Monsters that could've been in GFW

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Which monsters could've made it?

Gorosaurus (instead of zilla)
10%
Megalon
21%
Varan
13%
Titanosaurus
15%
Baragon
3%
Mechogodzilla
9%
Spacegodzilla (instead of Monster X)
13%
Other
10%
Its good the way it is
6%

Total votes: 250

Darth Calypso
Gotengo Officer

Monsters that could've been in GFW

Post by Darth Calypso »

What other Toho monsters do you think could've been in GFW?
Think With Your Dipstick Jimmy
My edited images, drawings, music, and SFX

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Monsters that could've been in GFW

Post by JVM »

Gorosaurus was supposed to be in originally but was replaced with Zilla.

Mechagodzilla was cut entirely.

Ganimes was replaced with Ebirah.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

As much as I like the new Gotengo, I've always thought its role should have been given to Kiryu. I mean, how the heck do you have a 50th Anniversary Godzilla movie without Mechagodzilla?

Also, it'd make a lot more sense if Megalon had Hedorah's role. "HA-HA, 1 HIT KO!" would be a lot funnier if it was a useless doofus like Megalon instead of Hedorah, who's arguably among Godzilla's top three deadliest foes, which instead just makes it fanboy rage-inducing.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

Chris55 wrote:Why the hell aren't Giant Condor or Giant Serizawa options?
Because life just sucks.
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Varan needs a redemption. After his terribly butchered American Varan, the Unbelievable and DAM, someone needs to put him in a movie and give him some actual real screentime.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

King Caesar wrote:Varan needs a redemption. After his terribly butchered American Varan, the Unbelievable and DAM, someone needs to put him in a movie and give him some actual real screentime.
GFW screentime does not count
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Well something even as long as KC's showtime would work for me. He is so overlooked I feel like.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Now I can finally rest in peace knowing someone in Toho likes King Caesar.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Gorosaurus should have been in this. Seriously, I wouldnt even mind if it was a tiny little cameo. I really wanna see the big guy back. This was the only chance I was gonna get too.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Gorosaurus Rex wrote:Gorosaurus should have been in this. Seriously, I wouldnt even mind if it was a tiny little cameo. I really wanna see the big guy back. This was the only chance I was gonna get too.
Goro is awesome, but there was technically no reason to put him in GFW. His only appearance within Godzilla was DAM and a few stock footage cameos. In DAM he was really placeholding for Baragon.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Probably cause I actually liked g98 but I'm very happy Zilla was in GFW. I thought that was awesome. as for other monsters, I'd have to go with Destroyah, SG, Biollante, Orga, and I'd swap Kasier Ghidraoh for classic King Ghidraoh in a heartbeat.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

cloverfan98 wrote:Probably cause I actually liked g98 but I'm very happy Zilla was in GFW. I thought that was awesome. as for other monsters, I'd have to go with Destroyah, SG, Biollante, Orga, and I'd swap Kasier Ghidraoh for classic King Ghidraoh in a heartbeat.
I'd agree with the Ghidorahs and Destoroyah. Orga would've been great but his toys sold crappy and Toho apparently cares about that stuff, and SG just wouldn't fit in. Bio I got no clue.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

I've always liked Gorosaurus but I'm really glad Zilla is in GFW... it's one of the few things that I think worked really well in the movie. From talking to the Toho crew, they felt that-- love the American Godzilla or hate him-- the monster left a big stamp on the history of Godzilla and deserved to be in the anniversary. They also wanted to leave no doubt that the Japanese Godzilla was stronger. And seeing Godzilla fight Godzilla was fun, and something I never expected to see beyond fan art and movies.

Plus there's little bits of trivia that I liked. Zilla was the first 100% CGI monster in a Toho Godzilla film. He was the second American monster and only the second monster introduced in a movie not made by Toho to fight Godzilla on the big screen. And Godzilla beats Zilla with speed, which was clever... and clever is not how I'd describe most of GFW.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

I knew the CGI part, but that is really interesting. I think Zilla is the first of many CGI monsters to come.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Orga never interested me a whole lot. He's okay but lacks some kind of character or something. He just doesn't seem unique.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

JVM wrote:
Gorosaurus Rex wrote:Gorosaurus should have been in this. Seriously, I wouldnt even mind if it was a tiny little cameo. I really wanna see the big guy back. This was the only chance I was gonna get too.
Goro is awesome, but there was technically no reason to put him in GFW. His only appearance within Godzilla was DAM and a few stock footage cameos. In DAM he was really placeholding for Baragon.
I understand that, which is kind of why I really wanted to see him in this movie. Its in big Destroy All Monsters like films that we will ever see the big guy again. That stupid early roster just served to get my hopes up for this film.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

godzilla1996
Monsterland Worker

Post by godzilla1996 »

Gorosaurus instead of Zilla hands down.
Formerly known as godzilla2001.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Yeah moderators!
@ omgitsgodzilla, the double rainbow means that Godzilla is on some really good shit

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

TO be honest as UNLIKLY as it is, I think it would have been awesome had Toho been able to put Kong or Gamera in GFW.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

There's really no directors at Toho who were capable of doing Godzilla right at this point. Kaneko left, and the rest of the Millennium and later Heisei series.... ugh

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The monster roster was fine as it was. Any replacements would have suffered the same fate as the ones in the film. As for Spacegodzilla, that film did poorly in the box office. It's very unlikely SG was considered.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.