Which Millennium film do you think should've got the KotM'56/G'85 treatment?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Godzilla 2000
37%
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
11%
Godzilla, Mothra & King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
5%
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla/Godzilla: Tokyo SOS
5%
Godzilla: Final Wars
11%
I don't mind
No votes
Neither
32%

Total votes: 19

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Which Millennium film do you think should've got the King of the Monsters '56/Godzilla 1985 treatment? Not only dubbed, but also have newly filmed scenes inserted in for Western audiences. True Raymond Burr can't come back if he's been dead since '93, but who's to say another actor or two can't take his place? Maybe playing the role as his son or descendant maybe?

Please feel free to submit your vote as well as express your opinions and reasons in the comments below. Thank you.
Last edited by SonOfGorgo on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Which Millennium film do you think should've got the KotM'56/G'85 treatment?

Post by Ivo-goji »

G2000 would be the logical choice.

I'm thinking of an American cut that tied in to GKOM, instead of leaving the story's connection to previous film ambiguous like the original. Maybe even including a reference to G85, creating an American Godzilla timeline distinct from the rest of the Millennium series. There wouldn't need to be any real changes to the story other than including more exposition and some kind of international presence to comment on the action.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Kenpachiro Hirata
Samurai

Re: Which Millennium film do you think should've got the KotM'56/G'85 treatment?

Post by Kenpachiro Hirata »

Mmm... "None" should be an option.
Last edited by Kenpachiro Hirata on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It started when man first stepped out of the garden of Eden and left his innocence behind."

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

^
Agreed. None of them.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

OpteraKaiju92
Ronin

Post by OpteraKaiju92 »

I voted megaguirus since that is one of the least liked films in the millenium series to most, and still wouldnt trust America since 98 'Zilla. If they can turn that into not only a good movie but a box office success then give then give us more free reign into something like GMK. Though i agree the logical choice would G2000
"What you habitually think largely determines what you will ultimately become" - Bruce Lee

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I wanted to say Godzilla 2000, but I think Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla could have been tied in nice. Burr mentions that the G54 body was never found so you could have it revealed that the Japanese government had the skeleton in secrete trying to create a controllable Godzilla. Kiryu Godzilla would then be revealed to have been the 84 Godzilla having finally escaped from Mt. Mihara.

84/Kiryu Godzilla could also be revealed to be a clone that Japan lost control of. Burr's character would finally pass away in this film as he was gone himself and this would be Mr. Martin's send off.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

In terms of the tone...I would have to say that Godzilla 2000 would be the best choice. Just cut together a prologue/narration that gives the film a set backstory/timeline....one that includes KOTM, 85....and either includes Biollante, or at least includes a remark about Godzilla getting out of the Volcano.

Dialogue could also be changed/added to explain Godzilla's altering/mutating appearance over time. He grows larger/smaller based on his environment and how long he's gone since absorbing nuclear energy, etc etc

I mean.....my headcanon timeline of films is pretty much 54, 84, 89, 99 ANYWAYS....

I'm not sure if splicing in a new actor with a complete plot would be the best thing. NOW, threading in a minor sub-plot that somehow supplements the main story and has a payoff in the end.....it could be done, I just don't see a great way of doing it. I largely consider Godzilla 2000 to be an "Americanization" essentially in the same vein as KOTM or 85....only not to the same extreme. It's still the alternate US Version of the original film.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

G2000 is the closest thing to it, but I'd have to say none of them as I don't think any of them really need it.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I think what happened to G2K was ideal, enhanced to a degree but largely left the same. I believe in leaving the movies alone outside of dubs for people (especially young kids - a lot of us here wouldn't be here without them) that want them but the way they approached G2K's US release was very respectful to me.

It would have been an original production, but I think the closest to a new KOTM/G85 would've been this -
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2014 ... hat-wasnt/