Talkback: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

GXMG is...

Great
31%
Good
42%
Okay
18%
Poor
7%
Awful
2%

Total votes: 304

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)

Post by szmigiel »

Giga Kaiju wrote:^ In other words, because of PLOT.
Or in other words BAD PLOT

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Exactly. Managing the events of a movie/tv show/any media for convenience.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Highway to the danger zone! You can be my wingman anytime, Akane!

Wataru Mimura's fourth Goji script plays like a Greatest Hits of his first three. We have an improved version of the reinvented Mechagodzilla from the 1993 film, a superior recycling of the single father with a precocious daughter from G2K, and a vastly better take on the female soldier with a grudge against the Big G from Megaguirus. And it has essentially none of those movies' problems, either, which is a huge plus. In fact, if someone asked me what the post-Showa films were like, this one is the movie I'd direct them to watch. It is the best Mechagodzilla film, and it's the best Godzilla film since the 1960s.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Eh, I thought this film was pretty lame myself.
Kiryu going bananas was cool though, but the plot hindered absolute zero canon got annoying
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Kiryu going berserk has to be the most memorable scene in the entire movie. It was the most Showa-MG-esque fitting moment with the recent MG's.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Is it true Titanosaurus was supposed to make an appearance in the film?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

tymon wrote:I always thought it would be an interesting project to edit the two films together into one tight, ninety minute movie.
Stick 'em together back-to-back, 180 minutes isn't that long.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

AbudJasemAlBaldawi wrote:
tymon wrote:I always thought it would be an interesting project to edit the two films together into one tight, ninety minute movie.
Yeah I agree with this.

But you could also get creative and have the initial Mothra scene with the guy in the cabin happen prior to the climax of GAMG, setting up to the second half of the film.

It's also worth noting that I think these two movies combined have tons and tons of monster action, so none of that would get cut. But would you cut Kameobas?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

AbudJasemAlBaldawi wrote:
Considering most movies last that much in these days, it wouldn't be that bad of an idea anyway.

Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Post by Scarlet Spider »

Whenever I have Godzilla marathons, I generally skip everything besides Godzilla 2000 and GMK. I just found them really lame. It's been years since I've rewatched the Kiryu movies. From what I remember, Godzilla in these two movies was more animalistic and didn't really have a character. Probably why I found him boring.

Jory
Monarch Researcher

Post by Jory »

Scarlet Spider wrote:Whenever I have Godzilla marathons, I generally skip everything besides Godzilla 2000 and GMK. I just found them really lame. It's been years since I've rewatched the Kiryu movies. From what I remember, Godzilla in these two movies was more animalistic and didn't really have a character. Probably why I found him boring.
Can't really argue with that, but Kiryu and Mothra were so well-done in those movies that I didn't really mind.

Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Post by Scarlet Spider »

Jory wrote:
Scarlet Spider wrote:Whenever I have Godzilla marathons, I generally skip everything besides Godzilla 2000 and GMK. I just found them really lame. It's been years since I've rewatched the Kiryu movies. From what I remember, Godzilla in these two movies was more animalistic and didn't really have a character. Probably why I found him boring.
Can't really argue with that, but Kiryu and Mothra were so well-done in those movies that I didn't really mind.
I liked Kiryu going berserk, was neat.

Jory
Monarch Researcher

Post by Jory »

Scarlet Spider wrote:I liked Kiryu going berserk, was neat.
One of the better moments for sure; but my favorite was the Tokyo S.O.S. ending. Beautiful and sad, the closest one of these movies has come to bringing tears to my eyes. Best ending since 1954, IMO.

Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Post by Scarlet Spider »

Jory wrote:
Scarlet Spider wrote:I liked Kiryu going berserk, was neat.
One of the better moments for sure; but my favorite was the Tokyo S.O.S. ending. Beautiful and sad, the closest one of these movies has come to bringing tears to my eyes. Best ending since 1954, IMO.
Been a while since I've seen, is that when Kiryu carries a webbed up Goji into the ocean?

Jory
Monarch Researcher

Post by Jory »

Scarlet Spider wrote:Been a while since I've seen, is that when Kiryu carries a webbed up Goji into the ocean?
Yep; Kiryu decides to put himself to rest and take Godzilla with him. It's shot and scored beautifully, and that moment when Yoshi looks back and sees "SAYONARA YOSHI" on the computer screen...

Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Post by Scarlet Spider »

Jory wrote:
Scarlet Spider wrote:Been a while since I've seen, is that when Kiryu carries a webbed up Goji into the ocean?
Yep; Kiryu decides to put himself to rest and take Godzilla with him. It's shot and scored beautifully, and that moment when Yoshi looks back and sees "SAYONARA YOSHI" on the computer screen...

http://rs1153.pbsrc.com/albums/p520/sex ... e.png~c200
I felt pretty saddened by that ending. I'm gonna have to rewatch the two movies tonight. :D

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Still won't be tired and don't think I'll be of saying it, but 'Kiryu's Going Out Of Control' moment is still the BEST scene in the movie.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ It was a nice "Oh, crap' moment, when his hand started twitching on its own.

I watched this movie for the second time a few days ago. Ehhh.... it still didn't do a lot for me, especially now that it didn't have the 'new' factor going for it. Godzilla as a clumsily--used plot device was a really terrible idea, I have to say. My little brother was impressed by the Absolute Zero Cannon, though.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by jackzilla »

I actually really like this one. While nobody watches these films for their story or characters, I actually liked the story and characters with the introverted girl finding friends. And the monster fights were cool, and good effects for a Godzilla film. Overall, I think this is a solid entry to the franchise.
LONG LIVE THE KING

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

jackzilla wrote:I actually really like this one. While nobody watches these films for their story or characters, I actually liked the story and characters with the introverted girl finding friends. And the monster fights were cool, and good effects for a Godzilla film. Overall, I think this is a solid entry to the franchise.
Yeah, if your 12...

That's just certainly not true, most of the Showa films I watch solely for the characters and plot.
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla: