Opinion of the Millennium Suits

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Re: Opinion of the Millennium Suits

Post by DirektorSplennic »

KiryuGoji is my absolute favorite Godzilla design, but the actual usage of the suit is extremely underwhelming. He seems like he's brain dead throughout the entire Kiryu saga. Also it looks weirdly more rubbery than the other Millennium suits.
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

MireGoji is my third favorite Godzilla suit of them all, but the Millennium era has top-notch designs altogether.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Honestly, I really like them all. MireGoji being my favorite. I think every suit from Heisei on has been great actually. All seem threatening.

Oca12
Young Farmer

Post by Oca12 »

MireGoji: Really awesome! This is THE definitive Millennium design IMO. I like the Heisei design more but I'm glad they went for a more out out-there design for Godzilla. Love the dorsal plate shapes and the color choices! Though the limbs and neck look a tad too small IMO. Overall I prefer the concept design used in the SHMA Figure. Solid 8/10

GiraGoji: Godzilla 2000 but with a worse shade of Green. 7/10

GMKGoji: Badass. Straight up. The white eyes and menacing smile just add to it. He's pretty chubby though, and the tail could be a little bit thicker, like the Heisei Godzilla designs. My favorite Millennium design, very solid 9/10

KiryuGoji: A refined Godzilla 2000. I loved the purple and green coloring, but its nice to see more traditional coloring. The tail is so long and thin I love it! And the neck (as weird as it sounds) I always liked how it was shaped. If I had to nitpick, I do think the eyes definitely look too big and cutesy. Though the Rulers of Earth Godzilla did fix that, and made him a lot beefier. I do prefer that design, but this is still a solid 9/10 as well.

FinalGoji: Basically KiryuGoji but with more 1954-like features. The return of the ears and fangs are always nice, and those orange/red eyes are just so imposing and awesome! My one complaint are the dorsal plates. They're about the same size as GareGoji's dorsal plates, and while I do like the shape, the size just doesn't sit right with me (just like GareGoji). Solid 9/10, again

Overall, I really love the Millennium designs! While the Heisei went for a more traditional and basic design, these definately scream "modern" and "cool" a lot more for me. All of these are A tier worthy imo.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

I don't like how yellow GiraGoji's teeth are compared to G2K, but aside from that I don't mind it too much

Final Wars' design has always been one of my favorites, and I don't see the rat comparisons people always draw.

my opinions on GMK and KiryuGoji are pretty much the same as everyone elses.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Agent Smith
Monsterland Worker

Post by Agent Smith »

All suits are amazing. The least amazing is GFW and even then I still like it. It just looks odd from the front. I also like how streamlined and lean that suit is. The 2K, GvM, and Kiryu suits look wickedly awesome as well. GMK is downright scary. They all have unique charms to them.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Honestly some of the best suits in the series.

The Kiryu Saga suit in particular is the look I default Godzilla to when he first pops in my mind.

Locutus
Yojimbo

Post by Locutus »

Love em all.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Mire is my favorite of the era followed very closely by GMK. I think I like the Gira repaint the most. Kiryu and FW are not very impressive to me.
Terasawa wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:11 pm
UltramanGoji wrote:
Terasawa wrote:The MireGoji design probably should be an iconic look for the character but I can't get past how poorly constructed the costume is, especially compared to the costumes Wakasa didn't build from the same era (e.g. the Heisei Godzillas and Gameras, the GMK Godzilla).
What do you think the costume got wrong? I thought it looked pretty great (protruding teeth aside) and it moved fairly well, at least more than later suits like the KiryuGoji.
I guess it's less the suit and more the execution of bringing it to life.
I think you mean costume, sir.

King_Joe_Radio
Young Farmer

Post by King_Joe_Radio »

The suit from GMK looks really good, but I just don't care for the other ones. Design wise they're alright, but the suits look way too plastic-y for me and I remember them being pretty fuckin' stiff.
FW Goji comes close to be good, and while it isn't as stiff it's also way too skinny, and it's face looks like a fucking rodent's.

Locutus
Yojimbo

Post by Locutus »

Love em all.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Here is my ranking of the Millennium suits:

1) Mire/Gira Goji: my favorite Millennium design by far because of how distinct it is. Love the more reptilian look and the color scheme. It has a bit of the post-Heisei chunkiness and some shots like the body slam in Megaguirus are laughable, but still hold a lot of nostalgia for it.

2) GMK Goji: one of the most expressive Godzilla suits despite no pupils. Reminds me the most of a Showa design compared to other Millennium designs. Has some wonky aspects like a potbelly and clown feet, but easily one of the most menacing looks Godzilla has ever had.

3) FW Goji: Ratzilla has grown on me over the years. Having mousey features in the face does distract, but I think it does manage to give Godzilla a mean look. I think the dorsal spines are the most underwhelming compared to the designs before it as well. Reminds me the most of a Heisei look.

4) Kiryu Goji: was a favorite of mine back when I was a kid but no longer. I think the design plays it too safe by being a more reserved take on the MireGoji suit. It takes the old color scheme, puts it on the 2000 suit, and scales back the radical aspects of the design. I think it is too conservative and the character of Godzilla in the movie doesn't do much help either.

Tyrant_Liz
Ronin

Post by Tyrant_Liz »

I quite like the MireGoji design. It's definitely "of it's time" what with all of the jagged edges. It's very "Xtreme" xD, but I think it works. The color scheme is unique and I feel the face has a ton of personality.

GMKGoji is a really interesting design. I like how it harkens back to the OG design while still feeling fresh at the same time. I love the pupil-less eyes as well. However, the pot belly drags the suit down for me, as well as it's offputting posture. Something about it just doesnt look quite right to me.

The Kiryu saga design is fine. It feels like a more refined version of the MireGoji design. Like merging elements of that rather extreme design with elements of a more classic Goji design. That being said, I think in it's refinement the design loses some of it's charm. This design just doesnt stand out to me. For me it's just kinda....there.

I hate FinalGoji's stupid rat face and overly slim design. That's all I have to say about that.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Tyrant_Liz wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:56 pm

I hate FinalGoji's stupid rat face and overly slim design. That's all I have to say about that.
Favourite new member. No contest.
For Emperor and Empire!

Masterofsome01
Samurai

Post by Masterofsome01 »

1:Kiryu-Goji; is honestly tied with Ghido-Goji and Mosu-Goji for my favorite look for Godzilla a nice blend of the traditional colors with Masaaki Tezuka's sharp menacing design, it makes me happy to see this suit become a favorite to a lot of the fandom and be used as a basis Godzilla in Rulers of Earth

2:Sokogeki-Goji; part of my love for this suit comes from the fact that I love GMK with a passion, but that doesn't mean it is flawless, like the laughably large feet and the giraffe neck which to be fair is only noticeable in a few scenes, that being said this is still one of the scarier designs thank to the amount of malice in those souless white eyes

3:Mire-Goji/Gira-Goji; These two are a tie for me since they're the same suit just that the latter is a lighter shade of color, these suits are great and I enjoy the movies they're in but I feel that everything these designs do right Kiryu-Goji just does better

4:Final-Goji; This suit is rather odd given it's slimmer design, but my thoughts on this suit are just like my opinion on the movie it appeared in, in that it's always changing with my mood, sometimes I love it, other times I hate it, but most of the time I'm indifferent to it and for that I can't place it any higher on my list
Spoiler:
But I can't place it any lower than my least favorite
Always-Goji; Holy Skreeonk! do I not like this design, yeah it is CGI not a suit, but I feel the need to bring this up if we're talking about millennium looks, my main problem is with the design, the short almost pig-nosed snout gave me wartime flashbacks to Musuko-Goji when I first saw it, the arms were super lanky against the boxy chest, and the skin looked smooth like a dolphin's at points and those are the reasons that this is my least favorite look of this era
Last edited by Masterofsome01 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Of all the Millennium designs GMK is the most well-done artistically... a ghostly animal very reminescent of the original beast.

G2K is neat, very stylized and the beginning of the "super plates" kind of approach that has become very popular among fans. Kiryu Godzilla is a variation on that with a more mammalian face... but I feel something went wrong when they did that and didn't change the eyes. Feels more cartoony than it should be

FW Godzilla is absolute trash, I like some of the texturing but it's got that terrible visage and those overtly toned bodybuilder-type muscles that really bring the whole of it down
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I pretty much like them all. Its difficult for me to choose between G2K, GMK, and GXMG's designs. Ultimately, I think KiryuGoji ranks a little lower than the other two but this really varies by day.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Kiryugoji had only one good shot and that was when the lightning struck its scutes then it was downhill from there.

GMK is overrated to high hell, if he didn't have those big ass goofy looking slipper feet he would fare better. The soulless eyes are the best and his demeanor spot on.

G2000 design is very good, especially his spines I like them.

GFW was o.k... his rat face didn't do it for me but overall not that bad.
Last edited by goji89 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I can't find much good about G2000, dude is literally the most hunchback of the franchise suits. He can barely move beyond shoulder rubs and bites. His spines are cool but every spikey Godzilla after did it better.

At least Kiryugoji actively looked badass with a proper stature, cobra neck, and pissed off expression, plus he could deal with enemies without looking at their feet. GMK is epic as we all know, GFW was incredibly mobile and badass.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:18 pm I can't find much good about G2000, dude is literally the most hunchback of the franchise suits. He can barely move beyond shoulder rubs and bites. His spines are cool but every spikey Godzilla after did it better.

At least Kiryugoji actively looked badass with a proper stature, cobra neck, and pissed off expression, plus he could deal with enemies without looking at their feet. GMK is epic as we all know, GFW was incredibly mobile and badass.
Ever since my "comeback" we've agreed pretty much on everything, but I'm gonna have to disagree with this entire post. Everything you said was wrong and you should feel ashamed of this damn post. My head canon is that you smoked the devils lettuce and used the booger sugar.