Scrapped Monster Discussion: Anguirus (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Scrapped Monster Discussion: Anguirus (2001)

Post by Godzillian »

tbh I'd be fine if Baragon was dropped from the film and Anguirus was put in his place

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Godzillian wrote:tbh I'd be fine if Baragon was dropped from the film and Anguirus was put in his place
I second this. Would have been completely okay with this.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I feel like Baragon makes the movie feel more original, and adds to mixing things up like the changed King Ghidorah. I’m happy Baragon remained, and if it wasn’t him I’d still prefer Varan over him. Angurius has gotten enough love.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I feel like Baragon makes the movie feel more original, and adds to mixing things up like the changed King Ghidorah. I’m happy Baragon remained, and if it wasn’t him I’d still prefer Varan over him. Angurius has gotten enough love.
I think the only thing with Varan over Anguirus as a replacement for Baragon would be the flying aspect. Unless you have Varan totally grounded. Having one kaiju being an Earth-bound kaiju adds variety.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mothra flies in the movie, Ghidorah sorta just hovers. I think they were going for a really clear sort of elemental thing, and to remove Varan’s gliding ability would make him sort of redundant.

I dunno why, by Baragon’s design fits way better as a Gaurdian monster than Angurius. He reminds me of all those Japanese Buddhist Statues.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Mothra flies in the movie, Ghidorah sorta just hovers. I think they were going for a really clear sort of elemental thing, and to remove Varan’s gliding ability would make him sort of redundant.

I dunno why, by Baragon’s design fits way better as a Gaurdian monster than Angurius. He reminds me of all those Japanese Buddhist Statues.
I think you missed my point haha about Varan and the flying. Baragon and Anguirus are both kaiju with 0 flying ability. Having all three kaiju flying it doesn't really work especially when one is an Earth Guardian Monster. So, having a kaiju that is completely ground based, even a burrower, works better.

Granted, I agree completely I'd rather see Varan over Anguirus due to lack of Varan in films, I would think it's just a logistics thing. But I DO agree that Baragon has a resemblance to the statues you're referring to. I don't think Baragon was a bad pick.

Kenpachiro Hirata
Samurai

Post by Kenpachiro Hirata »

Varan over weak insectoid Mothra.
Anguirus over weak stupid lookin' Ghidorah.
"It started when man first stepped out of the garden of Eden and left his innocence behind."

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kenpachiro Hirata wrote:Varan over weak insectoid Mothra.
Anguirus over weak stupid lookin' Ghidorah.
???

You do realize Varan and Ghidorah would both be weak just the same in context of the movie?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Not to mention some of Ghidorah's looks were changed to look more like Varan. I've *never* understood why people rag on Ghidorah's looks SO much in GMK yet beg for Varan. It's hilarious to me. The only complaint I can understand is Ghidorah's height, which was CLEARLY done to make Godzilla all that more intimidating.

Kenpachiro Hirata
Samurai

Post by Kenpachiro Hirata »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:You do realize Varan and Ghidorah would both be weak just the same in context of the movie?
Way to miss the point, but whatever.
Maritonic wrote:I've *never* understood why people rag on Ghidorah's looks SO much in GMK.
Because he did look stupid. Tiny wings, short twirly necks, etc.
Not that the rest of suits in this film looked better, of course.
"It started when man first stepped out of the garden of Eden and left his innocence behind."

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Kenpachiro Hirata wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:You do realize Varan and Ghidorah would both be weak just the same in context of the movie?
Way to miss the point, but whatever.
Maritonic wrote:I've *never* understood why people rag on Ghidorah's looks SO much in GMK.
Because he did look stupid. Tiny wings, short twirly necks, etc.
Not that the rest of suits in this film looked better, of course.
Hmm. Agree to disagree. The only GMK design I didn't really love was Mothra's because I found she looked more like a bee instead of a moth, but even then I didn't hate it.

onerichman
Monsterland Worker

Post by onerichman »

Personally I would have rather seen Anguirus and Varan instead of Ghidorah and Mothra.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I really love that design of Anguirus. I wished they used it for Final Wars.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Why didn't he get included? I get why Mothra's there but Ghidorah is definitely the worst kaiju in the movie and using Angy would have been a way better choice.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Why didn't he get included? I get why Mothra's there but Ghidorah is definitely the worst kaiju in the movie and using Angy would have been a way better choice.
G2K and especially GXM had not been successful for Toho, and reports in early 2001 were that the president of the studio was not a Godzilla fan and wanted to end the series. Tomiyama, the producer in charge of Godzilla, brought Kaneko on board as a sort of Hail Mary. Toho accepted Kaneko’s pitch for the third Millennium film but requested that he change two of the monsters to Ghidorah and Mothra because they’d been deemed the most popular kaiju besides Godzilla. This was considered a lot safer than using obscure, unpopular, or new monsters (such as Orga and Megaguirus).

GMK was also the first of three Godzillas paired with a Hamtaro movie. That, too, was to boost ticket sales and prolong the series.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

After reading the treatment for this film, i gotta say i really like this version of Anguirus. Unique in his own special way with the golden color scheme and ice powers. Would've loved to see it be in an actual film.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!