film! It must be nice to make two completely polar opposite statements. That way you'll never be wrong!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:So are you just going to play the "what-if" game all day or actually form a solid argument?

"What if it's a huge hit?"

Well what if it's not? What if it's a huge failure?

No kidding. Are you suggesting I form a solid argument about unforseeable circumstances? Where's your crystal ball? :lol: This is a speculative thread. Go look up speculation.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Apparently you werent listening.
I was listening. Still waiting for you to contribute something of worth.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:There is a reason; trying in vain to show you WHY the Ultraman series receives so much merchandising; consistent success, proof of worth, something this lone LP film doesnt have behind it.
Everyone understands your obvious statements. A hit movie recieves merchandise to capitalize on its popularity. If I keep saying it, you'll eventually get it.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:It's one thing if you want to speculate, but it's another when you're ridiculously insistent on debating the finer points of a totally hypothetical situation, as if doing so will make your deluded fantasies come true.
:roll: This is a speculative thread. Stop missing the point of it.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:
Yeah, IF it's successful, and only AFTER it's proven to be successful.

Bandai is not going to take that risk though. They arent gonna put out a shit ton of merch and roll out the red carpet, because the last time they did (GFW) it blew up in their faces.

If we do see anything, it'll likely be AFTER THE FACT.
So you've proven you can reiterate my point. Well done.
Godzilla 2000 wrote: I dont care for a majority of them.
That's a shame because there's very few true misses in the line.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:But you place too much importance on them.
Wrong. I place importance on my job and my wife. Toys are a hobby and fairly low on my priority list.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:So what if they were released late? What does that prove?
That Bandai was testing the waters. Clearly we wouldn't have gotten Jean Bot, Glen, and MK if the film bombed.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Please show me these polar opposite statements.
Bandai releases merchandise far in advance. Which proves your statement that merchandise is released after the fact! All about Ultraman. Con-tra-dic-tor-y. Pola opposite, "if I state both there's no way I can be wrong" statements.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Hopefully you'll have more luck doing that than those contradicting statements of mine you never showed me a while back in another thread.
Yeah your argument about Eleking not using his tail wrap because Gigan had spines was great. Except for the fact that kaiju ignore spikes 98% of the time. You're unteachable.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:I would suggest you take off the fanboy goggles and cease arguing a hypothetical situation that is impossible to disprove when all you do is hide behind "LOL SPECULATION" but I doubt you'd listen.
Frank? Let's just get this out of the way. You are. The biggest. Ultra d*** riding fanboiiiii this forum has ever seen. No matter how hard you call someone else a fanboy (something that you do to everyone who disagrees with you :lol: ) it does not erase this fact. And why are you arguing against a hypothesis? Are you a- no it can't be... A self parody??
Godzilla 2000 wrote:It's so easy to say "WHAT IF" all day because it doesnt require any kind of sound logic. "WHAT IF THIS HAPPENED" or "WHAT IF THAT HAPPENED."
What exactly is your point here? And what's logical about your angry rantings anyhow?
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Well we dont live in What-If Land. I'm trying to explain why a huge merchandise boom is not likely to happen, even if this were to be a success.
And I'm telling you it will. History shows that a successful run of Goji films coincides with a glut of merchandise. And this is a "What if" thread so.... yeah. Why don't you get it? :?
Godzilla 2000 wrote:A film being successful or a hit =/= worldwide phenomenon.
Great. Are you suggesting all the past Goji movie tie-ins came from the series being a "worldwide phenomenon"? It takes a "worldwide phenomenon" to get lots of swag?
Godzilla 2000 wrote:If it does well, we will see some merchandise, but not nearly as much as something like the Ultraman series enjoys on a yearly basis. I'm not so interested in fooling myself into believing that the LP film will blow everyone away and become the next hollywood blockbuster ala something like The Avengers. I just dont see it happening.
Never said it would. It's a what if scenario in a what if thread. If you can't understand that, you shouldn't be posting here. :lol:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Obvious flamebait is obvious.
Yawn. Frank, this means nothing coming from a master at baiting such as yourself. You have yet to contribute anything but to take me to task for using the thread properly (speculatively) and stroking your weird Ultra fanboy ego.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:But this is all a huge IF.

IF it's a hit.
IF it tops the box office.
IF merchandise is made.
IF it bombs.
IF it's cancelled.

Saying "what if" all day is just plain unproductive. It doesnt lend itself to any kind of logical of coherent thought.
Then get the f*** out of the "who do you want to do the hypothetical toy line" thread. What's next? Are you gonna go into the Marmit thread and bitch ebirahsmeg1 out for posting about Marmit figures?
Godzilla 2000 wrote:If I think someone's speculation is pants-on-head crazy, or just plain idiotic, I will tell them so.
If it wasn't so fun being surprised at how low you'd sink, I'd just roll my eyes and move on.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:And who says speculation cant be based on logic? That seems to be the last thing most people are doing here.
Wanna hear some logic? If this movie is a hit, we will receive a good amount of merchandise.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Speculating about what what could/might be without grounding it in some kind of realistic sense only serves as pointless fanboy wanking, and that's why I generally dont participate in these kinds of threads. Mindlessly babbling about stuff like "oh man, what if bagan is in it" or "wouldnt it be awesome if this was better than the dark knight" does not interest or excite me.
Why not continue the trend? Hey! I heard the Dark Knight Rises thread has people talking about Batman. Doesn't that just piss you off? Go get 'em, sparky! :lol:

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Godzilla 2000 wrote: Except that I put emphasis on the IF aspect, rather than the MOST LIKELY one.
I never said most it would "most likely" be a hit. I said "if" it was a hit. Your arguments rely solely on irrelevant statements and putting words in my mouth. Please try harder to contribute.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Dont be a smartass.
I'm not. "Importance" isn't a word I'd use to describe something trivial like a hobby.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:How can they be testing the waters if the movie was already a success?
The movie wasn't already a success. It hadn't been released yet. They waited months to reveal UAs because they wanted to make sure the film was successful enough to release high end figures. Period.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Bandai typically releases stuff in advance...for the Ultraman series, because they know it will sell. I never said they dont release products after a movie's debut. They CAN release/announce new products in between movies, ya know.
I'm aware of that (and never implied otherwise). The same went for Godzilla in its heyday. If this film's a success, Bandai will capitalize on it.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:My point was that the situation with the Godzilla series is different, because of past failures, and the fact that this being made by a foreign film company with the script being passed around like a basketball. To ignore those past failures just because "its over and done with" is incredibly foolish. Those who dont learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Now you're presenting a different argument altogether. Your argument here is based on Toho being gunshy to release merch in advance because of past failures. The argument we were having (but you were apparently failing to follow) is based on the film being released already and being a huge hit. Irrelevance is irrelevant.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:So yeah, sorry, no contradiction there. Only you misunderstanding me.
The only thing I don't understand is your failure to see your own blatant hypocrisy and contradictory statements.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:That argument was and still is pretty stupid.

I can ignore a landmine sitting right in front of me, but that doesnt mean it wont go off if step on it.
Do you ignore blatant facts if it suits you? Spikes are nothing to a kaiju. This isn't the video games where a kaiju dances around in pain when it hits spikes. As for that landmine thing... you should test it out. I think you may be on to something.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:You should really stop flambaiting me before a mod gives you another warning.
Frank the mini mod. You should really stop trying to tell me what to do.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:And simply presenting you with the facts about a rival franchise shouldnt make me an "ultra dick riding fanboi." And here I thought we as a fanbase had evolved past the whole "you're just playing favorites" thing.
No "ultra d*** riding fanboiiii' is how you live your life. You go around calling everyone you disagree with "fanboys",yet God forbid someone mentions Ultraman in a negative light. You blow a gasket. Whether it's in the FMs, or mentioning a toyline, it's always the same. You're the biggest hypocrite there is when it comes to being what you supposedly hate. And the facts about Ultraman still hold very little relevance in this discussion. The only point is this: If the LP film is a huge hit, we will receive merchandise to capitalize on said success.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:My point; saying what-if is pointless and trying to argue that what-if is pointless.

I had a reason to rant angrily. I wanted to look at that figure in a more critical light than just kissing the ground it sits on like most people would. And those accessories are still garbage.
I wasn't talking about your cowardly youtube persona (who blocks people who own him in an argument in order to save face. Dude, that was pathetic. :lol: You were wrong about the chogokins and when I corrected you, you backpedalled and blocked me). I was talking about how you conduct yourself everywhere.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:But we're not talking about a successful run of films, or the franchise as a whole.

Just this one, lone movie.
Okay, and? Success creates merchandise. I'd love to see the fairweather fans if this film gets big.

Godzilla 2000 wrote:Now you're just deliberately missing the point.

Being a hit doesnt always guarantee huge amounts of swag up the wazoo.

Just look at Cloverfield.
With Godzilla it does. I'm not surprised you're ignoring Bandai's Godzilla merchandise history. Even moderate hits guaruntee swag. And I'm sorry that you can't appreciate the lasting power and appeal of Godzilla vs. the virtually unmarketable mess of a sixth rate kaiju like Clover.

Godzilla 2000 wrote:Oh, I understand it perfectly (which is why I said I rarely post in threads like these). I just cant help but shake my head at some of the stuff people post.
There's nothing illogical about my statement. Get a grip. :roll:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:And you accuse me of flamebaiting...take it easy, dude.
Here's a new one: Frank the class act. You're not fooling anyone... They all know what you are.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Yeah.

IF.

And that's a big IF.
So? You're trying really hard to make this into somethng it isn't. I never said "Ohhhh LP Godzilla is gonna be big!" Stop acting like I did.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Why would it piss me off? I loved TDK and I'm psyched for TDKR.
Whoosh! That was the sound of it going right over your head. :lol:

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Hellspawn28 wrote:

I can vouch for NECA, as I own the "Ribbed" variant of the Xenomorph warrior and the Gears of War Palace Guard. (Interesting note, the Benjamin Carmine figure in that pic is very hard to find and was sold in limited numbers). Both figures are superb in regards to detail and have a fair amount of articulation.

McFarlane would certainly deliver a kickass toy line. I own 80% of their Halo figures, so I can definetly speak highly of them. Heres some examples of their work:

http://halo.bungie.org/halobulletins/20 ... ate_v2.jpg

I still want Hot Toys to do something in the line though. Yeah their stuff is expensive but DAMN do they deliver.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

You are correct sir. My statements were plain and didn't need to be blown so out of proportion. And no, I'm not saying I didn't have a large part in the escalation of said incident.

Apologies, my friends.

zillabeast
Yojimbo

Post by zillabeast »

I have no issues with Bandai's work.

godzilla96
Samurai

Post by godzilla96 »

Monster arts
Godzilla is king of the monsters.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

For an American retail release, I'm fine with McFarlane or NECA.

But I'll probably still buy the Japanese Bandai or Banpresto when it comes out because it will most likely be better anyway.

I'd like Sideshow to make a high end PF Godzilla if the design is nice enough I'll buy it.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:I prefer NECA to McFarlane, especially in recent years. Their style just seems to click with me more.
Well, there's been an obvious dip in McFarlane's QC. They definitely got cheaper sculptors or something. Their sports line figures look horrible compared to what they used to be. And walking dead/halo just doesn't have the visual presence of their older lines.

NECA used to be like that. But they have consistently been making sure their final products are up to par with their prototypes. It's been getting better.

But back in McFarlane's "prime", nothing was touching them. Every Spawn series amazed..and that was a span for like 15 years of revolutionary detail at an action-figure price.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Admittedly, some of their Halo figures recently have been pretty meh visually, particularly the Reach ones (Most notably the Armor packs, the Ranger elite, Jun, and Kat). The Halo 4 ones definetly look like improvements however.
ImageImage

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

UltramanGoji wrote:Hasbro.

trololol
I actually agree here. Hasbro does some kickass stuff and tends to manage to appeal to both collectors and kids, while a lot of other companies these days tend to gravitate one way or the other.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

DarkLord
Monarch Researcher

What company should get the toy licence??

Post by DarkLord »

A frivolous thread to be starting at this early stage I know gentlemen, but as we're also collectors, who would you like to see grab what will likely be a highly prized toy licence!?

Some nice items will undoutedly come out of Japan but here in the west I suspect there will be various licensees, depending upon the product. To kick things off, I'll toss the following into the hat.....,

Master toy licence - Hasbro.

High end collectibles - Sideshow.

Model kits - Moebius.

...... but are they necessarily the best? Discuss......

Breakdown
Keizer

Re: What company should get the toy licence??

Post by Breakdown »

I beleive we already have a thread for this, but anyway:

McFarlane

Hot Toys

NECA

Sideshow

Bandai USA
ImageImage

DarkLord
Monarch Researcher

Re: What company should get the toy licence??

Post by DarkLord »

... oops, my bad! I didn't realise.

Good choices, BTW!

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Re: The Merchandise Thread

Post by gatorzilla »

I still think its going to be Bandai. With them showing off new stuff at Toy Fair my guess is that they are getting ready to cash in on the hype.

Bandai owns the Godzilla merchandising rights don't they?
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

Godzilla6014
G-Force Personnel

Re: The Godzilla Merchandise Thread

Post by Godzilla6014 »

I imagine just about any of them wouldn't do a bad job at all. It will probably be likely bandai since they own a good deal of Godzilla toy rights. I guess I'll chose them. However, I think any of them might do a pretty good job knowing how they are in making toys. Hasbro isn't to bad either for producting toys.
Legionmaster wrote:Yeah how dare people talk about the things they like. What assholes.

DarkLord
Monarch Researcher

Post by DarkLord »

Neca and particularly Monster Arts would be dream! ;)
Sideshow Collectibles have picked up the licence for Pacific Rim, so their interest in the Godzilla licence is very possible. :)

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Based on what is going on with Bandai USA lately and them wanting to get involved with the fans I think it is safe to assume that they will be doing the toy line for the new American G movie
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Godzilla toilet paper and diapers.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1