The Future of Suitmation in Toho Godzilla Films

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Do you think that suitmation should not be used in any new Godzilla films?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:01 pm

Yes
20%
No
50%
I don't care either way
30%

Total votes: 20

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

The Future of Suitmation in Toho Godzilla Films

Post by Gojira-Fan »

As we all know, all Toho Godzilla films have used suitmation to produce the effect of a giant monster. However, the last Godzilla film came out in 2004, and there has been no sign of a Toho produced Godzilla film since.
So, I was wondering what the community thought on this issue. If there was to be a new Toho Godzilla made, should they use suitmation, or go with a more mainstream CGI approach?
I think that if Toho makes a new Godzilla film, that it should be in suitmation. This is part of the appeal for the films to me. And it's not that I think that a man in suit is "funny" or that I think it's inferior to CGI. I know that this method can be done realistically, because I have seen this method used before to great success (Gamera 2 is perhaps the best suitmation I have seen). Honestly, I think what keeps some of Godzilla's more recent efforts from looking good on a special effects aspect is how the films are so quickly made.
Also, these films are unique. While Hollywood embraces CGI and pretty much makes practical effects a minority, the recent Kaiju films still use a method that was developed in 1954. And honestly, CGI doesn't look "realistic" to me (most of the time). I can tell it's CGI generally right when I see it. So just because something is technologically superior does not mean it is visually superior.
Sorry for the rant, this is just how I feel.
So what are your thoughts?

DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Re: The Future of Suitmation in Toho Godzilla Films

Post by DaiKamonohashi »

I'd personally rather keep with the suitmation and miniatures style just since it has such a unique look to it. Sadly, it'll probably go the way of the Do-do sooner or later.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Yeah, Gamera's special effects are a model of what modern Godzilla movies could be.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I'd love them to stick with the suits. It may be a focus of mocking for the series/genre, but it's also very distinct.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

It's true that it may be a source of mocking, but most people haven't even seen a Japanese Godzilla film.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Legion1979 wrote:Because Toho has any plans to make more Godzilla movies, right?
No one can predict the future. I'm sure everyone was saying that back when Godzilla was killed in1995, and Tristar was given the monster for their film.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Legion1979 wrote:Because Toho has any plans to make more Godzilla movies, right?
I'm not saying that Toho is planning to make more Godzilla movies, this is saying if Toho ever does make another Godzilla film.
Also, while Toho isn't currently planning to make a Godzilla film, I don't think that they will never make another movie again. I think it's too early to make predicitions like that.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I don't care, as long as it isn't crappy.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

cloudzilla
Young Farmer

Post by cloudzilla »

Godzilla movies should always use suitmation, it's the way we've all experienced Godzilla movies, and it just brings something special and unique to the movies. Mostly because it shows how much effort Toho put into their films, and second because it's my personal preference :g2k:
-Cloudzilla-

“I'm not psycho...I just like psychotic things.”

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

^ That's great and dandy, but movies evolve. There wasn't a guy who liked black and white and made all movies B&W because he preferred and grew up with it. Change is what drives the special effects world. New tecniques (probably spelt that wrong...) like animation (case in point, Toy Story) inspired practically a whole line of movies with a similar design. CGI came out and will soon hook on in Toho. It's only a matter of time...
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

^I agree. The 'spirit' og Godzilla can still be present in CGI.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

I think the spirit can still be there even if he was created in a computer.
This so very much.
And if Ultraman continues to be popular despite the fact that all of it's monsters are still very obviously guys in suits...
Godzilla movies tend to cost alot mroe than Ultraman ones. The 'highly successful' Super 8 Ultra Bros made 8 million, which, whie a success for an Ultraman movie, would be an utter failure for a Godzilla movie.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Yeah, they really just need to go with whatever special effects technique will work best for their needs and within their budget. We have DECADES worth of gorgeous suitmation movies and shows. Toho and Godzilla need to evolve or else they risk obsolescence.

I'd go so far as to say that suitmation lives on in motion-capture technology. Now instead of a restrictive rubber suit, the "suit" actor has a free range of motion and an incredibly detailed "suit" made with CGI.
Haters gonna hate

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Motion capture could definitively works. And CGI-enhanced suits would be a good option too.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

To me, the "spirit" is the fact that in face of computer-generated imagerey, Godzilla still sticks to suitmation. It's a tradition. And I don't know about anyone else here, but I can almost always tell what I am looking at is CGI, except for a few things (water and fire look real as CGI).

This is also one of the reasons that I'm not all too excited over the new american Godzilla film, because it's going to be CGI. That's just going with the crowd. And to me, it's part of the Kaiju genre to use suitmation.

Then again, that's just me. If the general audience want's CGI Godzilla, then they will probably get CGI Godzilla.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

It's a tradition.
The "tradition" was started against the filmmakers will. They were forced into suitmation due to time and budgetary constraints... they wanted to make Gojira with stop-motion animation, but had to scrap that plan. I think they said they would have needed like 7 years to complete the movie they way they originally wanted to make it.
Haters gonna hate

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

You need to think 10-15 years down the road, when today's CGI will be affordable for a studio like Toho.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

hammysammy59 wrote:
It's a tradition.
The "tradition" was started against the filmmakers will. They were forced into suitmation due to time and budgetary constraints... they wanted to make Gojira with stop-motion animation, but had to scrap that plan. I think they said they would have needed like 7 years to complete the movie they way they originally wanted to make it.
...And? They stuck with it for decades, hence it became tradition. Derp.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Ha, you're talking to me about maturity on these boards? Oh, the irony..Don't even start man. Seriously.

Anyways, I do agree that a combination of the two is the only way to go at this point. It's up to Toho to decide how much money their willing to spend for something like that. I think as long as Tsuburaya keeps doing things the old way (utilizing suits and miniatures), they're is a chance Toho will follow suit. Of course, that's assuming they'll ever make more Godzilla films, which seems even more unlikely in light of recent events, and the Japanese public's over lack of interest in the genre.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Goji wrote:Ha, you're talking to me about maturity on these boards? Oh, the irony..Don't even start man. Seriously.
Great Scott! The arrogance levels are off the charts! ;)
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.