Tokyo S.O.S Ending: The Cells

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
G-fan4life
Monsterland Worker

Tokyo S.O.S Ending: The Cells

Post by G-fan4life »

I just finished rewatching Tokyo S.O.S for prolly the 5th or 6th time. I watched the end of the movie and past the credits.

Can anyone tell me what the purpose of that G-cells and Biotechnology lab scene was all bout, it just seems like a random little bit that they threw in there for fun.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Tokyo S.O.S Ending

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Basically, they're gonna try cloning. I can only assume from the DNA tanks and the voice saying something about a "bio-formation" experiment that they're trying to create monsters (perhaps to be cybernetically enhanced) from DNA, aka cloning a la Jurassic Park.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

G-fan4life
Monsterland Worker

Post by G-fan4life »

would have been a better movie than FW

Eunectes
Gotengo Officer

Post by Eunectes »

I posted something similar to this and it got locked. HERP DERP

Kameba90
Yojimbo

Post by Kameba90 »

I think the idea is to imply that something is going on, even if we don't know just what, so that the film ends on kind of a cliffhanger.
Purple
and
Green

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's another instance of Toho leaving an opening for future films.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

G-fan4life wrote:would have been a better movie than FW
Truf.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

That stuff with all the robot kaiju would have made for a great 50th anniversary film. Kinda wish we got that.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Gorosaurus Rex wrote:That stuff with all the robot kaiju would have made for a great 50th anniversary film. Kinda wish we got that.
I wonder if Toho actually considered making a Kiryu trilogy before shifting to Godzilla: Final Wars?
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

In Godzilla against Mechagodzilla, there is this scenne with the extinct animal, wich was actually a robot replica, and used DNA trough a computer, so the species was bring it back to life... kinda. Then we have the final scenne from Tokyo S.O.S. with lots of DNA from diferent monsters... In other words, we are screwed.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Showa Gyaos wrote:
Gorosaurus Rex wrote:That stuff with all the robot kaiju would have made for a great 50th anniversary film. Kinda wish we got that.
I wonder if Toho actually considered making a Kiryu trilogy before shifting to Godzilla: Final Wars?
I'm sure the idea crossed their minds at some point. I would have been curious to see it play out, definitely.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Tohosaurus wrote:
G-fan4life wrote:would have been a better movie than FW
Truf.
Agreed, and three cheers for Chapelle's Show.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Tyler wrote:It's meant to show man will never learn his lesson or something to that extent.
What Tyler said. One of the main story ideas in TOKYO SOS is that mankind was wrong to use the remains of the original Godzilla. This is why the modern Godzilla attacked Japan, and the Shobojin demand that Godzilla 54's bones be returned to their resting place at sea. When the Prime Minister orders Kiryu to be used one last time it sets up that Japan got the message and will stop doing what has caused all the problems in the first place. But the last scene in the movie shows that they're still experimenting with the monsters' remains... so the lesson wasn't learned and the cycle will just repeat all over again.
Showa Gyaos wrote:
The answer to that is definitely "no". Toho always hoped the 50th anniversary film would get an international release so that meant a standalone story that audiences could easily follow, not a part 3 wrapping up two movies that weren't widely seen outside Japan.

Toho plans the movies one at a time, so GODZILLA AGAINST MECHAGODZILLA wasn't even conceived as part 1 of a 2 part story. Producer Shogo Tomiyama said Toho was originally planning another standalone Godzilla movie with Mothra for 2003, but director Masaaki Tezuka pitched a story treatment treatment for a direct sequel featuring Mothra and Kiryu. The producers liked it so that's what they decided to do. Both Tezuka and Tomiyama said the second film would conclude the story, so no trilogy was ever planned.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

kpa wrote: Toho always hoped the 50th anniversary film would get an international release
So, by international release, do you mean theatrically?

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

^Yes he does. But what countries they had in mind, I am unsure of.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Gojira-Fan wrote:
kpa wrote: Toho always hoped the 50th anniversary film would get an international release
So, by international release, do you mean theatrically?
Exactly. Toho had hopes the distributors in other countries would license the anniversary film for theatrical release, just like Sony did for GODZILLA 2000.

Obviously, that didn't pan out.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Maybe if it had fewer subplots, no mutant crap, better music and wasn't edited like a bad music video it would have... I'd have loved to see Godzilla in theaters. The closest I've actually come was the Gojira re-release...
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Maybe if it had fewer subplots, no mutant crap, better music and wasn't edited like a bad music video it would have... I'd have loved to see Godzilla in theaters. The closest I've actually come was the Gojira re-release...
This is pretty much how I feel about it. It's a fun movie to watch with friends, but on its own it kinda falls apart. As with DAM, they threw everything but the kitchen sink at it (even more so than DAM, what with the mutant subplot). A lot of the time Godzilla films lack enough and it's more like they threw in the beginnings of a plot. This one almost tried to do too much, even with over two hours of movie.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

With Final Wars, it's like they made a bad fan fiction into a movie.

Mecha-Anguirus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Mecha-Anguirus »

I always felt that the ending was hopeful, showing us that Godzilla will never die sort of thing. Well, now that i think about it, that's kind of perverse, but then again, I thought the end of Jurassic Park was hopeful too...
Reboot: coda 1G65R34... Weapons Status: functioning... Recoding Mainframe... Video Sensors: recording... Mecha-Anguirus now Online.

Remember me?