Monster Discussion: Kiryu

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
KiryuFreak
Monsterland Worker

Monster Discussion: Kiryu

Post by KiryuFreak »

Let's use this topic to discuss the Millennium Mechagodzilla, Kiryu (aka Mechagodzilla 3) from Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S..

So, to get the ball rolling, is Kiryu a cool, okay, or lame monster? In my opinion, he's awesome.

Zillaowner
G-Grasper

Re: Is Kiryu cool, okay, or lame?

Post by Zillaowner »

Kiryu was awesome. I just wished that the pilots were good so that he wouldn't have to be knocked out everytime he hits the ground
Shadow Arena

Wins: 13 Loses: 8 OHKO: 3

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:Kiryu is a pretty cool guy.

he goes on rampages and doesnt afraid of anything.

But srsly, yeah, he's awesome. Anyone who disagree's (especially regarding his refueling gimmick) deserves a mountain goat to the cooch....or balls. Whichever you have.
Doesn't afraid of anything indeed. :D

I really like Kiryu. His design is sleek... I prefer his look over both previous Mechagodzilla designs. While it's strange, I like the idea that Kiryu is the original Godzilla.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Kiryu is ok. I'm not sure we needed another Mechagodzilla, but he had a good design. He was less stiff than the other incarnations and that made combat scenes much better.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

godzilla1996
Monsterland Worker

Post by godzilla1996 »

Kiryu is cool. Unfortunately, he still has a dopey expression. But, they finally got a Mechagodzilla with a tail.
Formerly known as godzilla2001.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Yeah moderators!
@ omgitsgodzilla, the double rainbow means that Godzilla is on some really good shit

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

I thought he was okay. I mean I liked his design it is my favorite Mechagodzilla design yet but fragility I don't like to well.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Kiryu's cool. A very interesting version of Mechagodzilla.

Darkness
Interpol Agent

Post by Darkness »

The concept of Kiryu is awesome. The idea of the bones of the original Godzilla gives him more personality and the design is great as well. He's just a pathetic fighter who runs on batteries than can only last up to 2 hours. That's a major negative, especially for a MechaGodzilla incarnation. I think he's cool, he just doesn't compare to the awesomeness of previous MGs.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

He works for the role he is meant for. But I don't think he has any more personality then the other MGs. He is still a big robot.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Zillaowner
G-Grasper

Post by Zillaowner »

Darkness wrote:The concept of Kiryu is awesome. The idea of the bones of the original Godzilla gives him more personality and the design is great as well. He's just a pathetic fighter who runs on batteries than can only last up to 2 hours. That's a major negative, especially for a MechaGodzilla incarnation. I think he's cool, he just doesn't compare to the awesomeness of previous MGs.
At least in Tokyo SOS they fixed that 2 hour problem.
Shadow Arena

Wins: 13 Loses: 8 OHKO: 3

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

He's Godzilla In Frame Only.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Mini-Godzilla wrote:He's Godzilla In Frame Only.
Does this mean we can start calling him GIFO? :D
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

edgaguirus wrote:Does this mean we can start calling him GIFO?
How fast do you think that we could get the term "GIFO" spread across the fanbase?

I say we make T-shirts for the next convention.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

alienhulk2099 wrote:
Why the hell do people let a monster's power dictate whether they like them or not? That's ridiculous.
Because that's how some people are.
Yeah, more like you, and a small handful of others who like to treat these films like role playing games for some reason. GxG would probably be one of them as well.

Kiryu was a much better version of Mechagodzilla than the boring Heisei incarnation. The connection to G 54' is a nice touch, and makes him stand out when compared to the other two MG's in the series. I still long for an evil Mechagodzilla myself, but Kiryu was definitely an improvement over the Heisei MG in almost every possible way (IMO).
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

A lamely portrayed Mechagodzilla ripoff who frequently shuts down, and seems to be the most fragile of the three incarnations. I don't like him.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Legion1979 wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:A lamely portrayed Mechagodzilla ripoff who frequently shuts down...
How is he a ripoff if Toho created him?
Doesn't matter. I still don't like him.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.

Gib money.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Showa Gyaos wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:A lamely portrayed Mechagodzilla ripoff who frequently shuts down...
How is he a ripoff if Toho created him?
Doesn't matter. I still don't like him.
Except for the part where it made you look like an idiot.

There was nothing "lame" about the portrayal of Mechagodzilla in these films.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Goji wrote:Except for the part where it made you look like an idiot.

There was nothing "lame" about the portrayal of Mechagodzilla in these films.
Oh God, and I thought I wouldn't see a flame war today after hours of forum-surfing. :roll:

Need a reason? Okay: Kiryu's predecessors were powerful foes for their time. However, both Godzillas were far from what people believed to be a "weak" incarnation. KIryu Saga Godzilla was weak. He would often reel back in pain, and would try to flee from his opponents when hurt; not to mention, he was running from two bugs that were very smaller than he. What this has to do with Kiryu's lameness is that they needed to dumb Godzilla down for the frail cyborg. This is why I found the Kiryu Saga to be the two most boring movies of the Millennium series.
ScrumpBump wrote:

Gib money.

KiryuFreak
Monsterland Worker

Post by KiryuFreak »

Kiryu Saga Godzilla wasn't running away from the Mothra laravas, did you not see him blasting them? And from the looks of it, Kiryu had just saved one larva when he got repaired, Godzilla was about to blast that larva open.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Godzilla isn't "dumbed down" at all. That's just the way you're perceiving it. Maybe he's in pain in such scenes because he *gasp!!* IS capable of feeling pain, like most living creatures. He's an animal. Animals are living creatures. Living creatures of capable of feeling pain. Do you need me to spell it out for you anymore?

Kiryu's arsenal obviously hurt Godzilla, just like the previous incarnations....so In the long run, what exactly are you even complaining about anyway?