Monster Discussion: Kiryu

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Kubo
Sazer

Re: Is Kiryu cool, okay, or lame?

Post by Kubo »

Copperydock wrote:
Gyaos wrote:His head also looks way too small/flat to fit the Godzilla skull we saw earlier in the film. His neck sorta looks too long in comparison to the original Godzilla and the latter's skeleton.
Yeah, it would've been cool if he looked like this concept art.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/concept_art/ ... yu_05.html
Maybe in the next GvMG movie. I'd also like to see Mechagodzilla return to his alien origins.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

DarkLord
Monarch Researcher

Post by DarkLord »

It was great to finally see a Mecha G that resembled the design featured in the theatrical poster art for 'G vs Mecha G' '93.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Cool. Hands down.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:I'm rapidly coming to own more Kiryu toys than any monster save Godzilla himself. What's that tell you about my affections? :lol:
Do you own either of the DX figures?

#BotM

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Just got done watching GxMG for the first time. So after seeing this thread for almost two years, I can finally give an informed answer to this most important of questions. Truly, this is a historic day. :lol:

Yeah. Anyway, I'd say Kiryu earns a nice, solid 'okay'. He doesn't have the raw badassery of the Showa MechaG, but he's more interesting than the lifeless Heisei version. He falls somewhere in between. He definitely felt like a (partially) living character, and the movie did a good job of selling him as such. Design-wise, I don't really know if I like him much or not. Maybe I'll need to see the movie again to be sure. I definitely like the tail; that's something I've always been sure about. The head... I guess it depends on the angle, lighting, etc. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it doesn't. The body I didn't really pay much attention to, though I prefer it without the bulky missile launcher/jetpack combo. One issue in general was that he didn't really have much of a sense of size or power to him. I don't know if it was the camera work or what, but he tended to look more like an oversized toy than a gigantic war machine. That wasn't enough to hurt him too badly, though.

Weapons: These I generally liked. The missiles were boring, but the rest were very cool. I'll go into more detail in the Power Talkback threads.

And... I guess that's about it. He was a generally decent monster, and I'm interested in seeing more of him whenever I get around to buying Tokyo SOS. Saw that once years ago, but I hardly remember anything about it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

He's damn beast. Best Mecha-Godzilla ever! :D
Yooo 8-)

dragongora
Monsterland Worker

Post by dragongora »

Kiryu was awesome, loved it when he rammed into godzilla while he was preparing his beam ray
Dragons don't die, we just bleed

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:While he was a lot more pleasing to my eyes that the UN MG, the execution of it all was so skreeonk mediocre.

WOOT!?
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

Godzilla6014
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla6014 »

I like experaments that turn out well with kajiu. Don't you? :)
Legionmaster wrote:Yeah how dare people talk about the things they like. What assholes.

Godzilla6014
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla6014 »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:
Godzilla6014 wrote:I like experaments that turn out well with kajiu. Don't you? :)
...Yeah(?)...But what does that have to do with anything?
What do you mean? I'm talking experiment as in reffering to what was done to re-design Mechagodzilla as Kiryu as well as saying I like when Toho helps give our favorite monsters upgrades. That's what what I mean.
Legionmaster wrote:Yeah how dare people talk about the things they like. What assholes.

murasaki07
Yojimbo

Post by murasaki07 »

Kiryu is great. His design is far greater than the heisei Mecha Godzilla. Though I the showa mecha g is my favorite.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Kiryu is lame...I may be in the minority but I could give 2 shites. It really gets on my shite when people kisss kiryus ass like he's the end all of mechs.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

^^ Everyone here loves this mecha g. I think mostly because he has the 1st g's bones and the design but other than that what else does he have going for him?

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

I'd take MG2 or Moguera over Kiryu any day.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

He's Super cool. How often to do you get to see a mech from the bones of a long dead living being.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

demoylition
Interpol Agent

Post by demoylition »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:He isn't a derpy 90's mech, with birthing hips?
LoL

Kiryu is my favorite, followed then super mechagodzilla, then the orignal. The rotating fingers are still awesome though
Shadow Arena: 2 win 1 loss

gojizilla97
Monarch Researcher

Re: Monster Discussion: Kiryu

Post by gojizilla97 »

hey, Kiryu's cool, but my favorite mechagodzilla is the first.
Bond. James Bond.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Re: Kiryu in the ocean

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

The One and Only wrote:My original big idear for the follow-up to TOKYO S.O.S., would be the J.S.D.F. building a new Kiryu deal with the other daikaiju out there, including the chance of Godzilla making a return. Which he does. However, something worse than the Big-G makes its prescence known. In the form of a flaming meteor which crashes in the Japanese Alps. Which soon cracks open to reveal the King of Terror himself, KING GHIDORAH, who being what he is, begins rampaging across the countryside. Meanwhile, the hits keep coming with news Godzilla has resurfaced. The Mothra twins from the last film, now both in moth forms, try to stop King Ghidorah, fail, with one reduced to kindling. Godzilla, drawn to the chaos created by the Triple Domed Terror, finds him, and not liking someone else poaching his territory, attacks the other so-called monster King. Godzilla ends up loosing the fight, and is seemingly left for dead when he collapses beneath the waves, and is left floating like some dead fish. The Japanese gets Kiryu 1.5 ready for action, and even begins cordinating with the Shobojin to get the surviving Mothra twin ready for a two pronged attack against King Ghidorah, who after destroying the U.S. Marine base in Okinawa, makes his way to Tokyo. With the Americans wanting their pound of flesh from King Ghidorah, the Japanese realize they must stop the space dragon before either the Americans, or some other nuke weilding country, decides to retailiate with their own nuclear weapons to try to end Ghidorah before he turns his six pairs of eyes towards the rest of the world. The battle is joined in Tokyo with King Ghidorah when Kiryu, Mothra, a newly hatched Mothra larva ,the White Herons ,and King Ghidorah. However, despite what looks like a win just around the corner, King Ghidorah turns the tables on his opponents. The White Herons(Kiryu's support aircraft) are both shot down by Ghidorah, Kiryu is down for the count, and both Mothras are struggling against the King of Terror. Just then, when Ghidorah is about to deliver the coup de grace on the elder Mothra, a blue blast of flame from seemingly nowhere strikes the King of Terror, knocking him into Tokyo Tower. A second blast finishes off the Tower, causing it collapse onto King Ghidorah. Then the camera pans over to another part of the city, where a bolt of lightning reveals the silhouette of Godzilla, and the lights turn up to fully reveal the King of the Monsters(nod to the Terror of Mechagodzilla), ready for Round Two. As the rain starts to pour from the sky, a surviving White Heron pilot, manages to get Kiryu up and running just then. The elder Mothra starts stirring as well, and rising into the air. Another explosion erupts from the remains of Tokyo Tower, and King Ghidorah takes to the air stareing down his opponents, and the final battle begins... :huge:

And that's how I'd do it. :freak: :huge:
I'm glad I PCS'd from Okinawa last April, lol. I've been spared from the wrath of King Ghidorah!
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Dogbert
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dogbert »

He's a great mechagodzilla.
I calculated the odds of this succeeding vs the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and I went ahead and did it anyways.

kaijumaikeru
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijumaikeru »

-post removed-
Last edited by kaijumaikeru on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:59 am, edited 3 times in total.