The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

What is your opinion of the Godzilla: Final Wars movie.

Great Movie! Love it, Very Entertaining
28%
Like it. Decent Movie, has its flaws but still watchable
44%
Neither Good nor Bad
6%
Dislike it. Bad movie
16%
Terrible movie, Hate it, unwatchable
7%

Total votes: 153

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Post by szmigiel »

You know for a movie that at one time was suppose to be universally hated by the fanbase, it doesn't seem to be that way anymore.

I doubt the fanbase would ever agree on what is a good Showa tribute and what isn't. There will always be a group of fans that will disagree.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

szmigiel wrote:You know for a movie that at one time was suppose to be universally hated by the fanbase, it doesn't seem to be that way anymore.

I doubt the fanbase would ever agree on what is a good Showa tribute and what isn't. There will always be a group of fans that will disagree.
Throwing in a bunch of Showa era nods does not equal a Showa Tribute in my books. The movie was essentially kung-fu fighting with some heavy showa winks here and there. If they were handled better, I wouldn't say anything
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

As a fun popcorn flick I suppose its okay but it still honestly shouldn't of been made especially since its very insulting towards Hedorah, having arguably Godzilla's most powerful foe in the Showa series alongside Mechagodzilla get one-shotted. That's probably the only thing that craws at my core, that and the short fights rather than having Godzilla keep bulldozing through every monster he comes across because "He's the King!" as well as Godzilla's hideous rat face.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Throwing in a bunch of Showa era nods does not equal a Showa Tribute in my books.
If anything, it feels to me like Kitamura is making fun of the Showa era.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

I believe that some of the fan base of our beloved Godzilla might have a point that the battles (except the final one) were too short. However, some might not realize the monsters are only cameos in the movie, they don't play an integral part in the film. It is assumed the battles are long (except for the Zilla battle). How long are the battles taking place in the movie are supposed to be? That's left to our imagination. These cameos are only in favor of the fan base, nothing more. Would the film be better without the monsters cameos? No, I don't think so.

Added in 1 minute 25 seconds:
I assume the battle against Hedora particularly, took at least a few hours.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

eabaker wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:Throwing in a bunch of Showa era nods does not equal a Showa Tribute in my books.
I
AGREE
100%

It doesn't feel Showa at all to me in any way, even when the nods pop up, like Gorath, and the like, it just feels like I'm watching a bad fan fic boil down before my eye

I'll probably get some flak for saying this, but I thought Godzilla 2000 was a better Showa tribute than Final Wars was.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
eabaker wrote:
I
AGREE
100%

It doesn't feel Showa at all to me in any way, even when the nods pop up, like Gorath, and the like, it just feels like I'm watching a bad fan fic boil down before my eye

I'll probably get some flak for saying this, but I thought Godzilla 2000 was a better Showa tribute than Final Wars was.
You probably won't since G:FW still has a fair amount of detractors on here, and I'll agree that G2K captured the Showa-era spirit better.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

G2K is really the only Millennium film I can stomach because of it. I think GFW was doomed when the director was chosen

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

Lain Of The Wired wrote: I think GFW was doomed when the director was chosen
Kitamura was at the top of his game as director in the Japanese scene. In my humble opinion, his genius shows in the film, Toho went above and beyond into getting the best of the best for this film.Personally, I am more than extremely satisfied with the final product. We respectfully agree to disagree.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Many of the films distractors tend to blame the director for every aspect they don't like. But the films screen play was pretty much complete when he was signed on to direct.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

szmigiel wrote:Many of the films distractors tend to blame the director for every aspect they don't like. But the films screen play was pretty much complete when he was signed on to direct.
While I have problems with the script, it's the tone generated by the performances, the camera technique and the rhythm of the editing that I find most off-putting; the same seems to be true for a lot of people. And those elements are very consistent with other Kitamura works. That said, Kitamura's style was established well before GFW, so Toho got exactly what they were paying for.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's an alright movie, but not one I'd watch on a regular basis.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Eh, I mean in the end this film is not meant to be taken too seriously. I can understand that for those who didn't like it, it would be frustrating to see as the 50th anniversary film. But if it was just part of a regular cycle of films, it wouldn't be a big deal (but probably still stand out for its sheer craziness).

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

eabaker wrote:While I have problems with the script, it's the tone generated by the performances, the camera technique and the rhythm of the editing that I find most off-putting; the same seems to be true for a lot of people. And those elements are very consistent with other Kitamura works. That said, Kitamura's style was established well before GFW, so Toho got exactly what they were paying for.
Kitamura’s fingerprints are definitely all over the movie, and that is one of the reasons I enjoy it. If it was directed by someone else the basic story would still be the same. Captain Gordon would probably have been played by a veteran Japanese actor, but remain mostly the same. Godzilla would have been under ice for the first half of the film, he would still have run the gauntlet of monsters on the way to Tokyo. Would the fights been longer? Maybe a little, but probably not by much. Not sure when Yoji Shinkawa was hired to do the art, whether it was Kitamura or not. if it was the producer then the look of the film would still pretty much be the same.
KaijuCanuck wrote:Eh, I mean in the end this film is not meant to be taken too seriously. I can understand that for those who didn't like it, it would be frustrating to see as the 50th anniversary film. But if it was just part of a regular cycle of films, it wouldn't be a big deal (but probably still stand out for its sheer craziness).
The film was written to be more of a 50th anniversary of Toho Sci-fi, and mostly the golden age of the 60's, but advertised as a 50th anniversary of Godzilla. That blame goes to Shogo Tomiyama and Wataru Mimura. At first it did bother me, but since I am a fan of many of Toho's other films I soon started to enjoy it more.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

One thing that bothers me about GFW - did those chill guys at the Antarctica base have to die? I wanted to hang out with those guys.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

KaijuCanuck wrote:One thing that bothers me about GFW - did those chill guys at the Antarctica base have to die? I wanted to hang out with those guys.
You mean The Rock and Shaq, hell no theyre better off dead

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

KaijuCanuck wrote:One thing that bothers me about GFW - did those chill guys at the Antarctica base have to die? I wanted to hang out with those guys.
Those two are legendary kickboxing legends Ray sefo and Gylbert Yvel.

And yes, it seemed like they had a great job guarding the King, listening to some good old school Jazz (Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla), a real espresso machine and temperature warm enough to be walking around in base in shorts. I wish they didn't die either, but this is one pissed off Godzilla in the film.

Added in 5 minutes 58 seconds:
Kitamura’s fingerprints are definitely all over the movie, and that is one of the reasons I enjoy it. If it was directed by someone else the basic story would still be the same. Captain Gordon would probably have been played by a veteran Japanese actor, but remain mostly the same. Godzilla would have been under ice for the first half of the film, he would still have run the gauntlet of monsters on the way to Tokyo. Would the fights been longer? Maybe a little, but probably not by much. Not sure when Yoji Shinkawa was hired to do the art, whether it was Kitamura or not. if it was the producer then the look of the film would still pretty much be the same.

The film was written to be more of a 50th anniversary of Toho Sci-fi, and mostly the golden age of the 60's, but advertised as a 50th anniversary of Godzilla. That blame goes to Shogo Tomiyama and Wataru Mimura. At first it did bother me, but since I am a fan of many of Toho's other films I soon started to enjoy it more.
That is correct, Godzilla: Final Wars is a celebration of everything Toho (The good, the ugly and the bad) but with a modern touch.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Way to fail at it

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

To me, this movie represents everything we love about Godzilla. The cheesiness of the 70's, the ferocity of the Showa & Heisei eras, a grand scale similar to DESTROY ALL MONSTERS, and fun characters, especially Captain Gordon, my favorite character. This movie is LIT!!! :D
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I didn't care for this movie at first. But as I watched it over again and saw that it was an homage to the Showa area that I began to enjoy it more. It has really grown in me to where I do love it.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/