Which millennium film had the most Showa feel to it?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Which millennium film had the most Showa feel to it?

Godzilla 2000
17%
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
16%
GMK Giant Monster All Out Attack
17%
Godzilla X Mechagodzilla
3%
Godzilla Tokyo SOS
5%
Godzilla Final Wars
42%

Total votes: 95

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Re: Which millennium film had the most Showa feel to it?

Post by latinothor »

Godzilla Final Wars had a good mixture of elements from the 60’s Showa films and the 70’s Champion festival films.
The main plot is Alien invasion which is (Golden Showa)
Mind Controlled Kaiju (Golden Showa)
Kaiju are the secondary plot which is again (Golden Showa)
Fighting was Pro Wrestling which is (Champion Showa),
Kaiju scenes are shorter which is more like the (Golden Showa).
However Godzilla is in his anti hero role (Heisei), with a kind of change of heart at the end, more then straight up villain (Early Showa) or Earth Protector (Golden Showa)

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I voted for G2K. Well the American dub at least. The added bits of camp in the dub help in that regard. Hell I think the Tezuka films pretty much define the Millennium era feel, boring and half-assed.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Why am I not surprised GFW has the most votes here? Just because it had forced Showa tropes does not mean it had the most Showa tone :facepalm:

Godzilla 2000 obviously had the most Showa feel to it, really a no-brainer here..

Added in 4 minutes 57 seconds:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Definitely not Final Wars, outside of superficial similarities like aliens and world organizations, it feels nothing like a Showa film.
Thank you, I started to lose a lot of hope for this thread, glad someone can tell the difference.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

PitchBlackProgress wrote::Godzilla 2000 obviously had the most Showa feel to it, really a no-brainer here...
I really want to understand why you think Godzilla 2000 is a no-brainer. I do agree that the American cut and dub does have the charm of many of the old Titra/Titan dubs that Peter Fernandez use to do.

But other then that it pretty much has all the tropes of a Heisei movie.
  • Love of attacking nuclear power (seen in early Heisei)
    Godzilla as a territorial anti-hero, he holds a grudge and wants payback
    Godzilla as underdog; Ogra gets bigger and meaner and even wants to eat him
    G-Cells as a plot device
    A military branch dedicated to fighting Godzilla
    Kaiju opponent that changes form during the movie; Starship, then strange alien, then Ogra
Really the only thing missing was having the young girl have a ESP connection to Godzilla.
To me the movie is Godzilla Vs Biollante with an alien instead of a Rose-Godzilla.
The alien even uses powerlines and cables to grapple Godzilla like Biollante did with her vines.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Tropes do not equal tone...
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Tropes, tone, pacing, all things that make up the "Feel".
The movie was also directed by the same man that directed most of the Heisei films, his tone is still the same.The dub is the only thing that changes the tone at all. The movie could have been Godzilla Jr from the Heisei turned into more of a jerk like his father was, dying and coming back can do that.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I would have to agree that FW was not at all Showa in tone; for me, G2000 wasn't particularly, either. It did have a few stylistic elements in common with Heisei, to me- enough to make it a plausible extension of Junior's adventures in my headcanon (even though the world-building doesn't really match; it could only, at best, be a spiritual sequel)... but I don't feel like 2000 had a showa or heisei fell to it. That's part of why I loved it- it felt like something new.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I'd have to go with Godzilla 2000 simply because of the dub alone. None of the others really have any kind of Showa feel to them at all, in my opinion. Godzilla 2000, to me, feels like a perfect combination of aspects from each era of the franchise. I think that's why I love that film so much.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Dr. Professor wrote:I'd have to go with Godzilla 2000 simply because of the dub alone. None of the others really have any kind of Showa feel to them at all, in my opinion. Godzilla 2000, to me, feels like a perfect combination of aspects from each era of the franchise. I think that's why I love that film so much.
Couldn't agree more. IMO, G2K's dub is the best in the entire series, with G84's coming in lose second.
#slatternking

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

For the people that have voted for Godzilla 2000, if you watch the Japanese cut of the film with subtitles does it still retain the Showa feel to you? Or is the dub cut the only version you watch?

Just curious if there is anything else about the film that gives it a Showa mood, any elements that was a call back to the older films?

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

szmigiel wrote:any elements that was a call back to the older films?
Holy hell... It doesn't HAVE to have call backs to give off those creamy Showa vibes...
#slatternking

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Holy hell... It doesn't HAVE to have call backs to give off those creamy Showa vibes...
I am just seeing if someone can go a little more in depth about what they think gives Godzilla 2000 so much of a Showa feel.
Earlier in the thread you said....
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Godzilla 2000 obviously had the most Showa feel to it, really a no-brainer here..
I figured if it was such a no-brainer you would be able to give a few sentences of why that is.

I originally started the pull because many people where talking about how the Showa era kept showing up in the Millennium films. Whether it was call backs, elements from, storytelling style, etc.... in allot of the movie threads with some people saying the film had a Showa feel and others not really seeing it. So I was curious to see if put to a vote where people votes will fall.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I always felt G2K tried too hard to be a Heisei film than a Showa one.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

There's definitely a Heisei quality to G2K as pointed out but it's not as overt in the sense that there's an anti-Godzilla military group, people in uniforms, super weapons and mecha, etc. (like in Megaguirus). There's a smaller real world tone in G2K with the Godzilla research team being this ragtag group of misfits, brining to mind the reporter-photographer-scientist trios of a lot of the early Honda films.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Early Heisei films still had that type of characters in them, RoG, GvB, and GvKG all had a more real world tune and characters with story arcs of their own. Things started to change with GvM, when they started pushing the films out every year, and the characters became much more one dimensional. GvSG tried to bring back more character focus, but this just caused the story to be more of a mess in the end.

G1G4N_27
Yojimbo

Post by G1G4N_27 »

GFW feels like DAM, but with some monsters before and after DAM. GFW had the cookie cutter Showa plot of aliens invading Earth (I am not saying that plot is bad, but it's just overused). The only thing I feel GFW is different from a Showa film is that I feel it's a darker film.
G1G4N_27
ImageImageImage

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

GMK, definitely. Put some film grain on that sucker and some cheaper suits and it would fit right in.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Ivo-goji wrote:None of them honestly.

Not in any of the ways I find the Showa series distinctive.
You know what, I'll change my answer:

Godzilla X Megaguirus is the most Showa like Millennium film

Because you can see the wires.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Godzilla 2000 stands out as the most Showa-esque, but not because of its plot beats or themes (its about the digital world and DNA, as far from Showa as you can get, really). No, what makes it so quintessentially Showa are the visuals. The image has this dirty, grainy look to it, the likes of which is also apparent in Biollante and King Ghidorah, but ultimately defines the Showa films. There’s a big focus on earthy textures, from the muddy prologue to the close-ups of Godzilla’s tail breaking apart the waterfront and getting smeared with dirt. The destruction scenes also have this dusty motif going on. You also have that scene with the tanks out in the dirt, again calling back to so many daytime Showa artillary scenes. Then you have the scenes with Shinoda’s flimsy house, the rice being cooked, the thin, wooden walls. Later we get a lot of industrial visuals, clearly reminiscent of late-Showa locales. Finally, the injuries sustained by our human protagonist as he escapes the tower are raw and cringe-inducing on a level most commonly seen in the Showa era.

It’s a very stark contrast to the cleaner look of post-Ghidorah Heisei and post-GMK Millennium.
Last edited by LockBite on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

I say Godzilla vs Megaguirus. Because the Godzilla body slam is similar to the tail slide kick and Godzilla flying.
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.