Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Hokmuto wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:08 pm
Vandarker wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:42 pm
Is there a leaked image of the blue thing?
Yeah there is. You can PM because I'm not sure whether I can post it here
Yo can you shoot me that
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:57 pm
Vandarker wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:42 pm
Is there a leaked image of the blue thing?
Yo can you shoot me that
Hit me up with that shiznit pls
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:12 pm
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:57 pm

Yo can you shoot me that
Hit me up with that shiznit pls
Samewise, if you can. Really intrigued by this.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

ernesth100 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:57 pm
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:13 pm
Anyway, my point was that the creatures in the MonsterVerse as a whole have predator - prey relationships; it was not about Godzilla specifically. They simply shouldn't bow and submit. You seem to have misunderstood me.
This simply doesn't make sense since the Titans of the MV are established to have a basic heirchy level of intelligence. Similar to a pack of wolves or lions.

Predator prey relationships don't really make sense for the bigger ones.

What the MV needs is a system on which kaiju fall into and outside the wall of the heirchy.
Did you just completely ignore everything I said before that? Because this would make sense to you if you read anything prior. I was talking about how the monsters functioned prior to GKOTM, and how I preferred the way they were. Not Titans, no Alpha frequencies. Before the bowing and submission. Before creating a hierarchy, and before that hierarchy was compared to wolf or orca families. Back when we only had Godzilla 2014 and Kong: Skull Island out, and none of that existed at all.
Last edited by MegaEvilSaurus666 on Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

So is it Destoroyah or what?

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

obZen wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:40 pm So is it Destoroyah or what?
It's flying in the space(I guess?)

So more like Spacegodzilla than Destoroyah.

Do you guys know that there is a mention about something similar to Spacegodzilla in the official novelization?

It's when Jia tells an Iwi myth to Iline Andrews.

It's like this:
Zo-zla-halawa, he lived in the Long Ago Below, like Kong, like us. He ate a star there and it made him evil. He could throw rays of the star out of his mouth and burn things. So it was decided he could not live in the Long Ago Below.

Iwi and Kong made bonds of friendship. Become one people to fight Zo-zla-halawa. They fought for a long time, trying to make him leave. Something went wrong, I think? Someone broke a taboo, maybe. Anyway, Kong and Iwi traveled together in darkness until we reached the light of this place. We left all of the bad people behind, and the Zo-Zla-halawa, with his stomach star, too.

There was peace for a while, but then some monsters followed us. The Skullcrawlers and some others. Kong’s parents fought them. So did Kong
Iline Andrews and Jia think "Zo-zla-halawa" as Godzilla. Perhaps, it was a misunderstood of Spacegodzilla. Godzilla becoming "evil" sounds awkward so.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

SpaceGodzilla could just be a Godzilla that gained the ability to fly and took off into Space after the war. Godzilla and Kong mistook the war being between them but it was actually both fighting SpaceG.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

Man if MonsterVerse got Destoroyah and SpaceGodzilla that shiz would be off the chain.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I just watched Godzilla vs. Kong in theatres for the third time. My mom joined me. I was afraid she wouldn't watch it with me in theatres because her body has been hurting a lot recently, but she was fine today and decided to watch it in theatres after all. She really liked the movie.

Also, if anyone doesn't know the names of the songs used in this movie, they are "Over The Mountains, Across The Sea" by Bobby Vinton, "Loving Arms" by Elvis Presley, "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest and "The Air That I Breathe" by The Hollies.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

I think it's definitely an allusion to Spacegodzilla. It's depicted as a creature that looks almost exactly like Godzilla (except for a pair of wings) and it's flying above a bunch of Kongs and Godzillas, in what appears to be outer space.

There is an intriguing passage in the GvK novelization as well, about Zo-zla-halawa, a monster from Iwi mythology, who "ate a star" which "made him evil", and could "throw rays of the star out of his mouth and burn things".

I originally thought that this passage was referring to Godzilla himself, but it's weird that the Iwi would describe him as an "evil" being, despite his rivalry with Kong.

It's also interesting that this monster is described as having the ability to throw rays of the star out of his mouth, because that's what "Corona", as in Spacegodzilla's Corona Beam, literally means. The rays of plasma emitted by stars in outer space. (Not the pandemic lol)
Last edited by Vandarker on Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Vandarker wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:00 pm
I think it's definitely an allusion to Spacegodzilla. It's depicted as a creature that looks almost exactly like Godzilla (except for a pair of wings) and it's flying above a bunch of Kongs and Godzillas, in what appears to be outer space.

There is an intriguing passage in the GvK novelization as well, about Zo-zla-halawa, a monster from Iwi mythology, who "ate a star" which "made him evil", and could "throw rays of the star out of his mouth and burn things".

I originally thought that this passage was referring to Godzilla himself, but it's weird that the Iwi would describe him as an "evil" being, despite his rivalry with Kong.

It's also interesting that this monster is described as having the ability to throw rays of the star out of his mouth, because that's what "Corona", as in Spacegodzilla's Corona Beam, literally means. The rays of plasma emitted by stars in outer space. (Not the pandemic lol)
I initially assumed that the reason the Zo-zla-halawa is described as "evil" was due to it being told from the perspective of the Iwi and Kongs who might have misunderstood the actions of Godzilla's kin, but you might be onto something.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

obZen wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:59 pm Man if MonsterVerse got Destoroyah and SpaceGodzilla that shiz would be off the chain.
Destoroyah's final form is sort of a Godzilla clone. SpaceGodzilla is a Godzilla clone. Mechagodzilla is a mechanical Godzilla clone. 11 movies in the franchise have Godzilla facing off against something with his DNA or image, to varying degrees. Why do we need more? That's nearly a third of the franchise right there. Only a handful of Godzilla movies after the Showa series actually created unique creatures.

I'd like to see some originals.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

vastatosaurus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:27 pm

Do you guys know that there is a mention about something similar to Spacegodzilla in the official novelization?

It's like this:
Zo-zla-halawa, he lived in the Long Ago Below, like Kong, like us. He ate a star there and it made him evil. He could throw rays of the star out of his mouth and burn things. So it was decided he could not live in the Long Ago Below.

Iwi and Kong made bonds of friendship. Become one people to fight Zo-zla-halawa. They fought for a long time, trying to make him leave. Something went wrong, I think? Someone broke a taboo, maybe. Anyway, Kong and Iwi traveled together in darkness until we reached the light of this place. We left all of the bad people behind, and the Zo-Zla-halawa, with his stomach star, too.

There was peace for a while, but then some monsters followed us. The Skullcrawlers and some others. Kong’s parents fought them. So did Kong
Iline Andrews and Jia think "Zo-zla-halawa" as Godzilla. Perhaps, it was a misunderstood of Spacegodzilla. Godzilla becoming "evil" sounds awkward so.
Very interesting. Though if he lived in Hollow Earth, how would he have eaten a star there?

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

plasmabeam wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:22 am

It's like this:

Very interesting. Though if he lived in Hollow Earth, how would he have eaten a star there?
It’s not a literal planetary star. That’s probably just their word for the hollow earth energy source
Last edited by Monke on Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Monke wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:19 am
plasmabeam wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:22 am

It's like this:

It’s not a literal planetary star. That’s probably just their word for the hollow earth energy source
Godzilla doesn't absorb Hollow Earth energy, he produces it. He absorbs plain old radiation and converts it into HE energy in the form of his atomic breath, or that's what the novelization says.

The blue winged Godzilla-like figure appears to be descending from outer space, which is colored blue. The figures beneath him, which seems to represent Earth and its inhabitants, are uniformly colored red, even the "normal" Godzillas and their atomic breath. Which probably indicates that the blue coloration doesn't represent Hollow Earth energy, instead it represents something of outer space origin. It's also worth noting that the "normal" Godzillas seem to be attacking the blue figure alongside the Kongs, which would suggest that the blue figure is a common enemy of both species.

UndineUndying
Ronin

Post by UndineUndying »

Vandarker wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:00 pm [...]It's also interesting that this monster is described as having the ability to throw rays of the star out of his mouth, because that's what "Corona", as in Spacegodzilla's Corona Beam, literally means. The rays of plasma emitted by stars in outer space. (Not the pandemic lol)
I still think of the alcoholic beverage when people say that tbh.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Vandarker wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:11 am Godzilla doesn't absorb Hollow Earth energy, he produces it. He absorbs plain old radiation and converts it into HE energy in the form of his atomic breath, or that's what the novelization says.

The blue winged Godzilla-like figure appears to be descending from outer space, which is colored blue. The figures beneath him, which seems to represent Earth and its inhabitants, are uniformly colored red, even the "normal" Godzillas and their atomic breath. Which probably indicates that the blue coloration doesn't represent Hollow Earth energy, instead it represents something of outer space origin. It's also worth noting that the "normal" Godzillas seem to be attacking the blue figure alongside the Kongs, which would suggest that the blue figure is a common enemy of both species.
Interesting. Hope it isn’t Spacegodzilla though. I’d very much rather it be a new, Legendary original titan. I mean, it doesn’t even have crystals, but wings
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:50 am
Vandarker wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:11 am Godzilla doesn't absorb Hollow Earth energy, he produces it. He absorbs plain old radiation and converts it into HE energy in the form of his atomic breath, or that's what the novelization says.

Interesting. Hope it isn’t Spacegodzilla though. I’d very much rather it be a new, Legendary original titan. I mean, it doesn’t even have crystals, but wings
I’d prefer to not see SpaceGodzilla in the MV. Bring on some original baddies

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

I will have a certain level of satisfaction if SpaceGodzilla comes to fruition seeing as how some of the elites here on this board insisted on shooting down anything I entertained when I first landed here regarding the aforementioned monster as ‘too campy’, which I always thought was a cop-out rebuttal anyways given the current standing of the MonsterVerse.

:Destoroyah: :Godzilla68: :Spacegodzilla:

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

There is a lot of gymnastics the writers would have to pull in order to put SpaceGodzilla into the MonsterVerse that it just would not really be feasible or "plausible" given the lore as it has been written. It is not unreasonable but it would likely feel very hamfisted to include those him by name rather than creating a new original kaiju. Hesei series makes the mistake of making Godzilla fight some version of himself three times. Then you would have fans complaining about SGINO because his origin is not 1:1 the same as the Hesei version as we are seeing with people complaining about Singular Point kaiju and Shin.

Narratively, what purpose does SpaceGodzilla serve in the MonsterVerse? It is hard to write him into the story because if you state that Godzilla's species is not native to Earth, then why the hell do they act as the checks & balance system? We throw that out the window (and stating that they have forgone their instincts just would not work). If we go the Hesei route and somehow launch his cells into a blackhole, how and why? What's the lead up to that if not at least 1 movie planting that hook for some reason. There just isn't anything in the established lore that feasibly would support SpaceGodzilla. Maybe at best some version of Super Godzilla could be supported, but nothing extraterrestrial besides Ghidorah and other similar kaiju.

Destoroyah could work, maybe, but people would likely complain that its origin is not 1:1 the same as the Hesei version. You could write Destoroyah without the Oxygen Destroyer but would be better off not using the same name.