Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

g2vd wrote:You know I'm honestly surprised that nobody's mentioned what with the release of Godzilla The Game, we now know that G2000 definitely continues from some version of 1954.
It's news, but nothing shocking or groundbreaking like 2000 shares continuity with Heisei or something else super ridiculous. A lot of people are also dubious of where they get their info.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

g2vd wrote:You know I'm honestly surprised that nobody's mentioned what with the release of Godzilla The Game, we now know that G2000 definitely continues from some version of 1954.
Unsurprising, but that's the same guide that claims KiryuGoji is the same Godzilla as the '54 monster when it's CLEARLY Kiryu itself.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Space Hunter M wrote:
Unsurprising, but that's the same guide that claims KiryuGoji is the same Godzilla as the '54 monster when it's CLEARLY Kiryu itself.
Wait what?..How did I miss that...yeah there were definitely translation issues some pretty huge ones.
Godzilla

Barkley
Samurai

Post by Barkley »

3000 wrote:I have to agree with Mini-Godzilla... this movie bores the ever loving shit out of me. One of my least favorite millenium entries.
It's so bad. G98 was bad enough for the Godzilla brand, then this cheesefest came out and sets Godzilla's image back another couple decades. We're just now coming out of that and the big guy is being taken seriously again!

-Barkley
"It's Charles, not Gnarls".

Proud G-fan since 1968!!

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Barkley wrote:
3000 wrote:I have to agree with Mini-Godzilla... this movie bores the ever loving shit out of me. One of my least favorite millenium entries.
It's so bad. G98 was bad enough for the Godzilla brand, then this cheesefest came out and sets Godzilla's image back another couple decades. We're just now coming out of that and the big guy is being taken seriously again!

-Barkley
....What? Your telling me G2000 set it back DECADES?! How many decades if it's two than it's 1979 and no G movies were out at that time, so what do you mean it sent it all the way back to the 60s or 70s? If you want films that completely destroy G's reputation watch GVM:TBFE, GVSG, GVKG now you have total cheezefests. how is G2000 such a total cheeseburger of epic proportions it's tone is no different than a early 60s film.
Godzilla

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

I don't understand this forum some times.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Space Hunter M wrote:Look at what I found today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svlng59royU
Awesome. Like looking into a time-machine. Nice find.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

What's with everyone hating on this movie all of a sudden, sure it has its problems but I thought it was the best one that came out of the 2000 era, but then again it could just be the nastalgic talking because I saw this on HBO before I saw any Heisei movies when I was a kid (I MIGHT have seen Biollante first IDR)
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Barkley wrote: It's so bad. G98 was bad enough for the Godzilla brand, then this cheesefest came out and sets Godzilla's image back another couple decades.
What the actual fuck are you talking about? This movie revitalized the goddamn brand in Japan, without it we probably would've had to have waited another five years for another film.

I don't care if you think the movie's bad, but saying that it ruined Godzilla's image is bullshit.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Re: Above: I get that it leans hard on some of the tongue-in-cheek cheesiness -- incorporating a lot of the wackier '60s elements -- but I think it also does hands-down the best job at modernizing them outside of vs. King Ghidorah, and it's a more solid, approachable film than that. If it's not a particularly smart, relevant movie (something I think more Godzilla films should strive to be, but oh well), it's at least incredibly fun.

Maybe it doubled down on some of the franchise's recognizable "cheesy" elements, but very rarely outside of the Showa films have they been rendered so charming.

I just have zero shade to throw at this entry. It does its job, and does it well.
Last edited by Rodan on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Barkley wrote: It's so bad. G98 was bad enough for the Godzilla brand, then this cheesefest came out and sets Godzilla's image back another couple decades.
What the actual skreeonk are you talking about? This movie revitalized the goddamn brand in Japan, without it we probably would've had to have waited another five years for another film.

I don't care if you think the movie's bad, but saying that it ruined Godzilla's image is bullshit.
That is partially true it is the 2nd highest attended Millennium film, but it's attendance only matched the lowest attended Heisei film which was Godzilla Vs Biollante. Not sure how well it was received when it first was released, but currently it ranks amongst the least popular films in the franchise. Down at the very bottom with All Monsters Attack and Godzilla Vs Megalon with the Japanese fanbase.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

I've always found the charges against the CGI in this movie to be somewhat over exaggerated. I'm not saying it's great, but I remember being impressed with it in the 00's. Moreover, if you look at CGI from American films around the same time, it's not significantly better. The baby zillas in G '98 being a good example.

The CGI's also preferable to the practical alternative in a lot of cases. For example, I'd rather have CGI jets and helicopters that hit their targets than miniatures that shoot aimless firecrackers.

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

godzillalives88 wrote:I've always found the charges against the CGI in this movie to be somewhat over exaggerated. I'm not saying it's great, but I remember being impressed with it in the 00's. Moreover, if you look at CGI from American films around the same time, it's not significantly better. The baby zillas in G '98 being a good example.

The CGI's also preferable to the practical alternative in a lot of cases. For example, I'd rather have CGI jets and helicopters that hit their targets than miniatures that shoot aimless firecrackers.

I believe the problem is less in the CGI (which WAS pretty bad, but good for its time imo) but the transition from suit to CGI being too jarring of a change in a short time. Didnt blend well, looked worse cause of it.
Member of TK Since 2006

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

godzillalives88 wrote:I've always found the charges against the CGI in this movie to be somewhat over exaggerated. I'm not saying it's great, but I remember being impressed with it in the 00's. Moreover, if you look at CGI from American films around the same time, it's not significantly better. The baby zillas in G '98 being a good example.

Indeed, but actually they weren't really firecrackers those things were actually pretty damn dangerous.
Godzilla

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I tried to rewatch this film recently. The VCR ate my tape ( ._.)

Generally I've had a positive opinion of G2000. It's easily the best Millennium film after GMK and arguably the most accessible. I always liked the human cast and felt it was a waste that subsequent films didn't build on the characters introduced here. Orga is an interesting adversary, though I feel like G2000 could have worked well as a solo Godzilla film. The CCI vs GPN subplot was compelling enough on its own that it could have been the main conflict. Godzilla's destruction scenes are very effective, especially the opening chase; maybe wouldn't have been as entertaining without the other monster, but I'd still pay to see a whole movie like that.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Barkley wrote: It's so bad. G98 was bad enough for the Godzilla brand, then this cheesefest came out and sets Godzilla's image back another couple decades. We're just now coming out of that and the big guy is being taken seriously again!

-Barkley
...What the fuck did I just read?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

KaijuFiend wrote:
Barkley wrote: It's so bad. G98 was bad enough for the Godzilla brand, then this cheesefest came out and sets Godzilla's image back another couple decades. We're just now coming out of that and the big guy is being taken seriously again!

-Barkley
...What the skreeonk did I just read?
Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I mean, it's one thing to say you found the film cheesy. I'll agree it has its fair share of cheese. But "sets Godzilla's image back another couple decades"? As far as I know, Godzilla 2000 made Godzilla respectable again in Japan, and wasn't that widely known or talked about in the US. The prevailing opinion of "Godzilla = cheesy" that the US has is primarily based on the Champion-era films getting a lot of airplay in the 80s and 90s. This film is far less cheesy than them, and less cheesy than the 90s Heisei films for that matter. The only Millennium G-film that really out-cheeses the films I mentioned is Final Wars. So I honestly don't understand how Godzilla 2000 harms Godzilla's image in any way.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.
Sig'd.
Resized Image

Barkley
Samurai

Post by Barkley »

You guys crack me up! :g2k: Us older fans knew how to embarrassing and detrimental this movie was. Trust me, anyone over 35 on this forum agrees!

-Barkley
"It's Charles, not Gnarls".

Proud G-fan since 1968!!