Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs Kamacuras

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
BlankAccount
Sazer

Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs Kamacuras

Post by BlankAccount »

Had Kananko made Godzilla vs Kamacuras I imagine it would be a similar fight to Godzilla vs Megaguirus, where it's less durable than moster giant monster but really hard to hit either due to insane speed and reflexes or active camouflage like in GFW. I kind of wish it was made, Godzilla vs Megaguirus felt like a nice throwback to Godzilla vs Gigan, where the enemy monster doesn't need to be a huge powerhouse to put Godzilla's life on the line, it just need to be a good fighter. Plus it would have been interesting to see something as non threatening as Kamacruas was in the Showa era given a slight power boost to be able to compete with Godzilla (or would Godzilla have been nerfed? Both?)
Last edited by BlankAccount on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Unmade: Godzilla vs Kamacuras

Post by Gigantis »

Kaneko should have came to the studio one year earlier,this film probably would have actually happened if he did!

It's an interesting concept,and i could easily see it being used in a comic or something similar.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Would have made an excellent movie, no doubt. Having the smaller praying mantises from Son of Godzilla as villains for the human story like the little Destroyah monsters could have been neat too.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

One of my favorite parts of Godzilla vs. Megaguirus, is when the meganula all pile up on Godzilla and he swats them off and blasts them. It`s a good fight, and I wish we got more things like that.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Unit~NoA
G-Force Personnel

Post by Unit~NoA »

If you've seen Vs. Megaguirus it'll probably play out no differently but with just camouflage, or need a whole new ability to keep it fresh...

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

I think Kaneko would have made Kamacuras like, a god of something or a guardian of a fallen civilization.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LamangoKaijura wrote:I think Kaneko would have made Kamacuras like, a god of something or a guardian of a fallen civilization.
probably would knowing him. He''d make the species some weird mantis god destroyer thing.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

tyrantgoji wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:I think Kaneko would have made Kamacuras like, a god of something or a guardian of a fallen civilization.
probably would knowing him. He''d make the species some weird mantis god destroyer thing.
And maybe something similar to Legion. First, Godzilla fights a swarm of smaller mantises, then the big one in the climax.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Which is just what happens in G vs Megaguirus, but with dragonflies.

Kaneko is a talented director, so I'm sure G vs Kamacuras would have been pretty good.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Kaneko really keeps piling on this one for some reason. Says he would really like to go back to it!

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

tyrantgoji wrote:Kaneko really keeps piling on this one for some reason. Says he would really like to go back to it!
I guess he's a big fan of the big mantis.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Not the sexiest pick for a Godzilla foe, but that doesn't mean the movie wouldn't be good, especially with Kaneko at the helm.

However, there is that part of my brain that will always be 7 years old that's like "You have Gigan, Anguirus, Varan, Hedorah, Destroyah, Battra, Kumonga, and Gorosaurus to pick from, and Kamacuras makes the cut?".
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GojiDog wrote:Not the sexiest pick for a Godzilla foe, but that doesn't mean the movie wouldn't be good, especially with Kaneko at the helm.

However, there is that part of my brain that will always be 7 years old that's like "You have Gigan, Anguirus, Varan, Hedorah, Destroyah, Battra, Kumonga, and Gorosaurus to pick from, and Kamacuras makes the cut?".
Hey, Kamacuras is cool, man. One of the best realized monsters of the Showa series.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
GojiDog wrote:Not the sexiest pick for a Godzilla foe, but that doesn't mean the movie wouldn't be good, especially with Kaneko at the helm.

Hey, Kamacuras is cool, man. One of the best realized monsters of the Showa series.
Special effects wise, yes. The puppetry used to bring the mantis monsters to life is incredible.

As far as a foe to Godzilla though...they were basically the scrubs used to make Godzilla and Kumonga look like the real tough guys in the room, and serve as bullies for Minilla. Against big papa, they weren't much a threat.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GojiDog wrote: Special effects wise, yes. The puppetry used to bring the mantis monsters to life is incredible.

As far as a foe to Godzilla though...they were basically the scrubs used to make Godzilla and Kumonga look like the real tough guys in the room, and serve as bullies for Minilla. Against big papa, they weren't much a threat.
But since that was the intention of the character, it's not really a negative attribute.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

UltramanGoji wrote:
GojiDog wrote: Special effects wise, yes. The puppetry used to bring the mantis monsters to life is incredible.

But since that was the intention of the character, it's not really a negative attribute.
Eh... I like Kamacuras a lot, but I don't think a character's attributes being intentional necessarily prevents some of those attributes from being negative ones, at least in the eyes of viewers.

Classic example: Jar Jar Binks. Many viewers think he's annoying, however, judging by how other characters in the movie react towards him, "annoying" is an intentional attribute for the character. Many viewers also think that attribute, while intentional, is indeed a negative one.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Re: Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs Kamacuras

Post by Eel221 »

Picking Kamacuras as Godzilla's main enemy is oddly specific. Any reasons behind that?

It also reminds me of another scrapped project, "Godzilla vs. Varan"

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs Kamacuras

Post by edgaguirus »

While Kamacura isn't that impressive, that's because we judge it by SOG. A mantis or group of Mantis could be made a real threat with some reworking of the character.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.