Final Wars: Why all the Hate?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Final Wars: Why all the Hate?

Post by Goji »

Had someone else directed, it may have turned out differently, and not been as stylized, or universally panned as it was. That's more or less all I'm saying. Obviously there's no way to know, but there's also no use in crying over spilt milk, so I don't dwell on the 'what if's' all that much when discussing it.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

Legion1979 wrote: I find another common problem is people incessantly "white knighting" this movie. But I'm sure you wouldn't agree.
The people that enjoy the movie are going to defend it.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Gojira1963 wrote: The style of the movie and attempts to be hip did turn me off at first. After seeing some other examples of movies in a similar style I understood more what the director was aiming for so in that context it bothered me less.
I more or less know what he was aiming for, but said style is far too obnoxious for me to get any enjoyment out of, I'm afraid.
For myself the style then became part of its charm. The style does remind me of less serious showa Godzilla movies such as Hedorah, Gigan and Megalon movies. FW takes those styles and turns the volume up a notch or two.
"turns the volume up a notch or two", in what sense? A lot of people that like or even love those films you mentioned can't stand FINAL WARS, so obviously the 'increased volume' isn't a positive for everyone. :P. We're talking about movies that were made 30 years apart, and the only similarities they share is that they're Godzilla movies, and are a little more lighthearted than usual.
When you say that the a a "turn your brain off and just roll with it" is not a proper defense, what do you mean by that? A defense of what, whether or not the movie is good or bad or a defense in how people can enjoy the movie?
It's like me saying "TROLL 2 is the best worst movie ever, so I don't get how anyone couldn't enjoy it". It's using the film's weakness's as a defense for why someone should enjoy it. It's juvenile.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.