Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
KaijuAlertSystem
Gotengo Officer

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001

Post by KaijuAlertSystem »

Saw this film again recently in a theater and I have to say it was a blast. There were quite a few kids having a great time and all sorts of fans and interesting folk. Looked great on a big screen.

Superrex
G-Grasper

Post by Superrex »

So,this was something that has been on my mind for a while (1 hour) and I since I haven't seen anyone talk about it,I want to see what people say about this scene:

So at the beginning when they are filming the documentary about a monster living in the woods,at one point there is an earthquake and then we hear a roar of some sort. I find this scene weird because it's never brought up again (although they do mention that their are earthquakes that are associated with Baragon later) and the roar doesn't sound like any monster in the movie. I want to say it's Godzilla,but the roar sounds nothing like his roar. Anybody remember that scene?
Probably the unluckiest guy in the Shadow Arena
Shadow Arena History:
Wins:7
Defeats:8
Chris55 wrote:
wisper15 wrote:I sucks donkey dick.
"He's really bad at it too!"

-The donkey

kiryu42red
Interpol Agent

Post by kiryu42red »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:That's Baragon's roar. You didn't recognize it?

i'll have to re watch that scene, cause i don't remember a roar in the backround

Superrex
G-Grasper

Post by Superrex »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:That's Baragon's roar. You didn't recognize it?
It sounded more like a generic dinosaur roar to me.

Edit: Re-watched the scene. It sounds a little bit like Baragon's roar,but I've heard it used before in dinosaur movies and stuff like that.
Probably the unluckiest guy in the Shadow Arena
Shadow Arena History:
Wins:7
Defeats:8
Chris55 wrote:
wisper15 wrote:I sucks donkey dick.
"He's really bad at it too!"

-The donkey

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Saw this when I went to g-fest as a kid in the theater. It was so sick. I really love this movie its one of my favorite Godzilla movies. My only real complaint is Mothra's look in the movie since she looks more bee-like then moth-like but its whatever. I was really pumped to see Baragon do stuff in a movie for the first time too (i hadn't seen FCTW at the time) since I only saw him in DAM and he just kinda chilled out and watched the final battle. 10/10 Godzilla film IMO best of the millennium films.

The Falcon Mech Z
Monsterland Worker

What was ur overall opinion of Godzilla, Mothra, And King Gh

Post by The Falcon Mech Z »

Post ur opinion on Godzilla, Mothra, And King Ghidirah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack?
I really didn't like it that much, and just want to hear more opinions than mine.
This post was made to raise Varan awareness. Have you or a loved one ever had a piece of your soul taken from you? Then come fill that gap in your already empty soul with our best buddy Varan!

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

In some ways, GMK reminds me of a western. The three under dog heroes battling against the one lone villain....
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

seamus
Monarch Researcher

Post by seamus »

The noticeable digital effects take away from the film a bit, but I love the directing. My favorite moments were the Maeda sisters Shojibin homage, and of course the ending shot.
'And yet another one?'

three
Keizer

Post by three »

seamus wrote:The noticeable digital effects take away from the film a bit, but I love the directing.

certainly agree with the first half of this. alot of what was done, such as the CG and the Ghidorah suit (it was so painfully obvious that you have a guy in there with puppet heads for hands) bothered me. Ghidorah looked great up close but it also looked short and kind stubby, especially with what was going on with the necks. those looked really awkward and short, almost like they were too rigid.

did not like how Mothra just gets up and annihilated.

Baragon finally gets his moment. i was more than pleased with this. the directing was very good. i guess my main issue with this movie is the suits for the monsters, particularly Godzilla looking like a stereotyped abusive husband with his slouch and beer belly and Ghidorah.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

The movie just kinda looses steam after the Baragon curbstomp. While it's great Kaneko was using Godzilla for something other than the tired old nuclear subtext, really, I find a lot of the mysticism overly pretentious, and it would've been better if he kept a lot of the "spookier" stuff ambiguous, not anvilicious.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Space Hunter M wrote:The movie just kinda looses steam after the Baragon curbstomp. While it's great Kaneko was using Godzilla for something other than the tired old nuclear subtext, really, I find a lot of the mysticism overly pretentious, and it would've been better if he kept a lot of the "spookier" stuff ambiguous, not anvilicious.

When I gave you that sig this is what I was asking for. Damn. Couldn't have said that better myself.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

KaijuAlertSystem wrote:Saw this film again recently in a theater and I have to say it was a blast. There were quite a few kids having a great time and all sorts of fans and interesting folk. Looked great on a big screen.
I envy you. I wish I had the pleasure to watch my favorite G-film on the big screen.

LOL, I bet those kids had nightmares seeing Godzilla's heart.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

While I love this film, I wish that it had the originally-intended kaiju in it. Mothra and King Ghidorah have gotten more than enough screen time; I would have liked to see Anngy and Varan quite a bit more :D

Still, though, it's a great film. One of my favorites of the whole franchise.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

Definitely among my favourites along with Godzilla (1954), and Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Only thing I didn't like was how they made Ghidorah as the good guy. Should of picked King Caesar instead as he would fit better. After all he was a guardian monster in the showa era. And though Baragon was an okay choice. I would of picked Manda.

Mothra though fits in well since she is always portrayed as a guardian or something.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1992 on Mon May 12, 2014 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

I like GMK because of the characters, music, pacing, and monster scenes. Everything else is kind of "meh" and it barely misses being in my top 10.

KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuDuke »

GodzillaFan1992 wrote:Definitely among my favourites along with Godzilla (1954), and Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Only thing I didn't like was how they made Ghidorah as the good guy. Should of picked King Caesar instead as he would fit being. After all he was a guardian monster in the showa era. And though Baragon was an okay choice. I would of picked Manda.

Mothra though fits in well since she is always portrayed as a guardian or something.

I don't like Ghidorah as a good guy either, just don't buy it. I've often thought bringing King Caesar into the story as the final guardian would have worked better instead, though I would have been cool with Varan & Anguirus too.

As for Mothra...I like her design & stinger attack, but I feel like there were other kaiju who could have made better Yamato Guardians (she's always been the guardian of Infant Island so its hard to accept her as a Yamato mythological figure instead)

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

King Ceasar would have been a nice choice for a guardian monster but I never had a problem with King Ghidorah in this movie being a good guy. Its fun to have an alternate version of a bad guy who is good. I never really liked the design Mothra had in this one. It was much to wasp like for me and was very un mothra like IMO.

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

On Mothra's design....would you rather the GMK Mothra be actually insect-like or would you want another fat plush toy (*cougheiseicough*)?

And KG is fine as a protagonist; I don't care what role the character plays, as long as him and Godzilla aren't BFF4everz in a film. Which this Ghidorah is not.

And while King Ceasar would have normally made more sense, we have to remember Toho's a company, not a wish machine. They need money to make movies, and King Ceasar doesn't sell to the general public as well as King Ghidorah will. Mothra and Ghidorah replaced Anguirus and Varan because of monetary reasons; more people know about Ghidorah and Mothra than Anguirus and Varan. Baragon wasn't replaced since he's fairly popular in Japan, so that's why KG and Mothra replaced Varan and Anguirus instead. Money is powerful in today's world.

Besides, would you rather Ghidorah take the "chicken legs" comments or Varan? :P
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

Ninjasaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ninjasaurus »

Jiragozira14 wrote:On Mothra's design....would you rather the GMK Mothra be actually insect-like or would you want another fat plush toy (*cougheiseicough*)?

And KG is fine as a protagonist; I don't care what role the character plays, as long as him and Godzilla aren't BFF4everz in a film. Which this Ghidorah is not.

And while King Ceasar would have normally made more sense, we have to remember Toho's a company, not a wish machine. They need money to make movies, and King Ceasar doesn't sell to the general public as well as King Ghidorah will. Mothra and Ghidorah replaced Anguirus and Varan because of monetary reasons; more people know about Ghidorah and Mothra than Anguirus and Varan. Baragon wasn't replaced since he's fairly popular in Japan, so that's why KG and Mothra replaced Varan and Anguirus instead. Money is powerful in today's world.

Besides, would you rather Ghidorah take the "chicken legs" comments or Varan? :P
I thought the fat plush toy of Heisei Mothra was cute and want to buy one.

I think most people here understand why King Ghidorah and Mothra were added to GMK but that doesn't mean they have to like it.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Jiragozira14 wrote:On Mothra's design....would you rather the GMK Mothra be actually insect-like or would you want another fat plush toy (*cougheiseicough*)?

First off, I'm pretty fine with Mothra's design in this film. I wouldn't say it's my favorite of all time, but it's fine imo. Second, I agree that KG is pretty fine as a protagonist. While it is definitely misuse of him, it works out alright. Third, I, as well as most others, know why Mothra and Ghidorah were used. And while most of us likely don't have a huge problem with them being used, that doesn't negate our feelings that lesser-used monsters would have made us happier. The fact is, Ghidorah and Mothra have both had more than their fair share of film appearances, while Varan has had one minute in a Godzilla film, if even that. We want to see more of monsters we don't get to see very often, because the poor guys need more love from Toho. Fourth, I'd just rather have seen Varan get screentime. He probably wouldn't even have chicken legs due to anatomical differences between himself and Ghidorah, anyway. Even if he did, it would still have been at least something for the poor guy.

I'd also like to add, I'm glad others have thought about King Caesar being used instead of Ghidorah. I had been thinking about that the other day. Guardian who sleeps in a cave? It's the perfect opportunity to use Caesar if I've ever seen one.