Is Mothra really dead?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Peter
GPN Volunteer

Is Mothra really dead?

Post by Peter »

We all know that back in Final Wars, Gigan set Mothra ablaze with his shotgun laser, then she charged into him causing an explosion that killed both of them in the process. But if we look back at Tokyo SOS, there was two Mothra Larvae. Their mother protected them by sacrificing herself in Godzilla's atomic breath. Both larvae survived, so only one of them had to be the Mothra in Final Wars, right? So my theory is that the Mothra legacy is still alive because of that one larvae that didn't appear after Tokyo SOS.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Re: Is Mothra really dead?

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Peter wrote:We all know that back in Final Wars, Gigan set Mothra ablaze with his shotgun laser, then she charged into him causing an explosion that killed both of them in the process. But if we look back at Tokyo SOS, there was two Mothra Larvae. Their mother protected them by sacrificing herself in Godzilla's atomic breath. Both larvae survived, so only one of them had to be the Mothra in Final Wars, right? So my theory is that the Mothra legacy is still alive because of that one larvae that didn't appear after Tokyo SOS.
Tokyo SOS and Final Wars don't take place in the same continuity, so the theory is immediately debunked. The only connection is that they use the same Mothra prop, which isn't grounds for an in-canon lineage.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Gojisan866
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gojisan866 »

Also, supposedly there was a post-credits scene in Final Wars where Mothra is seen flying back to Infant Island... So I've heard... I'm not entirely sure it exists, as I read about it on teh interwebz.
I'm back? I guess. Haven't posted here in a loooooong time.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Gojisan866 wrote:Also, supposedly there was a post-credits scene in Final Wars where Mothra is seen flying back to Infant Island... So I've heard... I'm not entirely sure it exists, as I read about it on teh interwebz.
It's there. It's just easy to miss in the montage of other scenes and with the credits playing over it.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Technically, it's not post credit; it plays during the credits.

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

I think that scene is just supposed to add to the whole "Look! Everything is perfect and happy on Earth now!" it doesn't bug me (obviously), but yeah.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

thatsoundman
Monarch Researcher

Post by thatsoundman »

I have seen a lot of Mothra through the years and one thing stands out - if there is an adult Mothra then there is an egg someplace to replace it.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Not here though. Something else Kitamura f***ed up.

thatsoundman
Monarch Researcher

Post by thatsoundman »

RedZillaKing wrote:Not here though. Something else Kitamura f***ed up.
without stretching the imagination too far, it is feasible.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

What's this? My sweet Mothra dead? LIAR LIAR ASS ON FIRE! Admit it... you... made it... up.
On Topic: There will always be another Mothra to replace, but I'm going with what TokyoVigilante said though.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

JKN
Samurai

Post by JKN »

Living Corpse wrote:Battra is better. He doesn't need offspring to replace him, he's just reborn again sometime after dying. :P
List on what to do

Try and kill humans
Protect Planet
Knock up Mortha
Die

Restart Cycle
-I must be like the only sane person who liked Zilla

JKN
Samurai

Post by JKN »

Living Corpse wrote:
JKN wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Battra is better. He doesn't need offspring to replace him, he's just reborn again sometime after dying. :P
List on what to do

Try and kill humans
Protect Planet
Knock up Mortha
Die

Restart Cycle
I wonder if he can stop his change into adult form or at least delay it. It's gotta suck going from armored tank that can give Godzilla a headache to lightly armored moth that needs help from his enemy to take down Godzilla against your will, especially when in the middle of fighting said monster.

Oh well, the bright side of his rebirth is he gets to go back to his badass armored Caterpillar form again.
Pft he was doing it to impress the lady,
-I must be like the only sane person who liked Zilla

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

In my opinion Final Wars is a different story from Tokyo SOS. Anyway is Mothra really dead, in my opinion, no, at the end credits we see her flying back to the island, so to me that pretty much says it all.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

thatsoundman
Monarch Researcher

Post by thatsoundman »

TokyoVigilante wrote:
Gojisan866 wrote:Also, supposedly there was a post-credits scene in Final Wars where Mothra is seen flying back to Infant Island... So I've heard... I'm not entirely sure it exists, as I read about it on teh interwebz.
It's there. It's just easy to miss in the montage of other scenes and with the credits playing over it.
Just watched it again and it and some other items are there as well...

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Mothra is always reborn, so you can be sure they'll be another giant moth.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

thatsoundman wrote:Just watched it again and it and some other items are there as well...
Is this on the R1 sony release, or only the original Japanese version? (I cant be sure I ever watched after the credits, and I've probably only watched this film 3 or 4 times)
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The footage of Mothra flying back to Infant Island can clearly be seen on any version of the film. The international version is exactly the same, just with English credits.

The credits are full of unused SPX footage, and I can understand why that can be jarring to some viewers.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

But is that a deleted scene? Cause Hedorah is also shown alive, so looks like he's also back in action.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Well yea, since Mothra clearly dies in the film.

That's what I meant by "unused SPX footage". Second-long clips don't amount to what I'd called "deleted scenes".
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

Well then, that's quite annoying definitely. I use to think she came back alive, then Hedorah was alive leading in to a future film, ha.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.