Inconsistencies in the Monsterverse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Dv-218
Futurian

Re: Inconsistencies in the Monsterverse

Post by Dv-218 »

I mean, most inconsistencies, as bad as they are, can be explained by the fact that this broken mess was written based on the movie's original script.

But this crap literally has no excuse, it's an embarrasing fuckup on a celestial scale :lol:

Unless they imply that a highly advanced, sapient Synapsid civilization existed during the Permian, then there is no way of getting around this lol.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Dv-218 wrote:I mean, most inconsistencies, as bad as they are, can be explained by the fact that this broken mess was written based on the movie's original script.

But this crap literally has no excuse, it's an embarrasing fuckup on a celestial scale :lol:

Unless they imply that a highly advanced, sapient Synapsid civilization existed during the Permian, then there is no way of getting around this lol.
250 Million Years Ago, when sail boats ruled the sea.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:I mean, most inconsistencies, as bad as they are, can be explained by the fact that this broken mess was written based on the movie's original script.

250 Million Years Ago, when sail boats ruled the oceans.
"And here, we can witness a peaceful tribe of Dimetrodon sapiens performing their usual boat sailing activities in the ancient Permian sea...somehow, completely unaware of the giant flying black liquid thing and the giant crocodile-dinosaur thing fighting right behind them".
Last edited by Dv-218 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

TyrantGojira wrote:I’m surprised nobody is talking about this mistake more often. In Godzilla Awakening there’s panel with the caption that says it takes 250 million years ago..... but in that same panel you can clearly see some sail boats.
Yeahhh, I was wondering what they were...Thought they were boats but wanted to be sure
Edited main article, thx

Added in 2 minutes 43 seconds:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:
TyrantGojira wrote:I’m surprised nobody is talking about this mistake more often. In Godzilla Awakening there’s panel with the caption that says it takes 250 million years ago..... but in that same panel you can clearly see some sail boats.
No, this is definitely something I've always noticed, never understood what fuckary was at hand.
Don't forget the Rock-Golem Godzilla XD

Added in 8 minutes 43 seconds:
Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
Hahahahahahahaha holy crap, this is quite the fuckup lol :lol:
I just kind of assumed that no one ever talks about that one because of just how bad a mistake that one is and that everyone still remembered it! :lol:
Yup, that was me! Thought my book was a misprint, turns out it's not it seems
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I wrote off Awakening as non-canon a long time ago and choose to ignore it. It might as well be what Splinter of the Mind's Eye was for Star Wars: Maybe it was canon when it came out, but enough material has come out since that pretty much renders it easily ignored and inconsequential.

As for inconsistencies between the films, it is weird that in the 2014 film, they pretty clearly state that Monarch was formed in 1954 after Godzilla's discovery, and yet in Skull Island, John Goodman's character is trying to prove that monsters exist, despite the fact that he works for Monarch, an organization that was formed in secret (with government funding by all indications) because it was already proven that monsters exist. The Godzilla reference when he's pleading his case to the Senator sounds like someone trying to prove the 1954 incident was an unconfirmed monster sighting, when in the 2014 film, we were led to believe that it was definitively determined that Godzilla was present at that time and there was no room for debate or a different interpretation.

I mean he works for the organization that already knows monsters are a thing, so who is he trying to prove it too? Not himself, because he should already know, right? Not the public, because Monarch isn't allowed to leak any of the stuff they find. Not to the government because they are the ones funding Monarch in the first place. Maybe no monsters have shown up since Godzilla and it is no longer a top priority and he wants to secure funding for his obsession. I don't know, maybe I need to watch Skull Island again.

I just have a hard time reconciling that he needs to prove monsters exist when it should already be known, if not by the public, then at least within the top class of the government and the organization he works for.
Last edited by GojiDog on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

GojiDog wrote:Maybe no monsters have shown up since Godzilla and it is no longer a top priority and he wants to secure funding for his obsession.
That's how I read it. Yeah, Godzilla showed up in 1954; and no other monsters since then. At best, assuming that Awakening, or something like it did happen, Shinomura also appeared in 1954. They (think that they) killed him/them in 1954. Nothing else has happened. At all. As far as the government is concerned, it was a once off event and Monarch is now just bleeding money for no purpose whatsoever.
Last edited by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

I know it doesn't really matter, but does Godzilla: Awakening specifically say the events taking place "250 million years ago" were during the Permian period? I don't own a copy of it, but 250 million years ago even would've actually been during the Olenekian age of the Early Triassic epoch, not the Permian.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Gerdzerl wrote:I know it doesn't really matter, but does Godzilla: Awakening specifically say the events taking place "250 million years ago" were during the Permian period? I don't own a copy of it, but 250 million years ago even would've actually been during the Olenekian age of the Early Triassic epoch, not the Permian.
I don't think they do- from what I saw, they just state it was "250 million years ago". Though maybe I missed something.
Still, i'm pretty sure early dinosaur ancestors and mammal-like reptiles were not capable of building sail boats :lol:

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Dv-218 wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote:I know it doesn't really matter, but does Godzilla: Awakening specifically say the events taking place "250 million years ago" were during the Permian period? I don't own a copy of it, but 250 million years ago even would've actually been during the Olenekian age of the Early Triassic epoch, not the Permian.
I don't think they do- from what I saw, they just state it was "250 million years ago". Though maybe I missed something.
Still, i'm pretty sure early dinosaur ancestors and mammal-like reptiles were not capable of building sail boats :lol:
Oh, yeah, for sure lol. :lol:

I wonder if it'd be possible to contact any of the folks who made Godzilla: Awakening and ask them some questions about the inconsistencies between it and the films.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Gerdzerl wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:

I wonder if it'd be possible to contact any of the folks who made Godzilla: Awakening and ask them some questions about the inconsistencies between it and the films.
From what i've heard, the main reason for the inconsistencies comes from the fact that it was written based on the movies original script by David S. Goyer- where Godzilla was 600ft tall, Serizawa was called Honda and was older, A godzilla carcass was found in siberia, and Godzilla kills the female MUTO by ripping her neck off while Ford "Maddox" looks up and says "king of the f*cking monsters" with a smile.

No, I am not joking about the last part :lol:

It still does not explain the Shinomura and the 250 million year old Sailors :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Dv-218 wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:

From what i've heard, the main reason for the inconsistencies comes from the fact that it was written based on the movies original script by David S. Goyer- where Godzilla was 600ft tall, Serizawa was called Honda and was older, A godzilla carcass was found in siberia, and Godzilla kills the female MUTO by ripping her neck off while Ford "Maddox" looks up and says "king of the f*cking monsters" with a smile.

It still does not explain the Shinomura and the 250 million year old Sailors :lol:
Where'd you hear that?
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Added in 12 minutes 35 seconds:
Chris55 wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote:

Where'd you hear that?
https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... ritten_by/

This is where the script can be found. Didn't see an official confirmation, but I heard a lot of people say that some of the inconsistencies in Awakening can be explained if it was written based on the early script. It could be wrong tho, i'm not sure.

It certinialy explains why Godzilla is 600ft tall in Awakening, but the rest of the inconsistencies are still unexplainable.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

If Godzilla was 600 feet (182.88 meters) tall in the original script, it makes me wonder how big the male and female M.U.T.O.s would've been in the final film, had that height for Godzilla been kept. Same goes for Shin Godzilla's fourth form and Godzilla Earth, since those were (apparently) purposely made bigger than the MonsterVerse Godzilla.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Gerdzerl wrote:If Godzilla was 600 feet (182.88 meters) tall in the original script, it makes me wonder how big the male and female M.U.T.O.s would've been in the final film, had that height for Godzilla been kept. Same goes for Shin Godzilla's fourth form and Godzilla Earth, since those were (apparently) purposely made bigger than the MonsterVerse Godzilla.
Or better yet, what would Legendary Ghidorah's size be....Honestly i'm scared to imagine :lol:
And GE would have probably been astronomical in scale lol.

What's interesting is that the original script's opening, while more detailed, still makes no mention of the Shinomura. I'm actually intrigued by the amount of inconsistencies Awakening has lol.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

It makes no mention of the Shinomura because the monster hadn’t even been thought up yet.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

GojiDog wrote:Maybe no monsters have shown up since Godzilla and it is no longer a top priority and he wants to secure funding for his obsession.
That's how I read it. Yeah, Godzilla showed up in 1954; and no other monsters since then. At best, assuming that Awakening, or something like it did happen, Shinomura also appeared in 1954. They (think that they) killed him/them in 1954. Nothing else has happened. At all. As far as the government is concerned, it was a once off event and Monarch is now just bleeding money for no purpose whatsoever.
That's kind of how I explain it to myself. Isn't it mentioned in Skull Island that Monarch may be shut down? This is my specific head canon:

- Monarch is founded in 1946 (as per the Monarch Timeline) to investigate strange occurrences like the USS Lawton incident. From a political standpoint, it is also used to bring the US and Japan together and help mend the relationship by having them work under the same coalition.

- Godzilla is discovered in 1954, and promptly nuked at Castle Bravo. This is an isolated incident that only Monarch and the highest ranking military and government officials know about. He is not seen again until 2014, which leads the military in believing they killed him with the nuke.

- From 1954-1973, there is absolutely no evidence of any other giant monsters existing. No sightings, no leads, nothing. As a result, funding Monarch is not a priority after 15 years of no sightings. When the US gets involved in the Vietnam War, there is no longer any justification for funding a monster hunting organization. This urgency is what fueled Randa's last ditch effort to go to Skull Island. The conversation he had with the Senator went the way it did because he was talking with someone who had no idea about Godzilla and the Castle Bravo cover-up...that's above a senator's pay grade :lol:

Some of this may be a stretch, but that's how I get passed the inconsistencies in my OCD head lol.
Last edited by AtomicMorningBreath on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote:
That's kind of how I explain it to myself. Isn't it mentioned in Skull Island that Monarch may be shut down? This is my specific head canon:

- Monarch is founded in 1946 (as per the Monarch Timeline) to investigate strange occurrences like the USS Lawton incident. From a political standpoint, it is also used to bring the US and Japan together and help mend the relationship by having them work under the same coalition.

- Godzilla is discovered in 1954, and promptly nuked at Castle Bravo. This is an isolated incident that only Monarch and the highest ranking military and government officials know about. He is not seen again until 2014, which leads the military in believing they killed him with the nuke.

- From 1954-1973, there is absolutely no evidence of any other giant monsters existing. No sightings, no leads, nothing. As a result, funding Monarch is not a priority after 15 years of no sightings. When the US gets involved in the Vietnam War, there is no longer any justification for funding a monster hunting organization. This urgency is what fueled Randa's last ditch effort to go to Skull Island. The conversation he had with the Senator went the way it did because he was talking with someone who had no idea about Godzilla and the Castle Bravo cover-up...that's above a senator's pay grade :lol:

Some of this may be a stretch, but that's how I get passed the inconsistencies in my OCD head lol.
Doesn't Senator O'Brien say that the creature they blew up was "probably just a whale caught in the blast" tho? or is that just the novelization?
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D