Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Re: Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Godzilla The King wrote:
Stevo_1985 wrote:Was never a fan. I felt it could have been alot better. Someone jog my memory was this the one where the inserted the new g suit into the old 54 film. Its been so long since ive watched any of the milinia series.
No, that is Megaguirus though since it uses the same suit I can see how you'd confuse the two.

Ahhh ok. Thank you. Speaking of which. Interestinf concept but poorly executed I find. I feel like the original 54 suit looked more real then that did.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Stevo_1985 wrote:Was never a fan. I felt it could have been alot better. Someone jog my memory was this the one where the inserted the new g suit into the old 54 film. Its been so long since ive watched any of the milinia series.
Pro-tip: Know which movie you're talking about before weighing in on it.

"Was Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964) the one with Battra? GOD THAT MOVIE SUCKS"
Last edited by tymon on Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

kindred.dread wrote:It's been a long while, but I don't recall liking this film. The special effects really bother me, they're just so bad when they're not using traditional effects. Normally this isn't an issue when it's just suitmation and miniatures, but you've got that pathetic green screen and the horrible scene of Godzilla swimming underwater. The plot also isn't particularly standout to me but that isn't to say it's bad either. That's what sums up this whole movie, in fact... it's not bad or good, it just feels somewhat low-key, by the numbers, and rushed.
That green screen shot was very obvious. It seemed rather lazy, but I think the production of this film was rushed.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

If there's something that I like about the movie, fairly, is that in a way, it adds elements to what a Godzilla movie normally has. A "good" introduction movie to what the fans could consider to be the 'usual' Godzilla movie.

Monster fights, [Insert Word] acting, action, destruction scenes, army fight scenes, etc.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Can someone expound any details about what sort of transfer Toho's VHS of the film is like? (or bootlegs sourced from it). Does it have the more neutral palette of the R2 and Korean DVDs, or is it murky and green like the Universe R3 and HDTV versions?

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

Space Hunter M wrote:Can someone expound any details about what sort of transfer Toho's VHS of the film is like? (or bootlegs sourced from it). Does it have the more neutral palette of the R2 and Korean DVDs, or is it murky and green like the Universe R3 and HDTV versions?
First thing I saw was "VHS;" made me think "man, it's been ages since I've dealt with VHS videocassettes.

What exactly were you referring to when you said "transfer?" Are we talking about mass-production of the movies during the VHS years?
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

skuzzy-punk-kid wrote: First thing I saw was "VHS;" made me think "man, it's been ages since I've dealt with VHS videocassettes.

What exactly were you referring to when you said "transfer?" Are we talking about mass-production of the movies during the VHS years?
You're a really helpful person. Thank you for weighing in.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

Space Hunter M wrote:
skuzzy-punk-kid wrote: First thing I saw was "VHS;" made me think "man, it's been ages since I've dealt with VHS videocassettes.

You're a really helpful person. Thank you for weighing in.
Were you being sincere, or were you being sarcastic?
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

I tried revisiting this flick last night, and I was pretty disappointed. The first ten minutes or so are great, and the ending is pretty solid as well, but for most of the runtime, it's a bore. I do like the characters when they're actually allowed to be human beings and not exposition machines. The movie might have worked better if it had stuck with Godzilla all by his lonesome and scrapped the UFO. Oh, and keep the Big G out of the daylight! The modern suits (i.e. post-Showa Gojis) always look a little shabby when overlit, but with this particular costume design, it's especially egregious. He looks every bit like he's made out of rubber.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

Mini-Godzilla wrote:I tried revisiting this flick last night, and I was pretty disappointed. The first ten minutes or so are great, and the ending is pretty solid as well, but for most of the runtime, it's a bore. I do like the characters when they're actually allowed to be human beings and not exposition machines. The movie might have worked better if it had stuck with Godzilla all by his lonesome and scrapped the UFO. Oh, and keep the Big G out of the daylight! The modern suits (i.e. post-Showa Gojis) always look a little shabby when overlit, but with this particular costume design, it's especially egregious. He looks every bit like he's made out of rubber.

I.... Heavily disagree. I'd say G2000 was one of the most realistic suits, and looked miles better in bright light than any of his Showa counterparts. The texturing of the skin, the pain, the eyes.... All vastly superior to most of Heisei and pretty much all of Showa, imo.

Also, insofar as story goes, I'd say this was one of the most human, grounded, well-executed Godzilla movies made. At its core, the human storyline is about a family, and its respective members, trying to heal old wounds, except new members, and accept the loss of old friends.

Compare that to most of Heisei, which was generally "MonSTERS?? in JaPAN? ANd They are K I L L I N G ONEANOTHEr wiTH SPARKS". Or Showa, which was solid half the time, and basically the film equivelant of Mad-Libs the other half. It might not be the single best Godzilla film insofar as solid story goes, but it's pretty far up there.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Vatarian wrote:I.... Heavily disagree.
And you are free to disagree. Of course, my opinions are facts, so... :P
At its core, the human storyline is about a family, and its respective members, trying to heal old wounds, except new members, and accept the loss of old friends.
If only. Those ideas are given lip service, but for the most part, the human storyline is about a bunch of people yakking nonstop about UFOs and Regenerator/Organizer G1. As I said, I do like the characters, and the few hints of what you have noted are welcome, but there's far too little of it. It was a bit depressing because I had thought that there was more of it! Lousy faulty memory. Anyway, Godzilla X Mechagodzilla did it a whole lot better a few years later.
Compare that to most of Heisei
Hey, just because I criticize a Millennium film doesn't mean that I have any affinity for the Heisei series. ;)
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

three
Keizer

Post by three »

aye, my thoughts on this movie are that it could have been better, but it most certainly could have been worse (especially compared to what came after it over the course of the 2000s); overall it was pretty good though. and i concur that GXMG did the same story better than this film.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

This is my favorite of the millennium films. I loved the characters, the suits and with the exception of some terrible matte shots and CGI, the spfx of this film are pretty awesome particularly the scene where the UFO uses the cables to drag Godzilla around. Also I loved the full metal missile attack.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Katagiri's death scene in seven languages.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Space Hunter M wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz8Va6ZxmLY
Katagiri's death scene in seven languages.
MAJESTIC. Nice to see one of the best moments in the movie in different languages. Thanks for bringing these kind of details in the home-video releases, Space Hunter M. :)
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

I just rewatched this one with my girlfriend a couple of months ago. I chose to show her this one because it was always one of if not my favorite Godzilla film, and the first one I ever seen. Of course watching it the cheesiness of it all and such is fairly obvious (as it would be with most of them), but I still heavily enjoyed it. I still think the music on the US version I have is terrific and very well placed, the Godzilla suit is one of the best, the final battle is still kinda cool by G film standards, and the ending is epic.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

GodzillaDude wrote:I just rewatched this one with my girlfriend a couple of months ago. I chose to show her this one because it was always one of if not my favorite Godzilla film, and the first one I ever seen. Of course watching it the cheesiness of it all and such is fairly obvious (as it would be with most of them), but I still heavily enjoyed it. I still think the music on the US version I have is terrific and very well placed, the Godzilla suit is one of the best, the final battle is still kinda cool by G film standards, and the ending is epic.
How did she find it out of curiosity?

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Look at what I found today:

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

I have to agree with Mini-Godzilla... this movie bores the ever loving shit out of me. One of my least favorite millenium entries.
Member of TK Since 2006

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

You know I'm honestly surprised that nobody's mentioned what with the release of Godzilla The Game, we now know that G2000 definitely continues from some version of 1954.
Godzilla