Onmyoji (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Onmyoji (2001)

Post by g2kmaster »

(not an image related to the Onmyoji film series but is an album titled Onmyoji done by Brian Eno when he is not writing music for the Wall Street films lolz)

This has to be one of my favorite Japanese films. A good part of that is because of nostalgia, being that this was one of the first couple of non-kaiiju Japanese films I saw (along with Versus and Kunoichi Lady Ninja). Plus, it helped introduce me to the more mythological Japan, which was awesome and is maybe why I like the culture today. Staring in it is Henry Sanada - who those who don't watch too much Nippon Eiga should know from THE LAST SAMURAI and RUSH HOUR 3 by now and Mansai Nomura - who is not only Shakesperian-experianced but did RAN with Kurosawa.

Has anyone seen this film? Just got the DVD (special edition with booklet and everything) and will soon be watching it for the first time in over 5 years (ShowTime stoped showing it coincidently right when I moved from Tennessee to Georgia).

Before we go into discussion, let me preface this with the kick ass Onmyoji theme. It relaxes me so such as a certain song produced for a chanbara-period eiga by Tetsuya Komuro. Except this theme has a fuller orchestration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_6vtGifX2k

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Re: Onmyoji (2001)

Post by Arbok »

Going to bump an ancient topic as the theme just kicked up on my iPod at work.

Anyway, I'm a fan of the first film. It's not great, but fairly memorable and has pretty high production values for the time (sans the Doson bird prop). Doson and Seimei are a pretty great foil to one another as well, and Sanada is clearly enjoying himself playing the villain here.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: Onmyoji (2001)

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I need to check this one out sometime soon. Looks and sounds pretty fun.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....