Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

Post by GigaBowserG »

So if I'm reading the text correctly... it's saying G2000 has "landed in Japan numerous times" since 1945. The only reason for the arrows is to point out how it's the 4th generation of Godzilla (1954 is first generation, Showa is 2nd generation, Heisei is 3rd generation).
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GigaBowserG wrote:So if I'm reading the text correctly... it's saying G2000 has "landed in Japan numerous times" since 1945. The only reason for the arrows is to point out how it's the 4th generation of Godzilla (1954 is first generation, Showa is 2nd generation, Heisei is 3rd generation).
But why would they have arrows pointing from the 1st gen Godzilla to all subsequent generations? I think that suggests that the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen Godzillas are supposed to be linked to the original character/film.

And I bet "1945" is a typo and should be "1954".

Here's the text for those who may want to translate it themselves:

1945ねんいらい, いくどとなくにほんにじょうりく.
していたという, 4だいめのしんゴジラ.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Terasawa wrote:Here's the text for those who may want to translate it themselves:

1945ねんいらい, いくどとなくにほんにじょうりく.
していたという, 4だいめのしんゴジラ.
"This new, fourth generation of Godzilla (is) said to have made landfall in Japan many times since 1945."

So yeah; the only thing on the page overtly implying a connection that I can see is the arrow from the '54 film to each of the other series. Nothing in the text box for 2000/Series 3 firmly establishes their relationship. And "fourth generation" in this case could equally well be translated as "fourth version." It's just establishing that it's the next distinct version of the monster in the real world.

Which does seem to indicate, actually, that at least as of that guide, Toho/the author considered it a distinct monster from the '54 version. Though since it's so radically different either way, who knows; it's not much a statement on the fiction. It could be considered the fourth distinct Godzilla character, while having no in-universe connection to the original.

Also, '45 has to be a typo. Or someone was dead set on moving Godzilla 2000's origins back ten years for no reason.

EDIT--

For what it's worth, here's a rough go at the text box for the '54 Godzilla:

"水爆実験によって目覚めた怪獣・初代ゴジラは東京に上陸。恐るべき白熱光を吐き、街を火の海にして暴れるが、最後は芹沢博士の開発したオキシジェンデストロイヤーによって絶滅する。"

"A monster awakened by hydrogen bombs, the original Godzilla makes landfall in Tokyo. Spitting a terrifying, white-hot ray, his rampage turns the streets of Tokyo into a sea of flames, though he is ultimately defeated by the Oxygen Destroyer invented by Dr. Serizawa."

Nothing on connection or chronology there.

The Showa Godzilla box specifically mentions its Godzilla appearing the year after the original Godzilla dies, and the Heisei Godzilla box mentions its Godzilla appearing near Daikoku-jima "30 years after the original." So Godzilla 2000's vagueness is the odd man out. It's the only sequel to not mention "_____ years since the original (Godzilla)" at all.

It's still completely ambiguous. Unless 1945 isn't a mistake (that year still holds significance via the atomic bombings), in which case it's outright confirming it's a completely alternate universe from the original. But that's such a big statement, and this is so clearly a children's guide, I'd have trouble believing that information wouldn't be repeated somewhere else, like in one of the various otaku-targeted books or magazines.

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

Hey does anybody know the name of the artist that did the poster for Godzilla 2000, the painted one?
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

godzilla5417 wrote:Hey does anybody know the name of the artist that did the poster for Godzilla 2000, the painted one?
Define "the painted one"
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

F4ZaTE_X wrote:
godzilla5417 wrote:Hey does anybody know the name of the artist that did the poster for Godzilla 2000, the painted one?
Define "the painted one"

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Interview with Michael Schlesinger by Bob Johnson, G-Fan #48.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

Mechagigan wrote:
F4ZaTE_X wrote:
Define "the painted one"
http://www.impawards.com/2000/posters/g ... ousand.jpg
Oh yeah. Forgot that one existed.
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

My first Godzilla film EVER. It may not be in my top 10, but it's close, and I still have a soft spot for it just for introducing me to Godzilla.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

This movie had so much potential for a sequel. Following the steps of destruction of Godzilla and fighting other meneaces.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

I love this movie, this is my 4th favorite godzilla movie of all time just the suit design of godzilla it is my favorite design of all time just the look and the dorsal plates look cool.
Orga he looks cool i like his roar it makes him sound menacing and evil and when he tried to eat godzilla the king of the monsters gave him a brutal fatality and BOOM he exploded. I just like this movie i recommend it give it a watch if you have not seen it.
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

This one has a special place in my heart for being the first and only toho godzilla film I saw in theaters. It's also my second favorite Godzilla movie.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

The true stand alone movie. No background given to this Godzilla at all other than he's been around for a while. It's because of this one we don't know if it's yet another incarnation of the 1954 Godzilla, a legacy character showing up after the death of 1954, or an original Godzilla like Shin showing up a while ago.

It's this Godzilla where we are like "there are 4 versions of 1954 Godzilla in the Millennium era, maybe 5-ish."

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Living Corpse wrote:The true stand alone movie. No background given to this Godzilla at all other than he's been around for a while. It's because of this one we don't know if it's yet another incarnation of the 1954 Godzilla, a legacy character showing up after the death of 1954, or an original Godzilla like Shin showing up a while ago.

It's this Godzilla where we are like "there are 4 versions of 1954 Godzilla in the Millennium era, maybe 5-ish."
In the guide book for the film from Toho it is confirmed that the Godzilla in this film is the second to appear and that it appeared after the 1954 Godzilla.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Godzillian wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:The true stand alone movie. No background given to this Godzilla at all other than he's been around for a while. It's because of this one we don't know if it's yet another incarnation of the 1954 Godzilla, a legacy character showing up after the death of 1954, or an original Godzilla like Shin showing up a while ago.

In the guide book for the film from Toho it is confirmed that the Godzilla in this film is the second to appear and that it appeared after the 1954 Godzilla.
Well that's one mystery solved.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

And now life feels just a little bit less special.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I've always wondered why they decided to change the color of Godzilla's atomic breath for this film.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Dr. Professor wrote:I've always wondered why they decided to change the color of Godzilla's atomic breath for this film.
Maybe just an aesthetic decision, they changed Godzilla's color palette as a whole.
Or maybe they were just experimenting with the new CGI. The Millenium series have some pretty experimental elements.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I think they were just trying to bring the old style Godzilla back but with a totally new coat of paint. Everything else about him like his fins and skin color were changed considerably so changing his breath makes sense there.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

^Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I gotta say though, I love the shit out of those purple spines.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa: