Favorite Score

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

What is your favorite Millennium score?

Godzilla 2000 (Hattori)
No votes
Godzilla vs Megaguirus (Oshima)
10%
GMK (Otani)
49%
Godzilla X Mechagodzilla (Oshima)
8%
Tokyo SOS (Oshima)
21%
Godzilla Final Wars (Yano, Morino, Emerson)
13%

Total votes: 39

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Re: Favorite Score

Post by DirektorSplennic »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:19 pm :D
attilagodzilla wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 am Added in 3 minutes 8 seconds:
Terasawa wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:55 pm

Because for every piece like this, there's crap like this. I'd like to know what you mean by the orchestra because this is the last Godzilla soundtrack I'd consider "orchestral". :eh:
Funnily enough that song you call crap is one of my more memorable songs from the series
Was scrolling down hoping to see a comment to this effect. I love that song and its stuck with me for a long time.
I have really fond memories with that song. Final Wars was my first Godzilla dvd that I got when I was in like 3rd grade, and my Dad took a real liking to this song after we finished the movie. Good memories.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:07 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:19 pm :D
attilagodzilla wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 am Added in 3 minutes 8 seconds:

Funnily enough that song you call crap is one of my more memorable songs from the series
Was scrolling down hoping to see a comment to this effect. I love that song and its stuck with me for a long time.
I have really fond memories with that song. Final Wars was my first Godzilla dvd that I got when I was in like 3rd grade, and my Dad took a real liking to this song after we finished the movie. Good memories.
I saw it at G-Fest in '05. Never been to a movie showing with an atmosphere like that before and I doubt it will again. The song has been stuck in my head ever since! Like you it reminds me of good times with my familiy! I also think its rather unique as far as Godzilla tracks go. So...overall...I like this score. And I'm usually a traditionalist in this regard!

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I chose Tokyo S.O.S.. It takes everything that I liked about the score in Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and adds more to it. Every time I hear the music from that movie, it brings back memories from my childhood. And the music used in the end credits.....so beautiful. Oshima really needs to return to the Godzilla franchise.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

1973GXMSITB
Ronin

Post by 1973GXMSITB »

All three of Michiru Oshima's scores! She slayed this stuff man! Awesome work in all three films.

I also really liked Kow Otani's different sounding but appropriate score for GMK.

Hattori's G2K score...boy he tried, lolz. But the reuse of that theme OVER AND OVER again got tedious. That was a case where the US version made massive improvements yo! Still the weakest of the Millmill films.

Some of the music in Final Wars is pretty good, and matches the bombastic nature of the film.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Michiru Oshima's scores for both Kiryu films are not only phenomenal, it breathes new life of already established iconic traits of the monsters.
From the dreadful icoming storm-like march of drums for Godzilla, the exotic, angelic presence of woodwinds & strings for Mothra, and to the heroic orchestral army marching band for Mechagodzilla.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

1. GMK easily. The moment that main theme kicks in is one of my favorite musical moments in any Godzilla movie. Ghidorah's theme is appropriately mysterious and majestic.

2. GFW. Yeah the music is largely hit or miss but the tracks that hit general outweigh the bad tracks.

Everything else is a bunch of unremarkable mediocrity.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

shadowgigan wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:36 am
I saw it at G-Fest in '05. Never been to a movie showing with an atmosphere like that before and I doubt it will again. The song has been stuck in my head ever since! Like you it reminds me of good times with my familiy! I also think its rather unique as far as Godzilla tracks go. So...overall...I like this score. And I'm usually a traditionalist in this regard!
I'll never ever forget that night. Bittersweet to remember because you're right, I don't think I'll ever see an atmosphere like that again.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

There were other threads that asked the same question: here and here.

But yeah, I have always loved Michiru Oshima's work. While TOKYO SOS's score is richer, emotionally speaking, I've always had a soft spot for the GxM score. Great stuff!
Last edited by H-Man on Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

H-Man wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:48 am There were other threads that asked the same question: here and here.

But yeah, I have always loved Michiru Oshima's work. While TOKYO SOS's score is richer, emotionally speaking, I've always had a soft spot for the GxM score. Great stuff!
This thread o’ mine is nearly a year old, I don’t think anyone really cares if there’s others ;)

Anywho, Oshima is my favourite too.
For Emperor and Empire!

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:54 pm
H-Man wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:48 am There were other threads that asked the same question: here and here.

This thread o’ mine is nearly a year old, I don’t think anyone really cares if there’s others ;)

Anywho, Oshima is my favourite too.
At the other forum I actively post at, we're always on the lookout for multiple threads about the same topic so that the Mods and Admins can merge them. So it sort of bleeds over here. :)
Last edited by H-Man on Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:16 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:36 am
I'll never ever forget that night. Bittersweet to remember because you're right, I don't think I'll ever see an atmosphere like that again.
It really feels like a simpler time for me back then. I was only 12, and seeing GFW seemed like a dream come true as usually I had to wait at least a year to see the film.