Ranking the Mechagodzilla Films - the Sequel!

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Which do you prefer?

Godzilla X Mechagodzilla
71%
Godzilla: Tokyo SOS
29%

Total votes: 38

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: Ranking the Mechagodzilla Films - the Sequel!

Post by tbeasley »

I feel they make up for the other's faults in a way so I can't choose. Against Mecha-G has a better human story and I don't know why those characters weren't carried over for the sequel and explored more... meanwhile Tokyo SOS gets to jump to the monster action much faster thanks to established world building (minus the new Mothra elements). The only problem is the human drama is largely a repeat with Kiryu being knocked over during the final battle again with someone sent in to repair him.

But both films have such great openings and scores, with SOS having some of the best effects in the series. I've warmed up to both over time.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

No-contest vote for Against Mechagodzilla, but both are among my least favorite entries in the entire series.
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:SOS but just barely. They are both two of my least favorite (as well as most boring and lifeless) films in the whole series. Right down at the very bottom with G14 and Megaguirus. While I strongly dislike GxMG and Megaguirus, SOS I'm just pretty indifferent towards. I don't really dislike it per say but its not all that great or memorable either.
You take that back about Megaguirus right now.
Last edited by Rodan on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Rodan wrote:No-contest vote for Against Mechagodzilla, but both are among my least favorite entries in the entire series.
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:SOS but just barely. They are both two of my least favorite (as well as most boring and lifeless) films in the whole series. Right down at the very bottom with G14 and Megaguirus. While I strongly dislike GxMG and Megaguirus, SOS I'm just pretty indifferent towards. I don't really dislike it per say but its not all that great or memorable either.
You take that back about Megaguirus right now.
You take that back about G14 right now.
Last edited by Zarm on Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Zarm wrote:You take that back about G14 right now.
Take the five hours of my life I've spent watching wooden actors and less-than-half-drawn characters deliver ludicrously deadpan and expository dialogue in G14 back right now. Please.
Last edited by Rodan on Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Rodan wrote:
Take the five hours of my life I've spent watching wooden actors and less-than-half-drawn characters deliver ludicrously deadpan and expository dialogue in G14 back right now. Please.
Take the hour-and-a-half of my life I've spent watching wooden actors and idiotic plotting atop cartoon physics and sloppily inept filmmaking in Megaguirus back right now. Please.
Last edited by Zarm on Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:
Rodan wrote:
Take the hour-and-a-half of my life I've spent watching wooden actors and idiotic plotting atop cartoon physics and sloppily inept filmmaking in Megaguirus back right now. Please.
I neither love nor hate either of those movies. They're both pretty uneven, with moments that pull me in (in very different ways) and stretches where I usually tune out completely. I like how both movies start out, and I enjoy the monster action in both, but neither one features my favorite characters or plotting.

Now, Tokyo SOS? That's a movie I might just say that I hate, except that I usually tune out so much of it that it loses the power to offend me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:Now, Tokyo SOS? That's a movie I might just say that I hate, except that I usually tune out so much of it that it loses the power to offend me.
I know, right? It's just kind of... nothing, until the last few minutes. Like I'm not sure where the actual runtime goes, somehow, because it doesn't seem to account for the actual amount of time expended.

Maranatha!

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Zarm wrote:
Rodan wrote:
"Let us fight."

There are very few Godzilla movies I'd say I dislike more than like, but both Tokyo SOS and '14 are on there. It's hard for me to rank them beyond saying '14 is a vastly more competent movie.

x Mechagodzilla lies probably just one rung above; it has interesting ideas, but everything about it is super half-baked. It might have one of the worst conception-to-execution ratios in the series.
eabaker wrote:Now, Tokyo SOS? That's a movie I might just say that I hate, except that I usually tune out so much of it that it loses the power to offend me.
Weirdly, this is how I feel too, which is the only reason it even has a chance of shaking out higher than my other disliked entries ('14, DaM, '98, SpaceGodzilla, maybe one or two others) when I think about how I'd rank the series. It's a gigantic bland blur instead of being actively frustrating, but I can't decide if that makes it better or worse.
Last edited by Rodan on Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

Gotta go with Godzilla x Mechagodzilla/Against Mechagodzilla (which ever you prefer) Mostly because it's one of my personal favorites. don't get me wrong, s.o.S is great too though.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I really strongly dislike both for reasons that can be summed up by two phrases; "bland" and "overused trope".

However, I guess I'd go with the first of the series. TSOS is just a bloated episode of a what ought to be TV show, right down to looking like one.
Last edited by Mechagigan on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

All of Tezuka's Godzilla films look like bloated TV episodes.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983