Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

Post by JAGzilla »

tyrantgoji wrote:We have another plot about Godzilla going up against one of his clones,
Megaguirus isn't a clone of Godzilla at all, though. She was (IIRC) mutated by his energy, yes, but she was going to be a big ugly dragonfly thing either way.

And to throw my unsolicited $0.02 into the conversation because I'm an obnoxious ass like that, I would say there's no problem at all with defending Godzilla vs. Megaguirus. I'm not going to call it some kind of overlooked masterpiece, because it absolutely is not, but it does have ambition and a ton of dumb fun value on its side, and I agree that those endearing qualities get unfairly overshadowed by its flaws and similarity to the Kiryu films. So it should be defended. The trick, as when defending any other unpopular movie, is to pick one's battles wisely, accept that one is not going to win them all, acknowledge that mileage will vary, and above all, don't get mad. I'm a big fan of Godzilla's Revenge, so I know what I'm talking about when I say that if I got even slightly worked up at every negative review that movie gets, I'd have died of a fucking heart attack years ago. :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I really like the design of the Meganulon in this movie. It's too bad they didn't get as much screen-time as they did in Rodan. Imagine a sequence similar to the one from Godzilla vs Destoroyah where it has a bunch of soldiers fighting off the Meganulon. That would've been dope.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

It`s the best movie of the Millenium series in my eyes.

GMK 2001 was technically brilliant but I don`t like the design of Ghidora and all the underwater scenes taking out the pace of the movie.
1999 G vs Orga was technically a mess and the final fight was way too short.
2002/2003 Kiryu Saga both are solid movies but 2003 is a little too emotional and 2002 is the only one who can keep the pace with 2000s Megaguirus.
2004 Final Wars... no comment...

So after watching the whole Millennium series about 10 times, G x Megaguirus is my favorite.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I didn't even know about that whole intense battle of Toho Kingdom vs HedorahIsBestGirl and just reading it now, I have one thing to say.

It's another case of people taking memes way too seriously.
For Emperor and Empire!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Gailah 1966 wrote:It`s the best movie of the Millenium series in my eyes.

So after watching the whole Millennium series about 10 times, G x Megaguirus is my favorite.
This is why we need a goddamn like button on Toho Kingdom.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

We do have topics where we rate and pick films we like.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Did you know that GxM is "the pinnacle of the Heisei Godzilla series"?

So proclaims Toho's 2001 VHS/DVD artwork.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Terasawa wrote:Did you know that GxM is "the pinnacle of the Heisei Godzilla series"?

So proclaims Toho's 2001 VHS/DVD artwork.
Well I mean, they’re not wrong, on both fronts. It did come out in Japan’s Heisei period, and, it has a lot of Heisei elements such as the weapon to kill Godzilla that fails.
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It probably predates the official "Millennium Series" name but I just thought it was interesting that they deliberately tied it to the Heisei Godzilla Series.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:It probably predates the official "Millennium Series" name but I just thought it was interesting that they deliberately tied it to the Heisei Godzilla Series.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the term "vs Series" initially used to differentiate the earlier Heisei entries from the "Millennium Series," with all of them falling under the larger Heisei umbrella? Or was "vs Series" always strictly a fan appellation?
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

IIRC, "Vs. Series" is a Japanese fandom nickname but I think Toho officially refers to the two series as the "Heisei" and "Millennium" series.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote:
Terasawa wrote:It probably predates the official "Millennium Series" name but I just thought it was interesting that they deliberately tied it to the Heisei Godzilla Series.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the term "vs Series" initially used to differentiate the earlier Heisei entries from the "Millennium Series," with all of them falling under the larger Heisei umbrella?
I think UG's right: I believe "VS Series" was coined by Japanese fans while that series was still in production (so some time during the 1990s). (Who wants to dig through G-Fans to check if it was being used by JD back then too?) I don't know when or in what context "Heisei Godzilla Series" was first used but IIRC it's spoken in at least some of the making of specials for the 1989-1995 films.

Both "VS" and "Heisei" are used on Japanese Wikipedia pages: it's the only series that uses two titles. For example, here and here.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Omni Viewer does a very good job explaining how GxMG is a far superior film to this film, and for those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.
For Emperor and Empire!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

VoyagerGoji wrote:Omni Viewer does a very good job explaining how GxMG is a far superior film to this film, and for those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.
Despite the superficial plot/character similarities, the two movies are too tonally different for any kind of 1:1 comparison to make sense.

And to my mind, while GxMG may be better by most measures (certainly not all), it ain't nearly a good enough movie to be considered "far superior" to anything else in the Godzilla series.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Speaking of, doesn’t GxMG feel like the longest 88-minute movie ever? That thing draaaags.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Terasawa wrote:Speaking of, doesn’t GxMG feel like the longest 88-minute movie ever? That thing draaaags.
To some, maybe. Not for me, of course, it was one of my first G-movies and one of my favourites.
For Emperor and Empire!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Terasawa wrote:Speaking of, doesn’t GxMG feel like the longest 88-minute movie ever? That thing draaaags.
Seriously though, I always thought that movie was close to two hours until I finally looked up the length. Still can't believe it isn't even an hour and a half...
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

It definitely sags in places, but for me Tokyo SOS is the one that really feels interminable.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

That’s true. Neither one feels much shorter than the Heisei Godzillas that run in the 100-minute range.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

The most inexcusable reboot ever. Seriously, this film coulda had at least some benefit to continuity with G2000. I've even seen fan rewrites that do that exact thing and it proves to be a boon.