Monster Discussion: Kiryu

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Re: Monster Discussion: Kiryu

Post by Janjira54 »

I just think its a she :). Look at the she kaiju topic for my explanation.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Janjira54 wrote:I just think its a she :). Look at the she kaiju topic for my explanation.
I just did. But you didn't really offer much of an argument.

Toho has always referred to Godzilla as male, so it wouldn't make much sense for Kiryu to be female since the mech is possessed by Godzilla's spirit. Plus, Masaaki Tezuka said Kiryu and Godzilla were “father and son.” That would be like trying to argue that Biollante is a male, despite knowing Erika's spirit resides in her. Don't us fans accept that Biollante is female? So why should Kiryu be a different case? Just doesn't add up. These films are usually pretty clear about which monsters are female (Megaguirus, Biollante, Mothra, Female Muto).

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Post by Janjira54 »

kamilleblu wrote:
Janjira54 wrote:I just think its a she :). Look at the she kaiju topic for my explanation.
I just did. But you didn't really offer much of an argument.

Toho has always referred to Godzilla as male, so it wouldn't make much sense for Kiryu to be female since the mech is possessed by Godzilla's spirit. Plus, Masaaki Tezuka said Kiryu and Godzilla were “father and son.” That would be like trying to argue that Biollante is a male, despite knowing Erika's spirit resides in her. Don't us fans accept that Biollante is female? So why should Kiryu be a different case? Just doesn't add up. These films are usually pretty clear about which monsters are female (Megaguirus, Biollante, Mothra, Female Muto).
OK, but I like to think of kiryu as female. I know by canon standards its a male, but I prefer calling it a female. If you don't like it, then think of it as male. Problem solved

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Ah, Kiryu has got to be one of the bestest robots in pop culture. His backstory may be simple, but interesting nonetheless, and his design is just epic. Plus, he's like a dinosaur version of EVA 01. I also love how they handled the death/life theme in his movies, he truly deserved to rest in peace after everything that happened

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

I love Kiryu and he is the first time there is a legitimate reason for there being a robot Godzilla.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:I love Kiryu and he is the first time there is a legitimate reason for there being a robot Godzilla.
killing Godzilla wasn't enough of a reason before?

:lol: :P
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:I love Kiryu and he is the first time there is a legitimate reason for there being a robot Godzilla.
How is it any different from the other reasons?
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Because they used the bones of the original Godzilla inside of it. The Heisei MG could have just been a Metal Gear looking tank and it would have had the same effect. The Showa one could have just been a Jet Jaguar clone and it would have had the same effect.