Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001

Post by Captain Aktion »

Rodan wrote:so much of the fanbase characterizing it as the first smart film for a long time in the series
I agree that it's a smart film, just not in the way I think you're taking it.

I think it's "smart" in the way that it handles the genre tropes, the way it juggles the feels, and the entire way it approaches the monsters. "Smart" in the way that, through a combination of color gradings, angles, pacing, outright homage, and straightforward structure the film achieves exactly what I think it was going for; "elevated" 60's era kaiju film.

"Smart" in its elegance of set-pieces, even if I think the ending drags a bit. I think of Godzilla's foot smashing the cabin, the first breath use, the wide shots used in the jet battle; smart takes on standard stuff we've seen before. Hell, even the typical "monsters colliding and falling into the ocean at the ending" gets rethought and repackaged.

I mean, it even seems to be a conscious attempt to put the "evil destroyer" Godzilla from Gojira into a 60's era "save the Earth" monster romp, which is a high-concept that, while I don't think is particularly "smart" on its own, IS a clever new approach that we hadn't really seen. And...actually, come to think of it, I believe that's probably the term most people were really searching for when they call it "smart"; high-concept. It was the first time in awhile that a Godzilla film wasn't simply built around Godzilla fighting off a bad monster and being all misunderstood, which, in its own way, is "smart".
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Captain Aktion wrote:
Rodan wrote:so much of the fanbase characterizing it as the first smart film for a long time in the series
I agree that it's a smart film, just not in the way I think you're taking it.

I think it's "smart" in the way that it handles the genre tropes, the way it juggles the feels, and the entire way it approaches the monsters. "Smart" in the way that, through a combination of color gradings, angles, pacing, outright homage, and straightforward structure the film achieves exactly what I think it was going for; "elevated" 60's era kaiju film.

"Smart" in its elegance of set-pieces, even if I think the ending drags a bit. I think of Godzilla's foot smashing the cabin, the first breath use, the wide shots used in the jet battle; smart takes on standard stuff we've seen before. Hell, even the typical "monsters colliding and falling into the ocean at the ending" gets rethought and repackaged.

I mean, it even seems to be a conscious attempt to put the "evil destroyer" Godzilla from Gojira into a 60's era "save the Earth" monster romp, which is a high-concept that, while I don't think is particularly "smart" on its own, IS a clever new approach that we hadn't really seen. And...actually, come to think of it, I believe that's probably the term most people were really searching for when they call it "smart"; high-concept. It was the first time in awhile that a Godzilla film wasn't simply built around Godzilla fighting off a bad monster and being all misunderstood, which, in its own way, is "smart".
Word; I was looking for more of the really satisfying, effective insertion of metaphor the first film and a handful of others achieve, wherein I think the film falls short. High-concept, though, sure.

Still don't get a lot of "feels" from this one. A lot of the performances feel phoned in, or just struggling to find meat in their characters (you can certainly create an emotionally affecting story by going "above" more stock, iconic characters, so to speak, but I don't think it's quite landed here).

But anyway--it's a fun flick and admirable in its concept. Also, glad to see you're posting again. For some reason I thought you'd been perma-banned.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Gave this film another watch. Still don't get the immense amount of praise it gets, but it's not bad by any means. Infact, it's quite enjoyable. I've grown to admire how lifelike the Godzilla suit is, the way it's able to emote and move realistically. Though the seam on the back of the suit is so painfully obvious in some shots, something seemingly unique to this suit.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

I think most people like GMK because it boasts stronger writing, characters more engaging than usual, and better special effects than most films Post-Showa Era. It's not perfect, though it has more going for it than much of its competition and that's why it gets the praise it receives. Some detractors are critical of things like how King Ghidorah serves a heroic role and the spiritual element added to Godzilla. But Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah put the golden dragon in a similar situation and you rarely see complaints about it. As for the latter point, the overall message isn't contradictory to any established lore and Godzilla still retains his nuclear origins. And the film does have some effects mistakes. Almost unavoidable due to how Toho operates. But other films are even guiltier of this sin. If you hate GMK for special effects and characters, what does that mean for majority of the Heisei and Millennium Era installments? The film could have been a launching pad for more polished productions. Though sadly Toho returned to business as usual.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

David Kalat talks about how the Heisei films were a lot more specific to Japan in some respects in his book, which he said was why they had more trouble getting released in the US (at the time he was writing, none of the 1990s films had been released in America yet). I feel like something similar's going on with GMK. I've always enjoyed it, but the social and political commentary has typically been kind of lost on me, because it deals with Japanese history in a lot more detail than I'd imagine most Americans are familiar with.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

Been thinkin about it and the only thing that ai absolutely don't care for in this movie is the way Ghidorah looks. Especially in the "emerging from ice" scene. The prop looks so plastic and lacking emotive qualities that every time that it is on screen, it bothers me greatly. how crappy ghidorah looks compliments how great Godzilla looks, amd not in a good way.
Member of TK Since 2006

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Really? I thought the suit looked fantastic.
Godzilla

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

g2vd wrote:Really? I thought the suit looked fantastic.
The torso/legs/wing/neck dont bother me, other than Ghidorah's short neck. My main issue is the face. It just looks like a prop.
Member of TK Since 2006

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Listen to her trying to roar. :lol:

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

One of the things that really struck me about this movie was the soundtrack. I love it. It's the first Godzilla movie that actually got me to buy the full soundtrack, rather than just downloading a couple of the tracks from the internet.
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

GMK is my favorite soundtrack in the Millennium series, and is one of the most memorable in the franchise.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

I've never gotten into the soundtrack for this one. Its main riff is memorable, but something about it sounds so cheap.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Rodan wrote:I've never gotten into the soundtrack for this one. Its main riff is memorable, but something about it sounds so cheap.
I always thought electronics juxtaposed with a plot with supernatural elements always came off as a bit weird, but I still like the score in general.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Space Hunter M wrote:I always thought electronics juxtaposed with a plot with supernatural elements always came off as a bit weird, but I still like the score in general.
I think it just bothers me because it sounds like one guy with a synth, and one theme plays nearly the entire time, with variations.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Rodan wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:I always thought electronics juxtaposed with a plot with supernatural elements always came off as a bit weird, but I still like the score in general.
I think it just bothers me because it sounds like one guy with a synth, and one theme plays nearly the entire time, with variations.
I suppose it's no less repetitive than Isao Tomita's score for Prophecies of Nostradamus.

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

Rodan wrote:
As if Ifukube's was any different

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

F4ZaTE_X wrote:
Rodan wrote:
I actually ran Ifukube's score through my head before writing that. Even the monsters' themes are incredibly different from one another (Mothra, Godzilla, Ghidorah, Rodan all have distinct themes, to say nothing of the various other cues sounding quite different from each other).

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

Rodan wrote:
F4ZaTE_X wrote:
Rodan wrote: I think it just bothers me because it sounds like one guy with a synth, and one theme plays nearly the entire time, with variations.
I actually ran Ifukube's score through my head before writing that. Even the monsters' themes are incredibly different from one another (Mothra, Godzilla, Ghidorah, Rodan all have distinct themes, to say nothing of the various other cues sounding quite different from each other).
Yes, the monster's themes are different, but other than that it's generally all similar.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

Movie to movie though, they generally have a handful of themes that repeat in a load of different forms with some exceptions like Godzilla vs. Gigan, which takes cues from all over the Ifukube catalog at the time.
It's hardly any different with Kow Otani's GMK score, though personally I like the main theme enough that I never minded the number of times it repeats, and there are indeed at least a few other themes that play throughout the film. Mothra's theme for example, is pretty distinct. "Call to Arms" is a riveting prelude. "Determined to Protect the Future", is a weirdly nostalgic track full of heart. Even King Ghidorah's theme is a tune apart from the rest, if you can point it out.
Monsters are the real people.