The Merchandise Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Drewzilla
G-Force Personnel

The Merchandise Thread

Post by Drewzilla »

I'm sure we all remember the insane ammount of products that came with the 98 film, the Toco Bell commercials, the cup holders, the toys, hell I have burried someplace a roaring moving pennybank with Zilla on it. Well, we all know that with this film, we'll most likely get the same thing. So, any ideas of the products we'll be seeing with the release?

My guess:

Toys with McDonalds or Burger King.
T-Shirts
Key Chains
Posters
Maybe a deal with some food or drink franchise (Doritoes, Pepsi)
Sneakers
Fruit snacks
coloring books

Also, is there anything in particuler that if you they do release, you would be excited to own?
wataru wrote:DO NOT eat Walmart's Great Value High Fiber Bars - Chocolate. You will fart for HOURS!

I bought a box and couldnt sleep because I kept farting. You doze off and PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT! wake up.

Reptile
GPN Volunteer

Re: Merchandising that'll come with this

Post by Reptile »

A game tie in that lets you play as Godzilla could be cool if done right.

(Of course, almost everything about the above sentence is about as likely as a cold day in Hell, but I can dream...)

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

video game tie in that serves as are new fighting game with godzilla charatcers
action figures
Toys with McDonalds or Burger King.
T-Shirts
Key Chains
Posters
a deal with some food or drink franchise
Shoes maybe
Fruit snacks maybe
coloring books maybe
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

There'll probably be a massive marketing campaign for the new movie. The toys and shirts and all that go without saying, but maybe -and JUST MAYBE- it'll motivate Cerasini to try and get his infamous final novel published...

It's a longshot, but stranger things have happened.
Proud father, husband, and son.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

This will easily have a huge marketing campaign coming along with it.

- Toys
- T.V. Marathon's
- Burger King/ Mc Donalds Toys/ Happy meal ordeals
- Commercials
- Coloring Books
- possibly an Animated Series / Cartoon Series
- Re-Release of all the Toho movies
- Billboards
- Poster's
- Cover of Magazines like ''Horror or Sci-Fi''
- T Shirt's

I am not saying all these will happen but im sure at least half of them probably will.

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

Just caring about a decent game spin-off... and maybe a cool ball cap! ;)
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Tyler wrote:I want that Comic-Con shirt.
Same here.

And they'll definitively make some kind of toy line to go with the film. Maybe a game or better releases DVD of the original series from Sony. And if Cerasini can get his last novel published, that'd be awesome too (if unlikely).

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Think you guys are getting your hopes too high. I mean sure they'll try for an epic marketing campaign, but for some companies I'm sure the failure of G98 is still fresh in their minds. Why do you think the Bandai Creation toys are so hard to find? No, not because they suck - retailers are afraid of Godzilla.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Drewzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by Drewzilla »

I just remembered one.

The soundtrack with a bunch of big name artists who most, if not all of there songs won't be in the movie. Hey though, maybe this time they'll do some kick ass hard rock/heavy metal songs and no shit like P. Diddy butchering Led Zepplin.
wataru wrote:DO NOT eat Walmart's Great Value High Fiber Bars - Chocolate. You will fart for HOURS!

I bought a box and couldnt sleep because I kept farting. You doze off and PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT! wake up.

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

alienhulk2099 wrote:Um, guys? Most of the stuff listed here was actually done with the 1998 version of Godzilla. Like Kane said, it'll be a massive advertisement campaign with merchandise everywhere. The real question is how it'll stack up against other blockbusters planning to merchandise.
But the idea that companies are still afraid of Godzilla is a valid point. Once the advertising campaign ramps up, though, if it takes off big like Cloverfield, for instance, the marketing and merchandising will come soon after.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Hellspawn28 wrote:G98 was 12 years ago, and by the time LP movie comes out then it would be 14 years. Alien/Predator is different since the AVP movies are rather recent, I can understand if they where doing it like five or six years after G98 cameout but it been over a decade since G98 cameout.
Uh, yeah.

Do you see Godzilla DVDs or Bandai Creation toys in most stores?

I sure don't.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

Around my area, I've seen an increase in Godzilla toys. Not sure if they are trying to capitalize on the new LP movies hype or not? But, it is interesting seeing Godzilla figures at CVS Pharmacy. I usually only see them at Kmart or Toys R Us.

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

JVM wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:G98 was 12 years ago, and by the time LP movie comes out then it would be 14 years. Alien/Predator is different since the AVP movies are rather recent, I can understand if they where doing it like five or six years after G98 cameout but it been over a decade since G98 cameout.
Uh, yeah.

Do you see Godzilla DVDs in most stores?
Yes, yes I do.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

JVM wrote:
Uh, yeah.

Do you see Godzilla DVDs or Bandai Creation toys in most stores?

I sure don't.
Dvds I see all the time at walmart, Target, Krogers (Mostly GFW and Gino), Best buy, both classic media and Sony dvds (I just saw the GINO blue-ray the other day at walmart). They also have kaiju dvds as well as Ultraman, Iron King, and super robot red baron. I still see Godzilla unleashed here and there (Wii and PS2 version). I saw the Gojira Blue ray at target not long ago.

Toys I see mostly at Toys R US and comic book stores.

I have also see Godzilla cards, key chains, and onarments a bit as well.

Not to pick on you, but not only are you being Pessimistic, you are being unrealistically pessimistic.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Well maybe my area just sucks ass then because I've only ever found Godzilla DVDs at Best Buy and the figures only at KB and Toys R Us. You also all misunderstood my question since around half of you cited two or three stores. 'Most stores' means several, not just seeing a few BCs at one store.

According to Vinyl Maddness at least, many stores declined on the Bandai Creation figures' first two waves as a result of G98. The first was out in 2002 and the second in 2005.
Not to pick on you, but not only are you being Pessimistic, you are being unrealistically pessimistic.
First off, I'm a pessimist, get used to it. Second off, I'm not being unrealistic at all. I never said there wouldn't be merchandise. I'm just saying people need to quit expecting we're going to get 5,000 new super high-quality OMGWTFBBQ DVD releases and 9,000 super realistic collector's edition Godzilla figures. We'll get some cheap shit and a couple neat little things to capitalize, but it won't be like 1998, and if I'm wrong, I'll record myself drinking toliet water.

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

JVM wrote:Well maybe my area just sucks ass then because I've only ever found Godzilla DVDs at Best Buy and the figures only at KB and Toys R Us. You also all misunderstood my question since around half of you cited two or three stores. 'Most stores' means several, not just seeing a few BCs at one store.
Virtually all video rental/buying stores in Spokane have both the Sony and CM Godzilla DVDs, at least the big ones (Blockbuster, Suncoast, and Hasting's) even have Space Amoeba. I've seen a few of the DVDs at Walmart and K-mart. All of the comic book shops in town (granted there aren't many) carry at least some of the Godzilla figures...

So the DVDs are still all over the place, and still sell. The toys... well, I don't buy the figures retail. Haven't looked since our local KB went under.
First off, I'm a pessimist, get used to it. Second off, I'm not being unrealistic at all. I never said there wouldn't be merchandise. I'm just saying people need to quit expecting we're going to get 5,000 new super high-quality OMGWTFBBQ DVD releases and 9,000 super realistic collector's edition Godzilla figures. We'll get some cheap shit and a couple neat little things to capitalize, but it won't be like 1998, and if I'm wrong, I'll record myself drinking toliet water.
No one is saying we'll get "super high quality" anything. There will probably be rereleases of the DVDs to cash in on it (being an LP summer blockbuster, ANY video store would be stupid not to at least get restocked on the popular ones), they've got the IDW comics in the wings, so-on-and-so-forth.

The marketing, as I said, will hinge on how the anticipation LP manages to build for it before the marketing campaign begins.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

I still see more Godzilla stuff now then i did before the 1998 film.

There are more Godzilla video's now then before, an also more toy's i have seen now that before. That doesn't OMG massive shelves full but there's still more now then what they had in the early 90's in my area.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

JVM wrote:Well maybe my area just sucks ass then because I've only ever found Godzilla DVDs at Best Buy and the figures only at KB and Toys R Us. You also all misunderstood my question since around half of you cited two or three stores. 'Most stores' means several, not just seeing a few BCs at one store.

According to Vinyl Maddness at least, many stores declined on the Bandai Creation figures' first two waves as a result of G98. The first was out in 2002 and the second in 2005.
I am used to Pessimists. And where I think your being unrealistic is thinking companies are gonna be afraid to invest because it's Godzilla or merchandise coming after the movie is out. Not only will it be 14 years later from GINO, but this is a (more than likely) big buget movie coming out. Take Batman begins for example. They had to go through the failure of Batman and Robin and they still had lots of Toys, greeting cards, ect... for Batman Begins when it came out and that was a shorter period of time between the movies, plus Batman at that time was at a low point anyway, Batman beyond did not do well and the most with batman they had was him on JLU t.v. show.
No one is expecting super realistic figures, no one is excepting super duper dvds, no one is excepting a super duber video game, heck no one is excepting the other Godzilla movies not on dvd to be realised on dvd then eighter. The most I except to happen all the dvds sony and classic media have to be put in stores again, mabey those dvds get blue ray versions (similar to Gojira on just being pretty bare bones), movie-tie in greeting cards and toys and that's about it. I think companies will invest some in it to be safe and see approuch then if it does well at the box office then they increase more merchandising.

I was just listing a few general stores, but if you need more, I have seen GFW and GINO at randels and HEB alot as well. While I was a missionary last year in Boulder, Lousville, and Arvada Colorado, I saw GINO, GFW, GMK, G2OOO,Godzilla against Mechagodzilla, Godzilla tokyo SOS,, and Godzilla vs. Megaguirus at the regular Grocery stores all the time (took me by surprise as well).
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Legion1979 wrote:
XxComablack1937xX wrote:I still see more Godzilla stuff now then i did before the 1998 film.
I don't, but that's because I follow Japanese products, and there were a hell of a lot more of them around 1998 or so.
Well i mean like 1991 - 1996... Long before promotion for G-98 was going into play.

I mean Now i can go into almost any video store or any mall an i can find just about any Godzilla film besides a few Showa era films an G-1985 an G- vs- Biollante. Back in the early to mid-90's i couldn't get half of the films i see now without special ordering them.

Green Blockhead
Samurai

Post by Green Blockhead »

Definitly a DVD, duh.

I think a movie storybook would be nice. They do it for films like Spider-Man. It'll be nice to read.
Goodbye Toho Kingdom Forum.