Millennium Date

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Millennium Date

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

^True; I like all of them. Yuri's great as well.

I was going by the fact that Akane practically threw Godzilla out in the sea via Kiryu.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I'm just waiting to see what name sticks within Japanese publications for the Millennium and current eras.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Dr.Cgad
Samurai

Post by Dr.Cgad »

can we get back on topic with this damn it
Try not to get sucked into the vortex of hell Billy!

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Maritonic wrote:This has been a topic of debate and discussion for a while. It's not really "over" technically...since my understanding is the Millennium title is just a temporary title until a new Era is officially named e.i. Showa and Heisei.
Correct, this is how we are approaching things. This was adopted from how Toho used, "used" to being the key word, clump things together based on these series denotations. For example, Gunhed and Princess From the Moon were placed in the Heisei series in some publications in Japan, despite having no connection to the Godzilla series that spear headed that moniker. It shouldn't be too shocking that things revolve heavily around Godzilla at Toho.

...that said, I have never seen anything done after Final Wars mentioned in an official capacity as belonging to the Millennium series. In fact, stuff after Sazer X ended rarely share a publication that also includes the Godzilla stuff. I have yet to see Attack of the Titan or 20th Century Boys and Godzilla in the same book, for example. We latch onto the Millennium name because it's simply the last series that Toho gave an official name to.

That said, I have changed this board to run from 1999-2015. Anything after can deal with Godzilla Resurgence, and eventually the anime movies will be thrown in this catch all "shin" board for where the future is headed. Personally, I'm not holding out hope that they do coin a name for this post Millennium work, excluding Legendary and their very clear name of MonsterVerse for their movies (which Toho will start taking a production credit on beginning with the next Godzilla film).
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Dr.Cgad
Samurai

Post by Dr.Cgad »

Time for a bad pun. To Shinfinity and Beyond!!
Try not to get sucked into the vortex of hell Billy!

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Technically speaking any movie Japanese movie from 1989 through now is a Heisei film, coming out during the Heisei era of Japan, that won't change until the new emperor is crowned.

For Godzilla fandom it is slightly different, if you check out the Japanese wiki page you will see the films broken into 6 current categories
  1. * 昭和ゴジラシリーズ aka Showa Godzilla Series
    * 平成ゴジラシリーズ(vsシリーズ)aka Heisei Godzilla Series (Vs Series)
    * ミレニアムシリーズ aka Millennium Series
    * 2010年代 aka 2010’s
    * ハリウッド版 aka Hollywood Version
    * モンスターバースシリーズ aka Monsterverse Series
You will notice that Godzilla 1984 is listed as coming out in the 59th Showa year but gets moved into the Heisei Series
Heisei Series also has a nickname "Vs Series" as all the film other then Godzilla (1984) use Vs in the title and not 対 which the international title would use vs.
All the Millennium movies still have the Heisei year listed 11 through the 16th
Although all X was used instead of 対 or Vs, I have never seen the Millennium films referred to as the "X Series"
Currently the Japanese are just using 2010's as a placeholder name, but Shin Godzilla came out in 28th Heisei year.
Last edited by szmigiel on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

szmigiel wrote:Although all X was used instead of 対 or Vs, I have never seen the Millennium films referred to as the "X Series"
I remember this being bandied about as a suggestion past-Megaguirus, but it certainly never seems to have caught on.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.