Monsters that could've been in GFW

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Which monsters could've made it?

Gorosaurus (instead of zilla)
10%
Megalon
21%
Varan
13%
Titanosaurus
15%
Baragon
3%
Mechogodzilla
9%
Spacegodzilla (instead of Monster X)
13%
Other
10%
Its good the way it is
6%

Total votes: 250

Cipher
Samurai

Re: Monsters that could've been in GFW

Post by Cipher »

MechaGodzilla should have been in hands down.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

Cipher wrote:MechaGodzilla should have been in hands down.
Kiryu was actually suppose to be in, but he was then cut out due to budget issue's.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

GodzillaFan1992 wrote:
Kiryu was actually suppose to be in, but he was then cut out due to budget issue's.
I've never heard that, and it would have been relatively inexpensive to include Kiryu since the suits and props were already made for the previous film(s). The FINAL WARS Mothra was a recycled TOKYO SOS prop, so if the filmmakers wanted to use Kiryu they would have done the same... it would have been cheaper than bringing in another monster since a different monster required new suits/props be built.

The reasons I was told Mechagodzilla wasn't in GFW were that 1) Toho didn't want to use the character again after two back-to-back movies, and 2) it didn't fit the film's story... the aliens were unaware of Godzilla's existence so they wouldn't have constructed an anti-Godzilla robot, and the earth forces had Gotengo-style airships rather than giant robots.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

kpa wrote:
GodzillaFan1992 wrote:
I've never heard that, and it would have been relatively inexpensive to include Kiryu since the suits and props were already made for the previous film(s). The FINAL WARS Mothra was a recycled TOKYO SOS prop, so if the filmmakers wanted to use Kiryu they would have done the same... it would have been cheaper than bringing in another monster since a different monster required new suits/props be built.

The reasons I was told Mechagodzilla wasn't in GFW were that 1) Toho didn't want to use the character again after two back-to-back movies, and 2) it didn't fit the film's story... the aliens were unaware of Godzilla's existence so they wouldn't have constructed an anti-Godzilla robot, and the earth forces had Gotengo-style airships rather than giant robots.
I know that Zillawiki shouldn't be believed most of the time, but here's what it say's in the trivia of Kiryu's profile.

Kiryu was intended to return in the next film, Godzilla: Final Wars. But with so many monsters being revived for the film, each with new looks, the budget costs were enormous. So too was time needed to squeeze all these monsters into one film. Toho Studios finally nixed Kiryu completely from the movie.

And a another source according to this user on Deviantart.

http://imakaijufan2.deviantart.com/jour ... -353673563

And then this.

http://kaijucombat.com/community/index. ... 241/page-3

Read the second post.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Godzilla 1995 wrote:Really? You're using what some random idiot on DEVIANTART to try and make a claim for something that wasn't true?

Ugh, you have got to be KIDDING ME.

Read what kpa said. His statement is the truth. Stick with that.
Best source I could find that's all.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1992 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Godzilla 1995 wrote:You have a better source, and it was the man who posted RIGHT BEFORE YOU.

If kpa says something is so, then he's right. The dude is basically the authority when it comes to this stuff.
Okay I get it.

If it's not true, then where does these claim's even come from and why would people write them on here on the internet?

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:You have a better source, and it was the man who posted RIGHT BEFORE YOU.

If kpa says something is so, then he's right. The dude is basically the authority when it comes to this stuff.
Thanks, Godzilla 1995! I appreciate that.

Checking my files to answer another post on TK, I found an interview I conducted with GFW producer Shogo Tomiyama the day before the film's world premiere in Hollywood. Here's what he told me...

Keith Aiken: Were there financial limitations on how many monsters could be included?

ShogoTomiyama: We knew that the fewer monsters there are, the lower the cost... but we decided that we should have the monsters we like and not be concerned about the budget too much. So, if some of the classic monsters were not included, it just means they didn't fit story-wise.
GodzillaFan1992 wrote:I know that Zillawiki shouldn't be believed most of the time
That's it, exactly. I've looked at some of their entries and they're full of mistakes. For example, their entry for "AlwaysGoji" just copied a bunch of photos from an article I wrote for SciFi Japan, but they got the name of the Godzilla design wrong. ALWAYS - SUNSET ON THIRD STREET - 2 director Takashi Yamazaki (who decided to put Godzilla in the film and created the Godzilla design for it) said the design is called "Third Street Godzilla" (三丁目ゴジラ, San-Chome Gojira)... which Zillawki would know if they'd done more than just lift photos from the SFJ article.

This isn't a big deal, but it's an example of the wiki authors posting incorrect info when accurate info was right in front of them. I wouldn't trust them as a reliable source for information.
Last edited by kpa on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

kpa wrote:

Thanks, Godzilla 1995! I appreciate that.

Checking my files to answer another post on TK, I found an interview I conducted with GFW producer Shogo Tomiyama the day before the film's world premiere in Hollywood. Here's what he told me...

Keith Aiken: Were there financial limitations on how many monsters could be included?

ShogoTomiyama: We knew that the fewer monsters there are, the lower the cost... but we decided that we should have the monsters we like and not be concerned about the budget too much. So, if some of the classic monsters were not included, it just means they didn't fit story-wise.
Even though 85% of the monsters in the film were pretty much interchangeable with any old kaiju? The only ones that were important story wise were Godzilla, Gigan, Monster X, Keiser Ghidorah, and Mothra.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Godzillian wrote:Even though 85% of the monsters in the film were pretty much interchangeable with any old kaiju? The only ones that were important story wise were Godzilla, Gigan, Monster X, Keiser Ghidorah, and Mothra.
Yeah. They started with the "must haves" -- Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah. Then they added personal favorites -- King Caesar, Gigan, Minilla, Angilas -- and "special requests" (American Godzilla). With Gotengo a major part of the story including Manda was a natural choice. The remaining selections -- Kumonga, Kamakiras, Hedorah, Ebirah -- all had big roles in Showa Godzilla films, and are all pretty different from each other as well as the monsters chosen for the film (they even gave Kamakiras a new camouflage ability so it's not just another flying insect like Mothra).

MutheSquirrel
GPN Volunteer

Post by MutheSquirrel »

I didn't need to see more monsters, just more of the monsters they used. Battles could have been longer, for the most part. Otherwise the line up was fine.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Quality over quantity. A simple phrase that would've done wonders for this film. At least all the battles are fun to watch :D

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I think the eight monsters approach could have been a better choice. It wouldn't have saved the movie, but the film would have been less crowded. They should've gone with something like:

Godzilla
Mothra
Rodan
King Ghidorah
Mechagodzilla
Anguirus
Gigan
And some eighth monster.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

GodzillaFan1992 wrote:And a another source according to this user on Deviantart.

http://imakaijufan2.deviantart.com/jour ... -353673563
Whoever wrote that got almost all of it wrong. The only point he/she got semi-right was the bit about Godzilla blowing up Rodan, Angilas and King Caesar, but they still made the mistake of calling it a "deleted scene". That scene was never filmed because was only one suit made for each of the monsters... they couldn't be blown up because Toho wanted to use them in publicity for the movie.
And then this.

http://kaijucombat.com/community/index. ... 241/page-3

Read the second post.
All that says is "I think they originally wanted to have Kiryu in it". There's no information presented at all.

RodanStomps
Monsterland Worker

Post by RodanStomps »

I would have enjoyed all the monsters in this one. I mean come on! 50 years of the big G and you dont even put in MechaGodzilla?!?!? Also, instead of the humans helping Godzilla, why not have Angurius, Rodan, and King Caesar come in and kick the crap out of Keiser? With the humans helping Godzilla, it just makes him look like a weakling.

shippersdreamer
Interpol Agent

Post by shippersdreamer »

I personally would've like to have seen Mothra take a more active role in helping Godzilla, instead of popping up and destroying the re-built Gigan.
"Look out, it's the most fearsome monster on the planet! Gezora..."

Palaeogirl
GPN Volunteer

Post by Palaeogirl »

Gorosaurus should've shown up in some form, but I think its better that Zilla was here so that we could see Godzilla beat him. I think Monster X and Keizer Ghidorah would've been better off as just a superpowered version of normal Ghidorah.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

JVM wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:The monster roster was fine as it was. Any replacements would have suffered the same fate as the ones in the film. As for Spacegodzilla, that film did poorly in the box office. It's very unlikely SG was considered.
Not to mention he wouldn't have made any skreeonkin' sense in here.
Ironic that a film that was X-Men combined with Power Rangers, the Matrix and every single Hollywood film and Godzilla would make sense, but to have something else off-the-wall does not?

I'd stick with the current director but go with eight or ten.

My ten would be:

Godzilla [Junior}
GINO Jr.
Biollante
Mothra
Kiryu
Anguirus
King Ghidorah or Bagan.
King Caesar
King Kong/Varan
Megalon

But for seven:
Godzilla [Junior}
Biollante
Mothra
Kiryu
Anguirus/Barubaroi
King Ghidorah or Bagan.
Varan/Megalon

GojiLamb
Samurai

Post by GojiLamb »

I can see why they would leave Gorosaurus out. Gorosaurus is just one of those kaiju that has no real greatness to them, I'm sorry to all those goro fans out their ,but I mean come on his only power is his Kangaroo kick.
To defend the world from devastation, to unite all people within our nation, to.... uh. Ah crap I forgot the rest.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

GojiLamb wrote:I can see why they would leave Gorosaurus out. Gorosaurus is just one of those kaiju that has no real greatness to them, I'm sorry to all those goro fans out their ,but I mean come on his only power is his Kangaroo kick.
Tell that to Anguirus, Zilla, Kamacuras, Manda, and Ebirah who got in and yet they don't have powers. :roll:

shippersdreamer
Interpol Agent

Post by shippersdreamer »

GodzillaFan1992 wrote:
GojiLamb wrote:I can see why they would leave Gorosaurus out. Gorosaurus is just one of those kaiju that has no real greatness to them, I'm sorry to all those goro fans out their ,but I mean come on his only power is his Kangaroo kick.
Tell that to Anguirus, Zilla, Kamacuras, Manda, and Ebirah who got in and yet they don't have powers. :roll:
Well I think Anguirus only got in due to popularity power.
Although I have no idea how the others got in.
"Look out, it's the most fearsome monster on the planet! Gezora..."