Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

Post by Vatarian »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:I liked this movie, particularly because of the characters. Their intertwining backstories gave the movie something the series hadn't really seen before.
Yeah. I really don't get how people can call this generic, boring, and corny while then upholding certain generic, boring, and corny things as vastly superior.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Finally got around to seeing the Japanese version of Godzilla 2000, and yes, the English version is superior. Mind you, it's not a huge improvement, many of the movie underlying problems still remain, but cutting out twenty and forty second chunks here and there really does improve the pacing of the film tremendously and Takayuki Hattori's score is so dull that even the stock music they used for the dub is a big upgrade. And some of the English dub's over-the-top hamminess makes the film more entertaining and memorable, so yeah, I think I'll continue to watch this one dubbed now that I've done my due diligence.

2009MECHAGODZILLA
Futurian

Post by 2009MECHAGODZILLA »

While I agree that this film has many flaws, it is one of my top 5 Goji films, partly due to nostalgic memories of when I was five, eating pizza with my parents on a Saturday night with this movie playing, the epic sound effects and soundtrack blasting on the stereo, thinking this Goji was a female for some reason. I still watch it every now and then, and I still love it as much as I used to. I recently watched the Japanese version for the first time, and I actually hated it. Most of the things that I read in this thread that list the things wrong with this movie seem to apply to the Japanese version more than the American version. It was so jarring actually feeling bored watching Godzilla 2000 that I didn't even watch the Japanese version all the way through and switched it with the American version. :g2k:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21114

Commission prices: https://www.deviantart.com/snake151/jou ... -848926845
"Disappointing! Re-watch the 1954 original. THAT is the correct form!!!"

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

ading to what vatarian daid
11.-The Godzilla march right before the final showdown, really that is probably the first and only reason that get me started in listening ''clasical'' type of music, besides it just rolls out of the tongue ''tadada tadada DADADADA!!''

12.-It give us ''GODZILLLLAAA!!'' and ''Maybe godzilla is in all of us''

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

This was a good movie, but I preferred the plot and music of Godzilla × Megaguirus.

Godzilla 2000 was the first Godzilla movie I saw (I didn't get into Godzilla until 2007-ish) and I loved it-until I saw the others. It's still one of my favorites, don't get me wrong, but not the best.
Last edited by F4ZaTE_X on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

2009MECHAGODZILLA
Futurian

Post by 2009MECHAGODZILLA »

F4ZaTE_X wrote:
wrote:"ading to what vatarian daid
11.-The Godzilla march right before the final showdown, really that is probably the first and only reason that get me started in listening ''clasical'' type of music, besides it just rolls out of the tongue ''tadada tadada DADADADA!!''

Don't forget the Japanese pronunciation of "Godzilla's Leaving" ("Gojira sukdik")
Wrong movie, you're thinking of Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21114

Commission prices: https://www.deviantart.com/snake151/jou ... -848926845
"Disappointing! Re-watch the 1954 original. THAT is the correct form!!!"

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
F4ZaTE_X wrote:
Janjira-York wrote:adding to what vatarian daid

Don't forget the Japanese pronunciation of "Godzilla's Leaving" ("Gojira sukdik")

What? I could have sworn it was G2K
Last edited by F4ZaTE_X on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

F4ZaTE_X wrote:
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
F4ZaTE_X wrote:

What? I could have sworn it was G2K
Okay, yeah, I'm a dumbass. It was G×MG.
Last edited by F4ZaTE_X on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

My personal favorite lines are: "these missiles will go through Godzilla like crap through a goose" and "nice try, asshole". These awesome little quotes are what really seal the deal in dub vs. sub for me.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Having just recently watched the Japanese version for the first time, and having pretty much the entire American version committed to memory, I was able to finally make a good comparison between the two.

It's very frustrating to see such a incomplete cuts of the film. While I'm perfectly ok with the darker tone and "slower" pacing of the Japanese cut, the dub has the edge due to the vastly superior foley, and better music during the final act (except for the intro of Orga, which is actually great in both versions. Yes, the American version adds in the booming Godzilla theme, but the Japanese version plays more maturely, almost like a horror reveal.) I mean, my God, I hope Toho fired whoever the hell did the sound effects for this movie. Absolutely nothing has any oomph to it, and it almost ruins the whole damn thing. I should point out, though, that I actually really like the UFO being silent in the Japanese version. It gives it a very effective otherworldly vibe, whereas the US version just gives it a cliche, cheesy sound effect throughout the entire film.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I maed dis

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Space Hunter M wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_nQy1C_LLw
I maed dis
Pretty good edit!

Also I saw Godzilla 2000 when I was young. I have an unbelievable amount of nostalgia for the English version. It's pretty good with the exception that Godzilla didn't get enough destruction scenes. The stuff with him early on is great but he loses focus for the UFO and Orga. I like how even though Orga doesn't appear till the very end the UFO kind of stands in as it's own monster for Godzilla to fight up until Orga appears.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gojora
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojora »

I like how they used Rob Zombie-Superbeast for their trailer.
TK's Touhou resident.
Basically the only guy here that likes the Shadow Arena.
RIP Shadow Arena, it was my favorite place...
Resized Image
Kaijunator wrote:
Derzerb wrote:Apocalymon makes this fight one-sided since he can flat out delete enemies or he could just wipe out the entire dimension.
Delete enemies. Lol.
Apocalymon: I want to delete my opponents. *goes to computer* and delete! *presses delete button, all enemies get deleted*.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Gojora wrote:I like how they used Rob Zombie-Superbeast for their trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnVajjMrqd0
Holy crap, no wonder the movie was such a huge disappointment with DTV trailers like those...
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Mr. Xeno wrote:
Holy crap, no wonder the movie was such a huge disappointment with DTV trailers like those...
yup. that's up there with homicycle.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_nQy1C_LLw
I maed dis
Pretty good edit!

Also I saw Godzilla 2000 when I was young. I have an unbelievable amount of nostalgia for the English version. It's pretty good with the exception that Godzilla didn't get enough destruction scenes. The stuff with him early on is great but he loses focus for the UFO and Orga. I like how even though Orga doesn't appear till the very end the UFO kind of stands in as it's own monster for Godzilla to fight up until Orga appears.

I like it's shape, too. It's a not a saucer or some of the usual alien craft designs. We get a sleak ray like ship with an assymetrically places weapon.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

I've never seen that. Holy crap, that made me giddy.
Monsters are the real people.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Rob Zombie meets Godzilla, huh? It's the kind of thing that I can see making sense to some studio suit that had never seen a G movie, particularly as a way to get the mainstream's attention. That said... no, no thank you. Nothing against Rob Zombie, but seeing Godzilla set to his music is just funny, and not in a good way.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

That trailer defined my summer as a ten year old, so I'll always appreciate the Superbeast lol.

For those who complain about Sony's dub-job: just watch this trailer, and see how much worse it could have been if they had been lazy and just used the international version...
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

I like this movie a lot. It has great miniatures, Io and her father have a great dynamic and Katagari is the best villain since the assassin's from GTTHM. Not to mention the Godzilla suit rocks. However, the movie has about 10-15 minutes where it just stalls (in the Jp version) and then the CGI is bad, reeaaaaaaaaaaaaally bad. Also, Orga is not that great in execution.

I do wish I could get the Sony cut with the Japanese voices. While the voices themselves are not bad, it is the made up lines that don't belong there like, "It will go through Godzilla like crap through a goose," that ruin it.

Man, some of you guys were 10 when it came out? I had just graduated high school.