Favorite Godzilla Design

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Favorite Godzilla suit from Millenium?

Godzilla 2000- vs. Megaguirus
31%
GMK
32%
Godzilla X MechaGodzilla- Tokyo S.O.S.
20%
Godzilla Final Wars
17%

Total votes: 340

Fyrstorm
Ronin

Re: Favorite Godzilla Design

Post by Fyrstorm »

GMK Goji for certain. The body is similar to the original '54 Goji, but the head conveys a lot more menace than any of the others in the Millennium Series. It's a very expressive suit, and his atomic beam was done very nicely in the film as well.

Second place for me would probably be tied between G2K Goji and KiryuGoji.
Just some nerd with a silly fascination for giant robots.
Rodan wrote:
Vatarian wrote: I'll send flowers
There are two things you don't know about flowers.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

G2k easily.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

2000. Great design and suit that keeps Godzilla menacing while still enabling him to show personality. The fact that it's colorful is a nice change as well.

Second place for me is GMK, but I don't think the final suit works as well as the design requires.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Post by SomeknowmeasXeno »

Final Goji. He's lean and built well for fast combat whilst still packing a punch, a perfect Godzilla design mentality in my opinion. Plus his skin/scales has some pretty good texturing and his dorsal plates have a unique look to them whilst taking cues from the dorsal plates of Showa, Heisei and GMK Goji. His eyes also emote perfectly in my opinion. Has everything I like/want in a Godzilla design.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:His eyes also emote perfectly in my opinion.
The placement of the eyes is actually probably my biggest complaint with this suit.

I've always thought it worked a lot better for toys/models than it did onscreen.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Rodan wrote:2000. Great design and suit that keeps Godzilla menacing while still enabling him to show personality. The fact that it's colorful is a nice change as well.

Second place for me is GMK, but I don't think the final suit works as well as the design requires.
To add on to your point about GMK Godzilla, I'm very torn.

I like certain aspects of the design, like the white eyes, as well as more movement of facial features, which was something 2000 lacked. But from certain angles that potbelly sticks out like a sore thumb and can look awkward. I think the suit didn't do the concept justice completely.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

eabaker wrote:
The placement of the eyes is actually probably my biggest complaint with this suit.

I've always thought it worked a lot better for toys/models than it did onscreen.
Really? I mean I love my Bandai Final Goji figure and all but I actually think the suit does a better job with the eyes then the figure I own and those other few that I have seen on the internet don't seem to do the eyes justice either.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The eyes on the FW suit are way too sunken in. Half the time it doesn't even look like he has eyes.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Huh... strange... I can make the eyes out just fine. I actually have a harder time making out 2000's eyes... and Shin, as much as I love the design, damn those eyes are hard to make out.

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

My favorite is from the 1991 film Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah to Godzilla Vs Destroyah and 2000 and Final Wars !
Long Live King Of All Monsters Godzilla

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Really? I mean I love my Bandai Final Goji figure and all but I actually think the suit does a better job with the eyes then the figure I own and those other few that I have seen on the internet don't seem to do the eyes justice either.
I find them too close together and sort of... I don't really know the right term. I just find them ugly. And not cool monster ugly, just ugly. He sort of looks like a jerk, I guess. Not evil or vicious, just kind of mean.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Ares
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Ares »

Shin Godzilla is objectively the best design.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Ares wrote:Shin Godzilla is objectively the best design.
It's an aesthetic question. There are no objective absolutes.

Ares
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Ares »

eabaker wrote:
It concept sure, in execution? Yeah you can judge.

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

Ares wrote:
eabaker wrote:
It concept sure, in execution? Yeah you can judge.
We still haven't seen the movie yet. As of now the best execution is still 1954, and even that's subjective.
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

Ares
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Ares »

I'm changing my vote:

That's the best Godzilla design ever crafted.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

eabaker wrote:
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:
eabaker wrote:

I find them too close together and sort of... I don't really know the right term. I just find them ugly. And not cool monster ugly, just ugly. He sort of looks like a jerk, I guess. Not evil or vicious, just kind of mean.
That's Final Godzilla's character though: he's not evil or vicious, just bitter and mean because of humanity's crimes against the Earth, which he intends to defend. Unlike other Godzillas though who are angry at humanity for the same thing, Final Godzilla can forgive humanity. The placement of his eyes is rather human and Final Godzilla's ability to forgive despite his bitterness is also human as well: thus I find his emotive, yet typically mean, eyes compliment his character.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

MireGoji is my favorite Godzilla suit completely, encompassing every era.

Shouldn't you split the first and third options though? Godzilla 2000 is still a more appealing suit than Godzilla 2001, and by a long shot I must add. I hated the lighter tones and more drastic juxtaposition of the Godzilla 2001 suit, but found Godzilla 2000's more subtle green and purple to be more likable
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Post by Scarlet Spider »

I hate FinalGoji. I truly do. I just can't bring myself to like the rat-like face and small dorsal plates.

Loved GMK and 2001 Goji's designs. KiryuGoji is alright, I just really dislike his no personality in the movie. He didn't feel unique. But his design was alright.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Has to be the GMK Godzilla. A very interesting and all-around great update of the original formula. Always had a little soft spot for the white, ghoul-like eyes of it too. And to add -- it's very well supported by the quality of the suit and much needed animatronic elements (love the scene early on where it blinks).
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.