Scrapped Monster Discussion: Anguirus (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Scrapped Monster Discussion: Anguirus (2001)

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

With the main site talking about the scrapped monsters for GMK's original draft, I figured it would be cool to bring discussion to the forums.

So, how do you feel about this idea for Anguirus? Would you have preferred this to GMK's Ghidorah? Is this too radical a redesign, or would it have been great to see?

I personally am neutral. I like the idea for the powers, but attached to Anguirus? I don't know. I like the design, certainly would've been better than the GFW redesign. I think I prefer Ghidorah in GMK over this concept.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Scrapped Monster Discussion: Anguirus (2001)

Post by LegendZilla »

The things I would do to get GAV get made instead of GMK.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I feel like none of the proposed monsters for GMK made any sense for the roles they were given.

On the one hand giving Anguirus supernatural powers completely screws up the kaiju's whole appeal as the 'no frills' monster, as badly as making King Ghidorah a hero screws up his villain cred. On the other hand, it would have placed Anguirus in the biggest role he'd ever had since his debut film. I'm kind of on the fence myself.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

KingZillla
Interpol Agent

Post by KingZillla »

Ivo-goji wrote:I feel like none of the proposed monsters for GMK made any sense for the roles they were given.

On the one hand giving Anguirus supernatural powers completely screws up the kaiju's whole appeal as the 'no frills' monster, as badly as making King Ghidorah a hero screws up his villain cred. On the other hand, it would have placed Anguirus in the biggest role he'd ever had since his debut film. I'm kind of on the fence myself.
Completely agree
We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent... Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." -The King Returns, 2016.

Let them fight - 2019

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

While it's always cool to think about what could've been, I really think the final product was one of the best Godzilla movies, and I don't mind that Varan and Anguirus got scrapped.

Ironically by adding more overused monsters the film feels more original. Baragon, Mothra and Ghidorah ads both three completely different monsters in terms of physical nature and powers. Imagery of a golden orochi/dragon, a giant moth god, and the canine dog like Baragon mix way better than three reptilian monsters. In fact they would've added so much powers, particularly ice Anguirus, to make the whole thing make more diverse.

Besides, it's not like Anguirus, Baragon or Varan are original monsters. If I found out that original monsters for the film were scrapped in favor for something like this perhaps I'd be upset.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Ivo-goji wrote:I feel like none of the proposed monsters for GMK made any sense for the roles they were given.

No frills? Don't know what that means, but okay.

I'm kind of open to the idea of making Anguirus a guardian monster similar to Gamera's Heisei rendition, complete with a sub-zero breath.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I really love the design they would have used for Anguirus in this movie. The powers were nice and would have made sense in the context of the movie

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

SonOfGorgo wrote:

No frills? Don't know what that means, but okay.

I'm kind of open to the idea of making Anguirus a guardian monster similar to Gamera's Heisei rendition, complete with a sub-zero breath.
No-frills = no flashy extra powers and what not, a giant animal in its purity. The Batman of the kaiju kingdom.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

I think I would have preferred Anguirus to Mothra, if they didn't give him any super-duper powers. The only new aspect of him would hopefully be the guardian monster spirituality stuff.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

So according to Matt Frank the Angurius would have been made with a giant mechanical puppet like the wolf in "An American Werewolf in London"

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Godzillian wrote:So according to Matt Frank the Angurius would have been made with a giant mechanical puppet like the wolf in "An American Werewolf in London"
One of the books just scarcely touched on this, saying they debated using "models" as opposed to suits, but I never would've guessed that entailed puppets like that :o
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Godzillian wrote:So according to Matt Frank the Angurius would have been made with a giant mechanical puppet like the wolf in "An American Werewolf in London"
I guess that would explain the stance that may seem impossible for even a suit actor.

G1G4N_27
Yojimbo

Post by G1G4N_27 »

I would've preferred Angurius and Varan over Mothra and King Ghidorah. Even though Ghidorah and Mothra are some of my favorite characters, I would've liked to see some not-so popular monsters every once in a while. Varan has only had 1 major role and that was in his own movie. He was gonna have a bigger role DAM but his suit was deteriorating and Toho could only use a small immobile puppet. Angurius really hasn't had any major roles except in GRA. The other movies he was in Angurius was either a supporting or minor character.

Conclusion: Would've preferred GAV instead of GMK.
G1G4N_27
ImageImageImage

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

This may or mayn't be on topic, but as some people here may know, I'm planning a spin-off fanfic story about this specific Anguirus.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

For those interested here is a size comparison between Anguirus and Godzilla for this film. Anguirus would have been a rather massive beast in this one if he wasn't scrapped
Last edited by Godzillian on Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Godzillian wrote:[]https://i.imgur.com/GM9ePI8.jpg[/img]

For those interested here is a size comparison between Anguirus and Godzilla for this film. Anguirus would have been a rather massive beast in this one if he wasn't scrapped
A better look of that can be found on the main site ;) Baragon was meant to be exactly half Godzilla's height (~109cm tall suit to Godzilla's 217cm), so Anguirus would've stood about... 36 meters?
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

GigaBowserG wrote:Baragon was meant to be exactly half Godzilla's height (~109cm tall suit to Godzilla's 217cm), so Anguirus would've stood about... 36 meters?
Yeah, seems about right. And also apparently roughly 45 metres long.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

Anything to get Anguirus some more spotlight would have been good. Haven't seen the poor guy in so long except his joke beach volleyball cameo in FW.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I wish Angy would get more roles. He may not have any thrilling powers, but he has a great design.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

As much as I LOVE everything I hear about GAV, I really have to agree with a previous statement that the Golden Dragon/Giant Moth/Underground Dog Creature seem to fit better with cultural lore than two land-bound reptile-like creatures and one flying one. There just isn't enough diversity between Anguirus, Varan and Baragon as there is between Ghidorah, Mothra and Baragon.
That being said, I DO wish we could have maybe seen a sequel or something with this vision of Anguirus. Always curious about what could have been with this project.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.