Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs M (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs M (2001)

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Since I couldn't find a thread discussing such, I thought I might make one myself.

To place my own opinion on the storyline Shusuke Kaneko proposed, it seems pretty solid. The whole father-daughter relationship is interesting (Am I the only one who thinks that this was brought over the GMK the final product), and I would've loved to see what Kaneko's 'Republic of Japan' might look like. Also, I think his reason for dropping the idea seems a bit questionable; he apparently claimed his idea was too dark and depressing, but he didn't seemed to have any problem directing the incredibly grim Gamera 3 (mind you, 2 years earlier).

Anyways, those were my thoughts so far, what are yours? Feel free to express such in the comments below. Thank you.

Link below:
http://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_room ... _vs_m.html
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs M (2001)

Post by edgaguirus »

The daughter dying to save her father is a little bleak, but the alien transformation idea does sound interesting.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

edgaguirus wrote:The daughter dying to save her father is a little bleak, but the alien transformation idea does sound interesting.
Does it being bleak mean it could've been bad?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Of course not. The film, The Fly, is a somewhat sad film, but it's a very good one as well.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I also like the idea of an alternative future in the form of the "Republic of Japan", and I kind of wish they would've used that for GMK to make it more unique and stand out.
edgaguirus wrote:Of course not. The film, The Fly, is a somewhat sad film, but it's a very good one as well.
The original or the remake?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The original.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

What a coincidence - was doing some translations for this project today, and it turns out Godzilla 1998 was supposed to have a slightly~ more substantial play here.
GMK Super Complete Works wrote:* In 1954, Godzilla comes ashore and wrecks Japan. When he returns to the sea, he is killed by the "Oxygen Destroyer" developed by a certain researcher.

* There is a conference, and the theory that Mesozoic dinosaurs may have survived extinction and had their DNA altered due to nuclear testing, making them enormous. But as no corpses remain, not even of Godzilla, this theory remains just that.

* Only photographs and some film remains of Godzilla, but because they all were taken at night, his details aren't visible. Having an idea of what Godzilla truly is is left up more to the imagination.

... And after 50 years, the Japanese slowly forget the disaster Godzilla wrought.

* In 1998, a giant creature resembling Godzilla raids New York. The American government calls this creature "Godzilla". It is exterminated by the army.

* There is division whether this is the same monster that attacked Tokyo in 1954. Its morphology, its movement, etc. are markedly different from the recorded specimen from Japan.

* The fertility of this "Godzilla" is strong. Hundreds of its eggs hatch in a short time, but all the Baby Godzillas are all disposed of, and no eggs remain.

... But this rings a warning bell for humanity, that monsters like this could appear anywhere at any time.
...More or less.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

GigaBowserG wrote:
Spoiler:
What a coincidence - was doing some translations for this project today, and it turns out Godzilla 1998 was supposed to have a slightly~ more substantial play here.
GMK Super Complete Works wrote:* In 1954, Godzilla comes ashore and wrecks Japan. When he returns to the sea, he is killed by the "Oxygen Destroyer" developed by a certain researcher.

* There is a conference, and the theory that Mesozoic dinosaurs may have survived extinction and had their DNA altered due to nuclear testing, making them enormous. But as no corpses remain, not even of Godzilla, this theory remains just that.

* Only photographs and some film remains of Godzilla, but because they all were taken at night, his details aren't visible. Having an idea of what Godzilla truly is is left up more to the imagination.

... And after 50 years, the Japanese slowly forget the disaster Godzilla wrought.

* In 1998, a giant creature resembling Godzilla raids New York. The American government calls this creature "Godzilla". It is exterminated by the army.

* There is division whether this is the same monster that attacked Tokyo in 1954. Its morphology, its movement, etc. are markedly different from the recorded specimen from Japan.

* The fertility of this "Godzilla" is strong. Hundreds of its eggs hatch in a short time, but all the Baby Godzillas are all disposed of, and no eggs remain.

... But this rings a warning bell for humanity, that monsters like this could appear anywhere at any time.
...More or less.
Interesting, but it doesn't seem related to the M concept.

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

Would be an interesting movie but still like what we got with GMK

Godzilla2004fan
Samurai

Post by Godzilla2004fan »

I remember a photo by Toho Kingdom that I publish in Tumblr. Before calling this project "Godzilla vs. M" it was refered as "Godzilla vs. Uchuujin".

Image maded by Toho Kingdom:
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Godzilla2004fan wrote:I remember a photo by Toho Kingdom that I publish in Tumblr. Before calling this project "Godzilla vs. M" it was refered as "Godzilla vs. Uchuujin".

Image maded by Toho Kingdom:
It's quite nostalgic to look at that image.

Yeah this is one of the more strange but serious ideas for a Godzilla film, I'm much more happy we got GMK because I'm quite 50/50 on this one.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Idk, always seemed weird to me because there's an Ultraman episode exactly like this.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Stump Feet wrote:Idk, always seemed weird to me because there's an Ultraman episode exactly like this.
I agree, I think they were purposely gonna use it as inspiration because there's no way it's just a coincidence.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Really loved this idea, a shame it never got made. We got GMK though so can't complain too much. The idea of the guy slowly turning into a kaiju sounds like a great idea

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Not gonna lie, while the project itself sounds nice..it also sounds like Toho would be begging Tsuburaya to sue them to high hell if it went through because M is pretty much just Jamila 2.0.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Overall this was a very intriguing concept and i'm kind of bummed it wasn't made. One aspect that particularly intrigues me is the alternate history angle. How did Japan become a republic and retain a large military post-WW2? Did the war go differently in this world, or did it happen at all? Was the monarchy abolished peacefully, or overthrown somehow? How would this have ultimately affected the plot?
GigaBowserG wrote:What a coincidence - was doing some translations for this project today, and it turns out Godzilla 1998 was supposed to have a slightly~ more substantial play here.

...More or less.
It's certainly interesting that Kaneko wanted to so explicitly incorporate G'98 into his canon from relatively early on. I wouldn't have minded something like this at all, it's certainly better-handled than it was in Final Wars.
tyrantgoji wrote:Not gonna lie, while the project itself sounds nice..it also sounds like Toho would be begging Tsuburaya to sue them to high hell if it went through because M is pretty much just Jamila 2.0.
Stump Feet wrote:Idk, always seemed weird to me because there's an Ultraman episode exactly like this.
While there are certainly similarities and it's almost certain Kaneko was inspired by Jamila, Ultraman doesn't really have a monopoly on the "astronaut turns into alien monster" concept. Off the top of my head both The Quartermass Experiment and an episode of The Outer Limits did similar stories before Tsuburaya did
edgaguirus wrote:The original.
Interesting. Most people, myself included, tend to consider the '86 remake superior to the original '58 film. Not saying you're wrong, just not the usual opinion I see.
The remake is definitely a sad film, the ending is absolutely heart-wrenching
Last edited by G2000 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Always wondered what this Mutant human haiku would look like?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I wonder if Kaneko is a Japanese republican.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:26 pm ^I wonder if Kaneko is a Japanese republican.
Just assuming but I feel like he wouldn't depict a high-tech militarized 'Republic of Japan' in a positive light. It's toned down in the final film (Satsuma/D-03 over Gotengo/Masers) but the JSDF taking credit for Godzilla's defeat with the Oxygen Destroyer covered up is shown to have negative consequences.
Last edited by tbeasley on Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

While I'm quite content with GMK and what it is, this idea is still very intriguing and serious and would have been tonally different from what had been in the Millennium series at that point.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.