Monster Discussion: King Ghidorah 2001

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Re: Monster Discussion: King Ghidorah 2001

Post by SonOfGorgo »

King of the Monsters wrote:The Japanese dialogue even specifically says "King Ghidorah was known as Yamata no Orochi." The dub changes this to just "eight-headed dragon" I believe.
Okay. Which scene is that again?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

I think it's the scene where Yuri, Takeda and the cameraman guy are in the forest and talking about Ghidorah. Takeda can clearly be heard saying "Yamata no Orochi" during this scene.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

King of the Monsters wrote:I think it's the scene where Yuri, Takeda and the cameraman guy are in the forest and talking about Ghidorah. Takeda can clearly be heard saying "Yamata no Orochi" during this scene.
Right. To be fair, I shouldn't put off since Ghidorah was basically inspired by the Orochi of Japanese mythology/folklore.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I know this is a little off topic, but it seems most cultures have a story about a multi headed serpent or serpent like creature. The Greeks have the Hydra; Japan has Orochi; and an African tale features a two headed snake.

There's no need to discuss. Just a thought that came to me.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

So wait, is Ghidorah some sort of a reincarnation of the eight-headed Yamata no Orochi?
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

The implication I got from the movie was that King Ghidorah was Yamata no Orochi, and after being slain was laid to rest under the Aokigahara, with the belief that he would regenerate and rise again in several thousand years to defend Japan, much like Baragon and Mothra. He was awakened earlier than intended, and so had only grown back three of his eight heads. If that's the case though I still don't understand why the supposedly ancient painting of him only depicts him with three heads (it also depicts him with forelimbs in addition to his wings).
Last edited by King of the Monsters on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.