Scrapped Monster Discussion: M / Takegami (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Scrapped Monster Discussion: M / Takegami (2001)

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Since I couldn't find a thread regarding this kaiju that never saw the light of day, I thought I'd make one myself.

So, how do you feel about this idea of a new kaiju for Godzilla to fight? Would you have preferred this to GVA/GMK? Would it have been great to see?

Personally I like the idea, while maybe similar to the Frankenstein monster in Frankenstein vs. Baragon, it might be interesting to see a human being actually become an actual giant monster as opposed to being created from the DNA of one like Biollante.

Please feel free to express your thoughts in the comments below. Thank you.
Last edited by SonOfGorgo on Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Scrapped Monster Discussion: M / Takegami (2001)

Post by edgaguirus »

A man turning into a giant alien monster would be an interesting kaiju for Godzilla to fight. If it worked for an Ultraman episode, the it could surely work for Godzilla.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

edgaguirus wrote:A man turning into a giant alien monster would be an interesting kaiju for Godzilla to fight. If it worked for an Ultraman episode, the it could surely work for Godzilla.
Would that be Jamila you are referring to?

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Stevo_1985 wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:A man turning into a giant alien monster would be an interesting kaiju for Godzilla to fight. If it worked for an Ultraman episode, the it could surely work for Godzilla.
I was always concerned that this idea would have been too reminiscent of Jamila.

Although, of course, the first Quatermass series/movie had already done something similar; it's not like the idea can't be approached in a variety of ways.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I really liked the idea of this film. GMK ended up being one of my top 3 fav godzilla films so it worked out. As for the man kaiju, I really love the idea. Perhaps one day it'll make a come back

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

eabaker wrote:
I was always concerned that this idea would have been too reminiscent of Jamila.
Yeah.. but Jamila was such a good story. Tragic, but good. Biollante doesn’t really touch it. Ericka for me anyways was forgettable. She was an after thought after the explosion. I think a Jamila angle would do the series good because I found myself conflicted. Mankind did Jamila dirty and I ended up finding myself angered that Ultraman killed him off. Justice was not served. I’ve never had these conflicting emotions in a Godzilla film.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Astronauts turning into monsters/aliens are nothing new to sci fi, but Jamilla was a sympathetic take on it. M would have been another take on it, and one that would probably be even more effective. M has a daughter, and the script could have played off of both to convey empathy for the character.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

eabaker wrote:
Stevo_1985 wrote:
Funny you should say that cause the 'art' of this monster for years was just Powered Jamila with red glowing eyes photoshopped onto it. :lol:
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Godzilla2004fan
Samurai

Post by Godzilla2004fan »

Man, I remember that this creature was also called as Uchujin.
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I really like the concept of this kaiju. The idea of Godzilla fighting a monster that was actually human at one point can bring up many interesting moments and bring up the question of what it truly means to be human. Hell, the whole idea is a major influence on one of the projects I'm working on.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Godzilla vs. Xtro?

Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

While an interesting concept i think could've worked, i can't help but feel like the similarities to Jamila here are just too hard to ignore. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this film was actually made Tsuburaya would file a lawsuit.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

tyrantgoji wrote:While an interesting concept i think could've worked, i can't help but feel like the similarities to Jamila here are just too hard to ignore. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this film was actually made Tsuburaya would file a lawsuit.
This was a first draft. Hopefully, they would have made some changes if the plot was accepted.