Would you give up GXM, Tokyo SOS, and GFW for GVA?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Would you give up GXM, Tokyo SOS, and GFW for GVA?

Post by Godzillian »

So if we got Godzilla, Varan, Anguirus: Giant Monsters All Out it we likely wouldn't have got the last 3 Millenium series films. Would you trade those three films for the original idea of Varan, Anguirus, and Baragon for what became GMK?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Would you give up GXM, Tokyo SOS, and GFW for GVA?

Post by eabaker »

Godzillian wrote:So if we got Godzilla, Varan, Anguirus: Giant Monsters All Out it we likely wouldn't have got the last 3 Millenium series films. Would you trade those three films for the original idea of Varan, Anguirus, and Baragon for what became GMK?
I'd give up those three movies even if we didn't get anything in return.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I'd give up Tokyo S.O.S. in a heartbeat. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, though- I would put that in the top 5 Godzilla films ever made (well, maybe top 7, I'd have to think through the list carefully). ;) And while I'd consider giving up GFW if the prize was high enough, I don't think a variation on the GMK formula would be enough of a prize for that. Even if it was, though, on the strength of Against Mechagodzilla (not liking that film is as incomprehensible to me as not like A New Hope or The Avengers), I would not make the trade.

Now, if it were vs. Megaguirus, Tokyo S.O.S., and Final Wars, then you'd have yourself a deal, partner. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

Godzillian wrote:So if we got Godzilla, Varan, Anguirus: Giant Monsters All Out it we likely wouldn't have got the last 3 Millenium series films. Would you trade those three films for the original idea of Varan, Anguirus, and Baragon for what became GMK?
Not a chance.

I hate to be harsh, but I don't see what's so damn special about Varan and Anguirus. They're neat Kaiju, but I really don't see why people are butthurt that they didn't appear in GMK. What would it have added? I seriously can think of a SINGLE benefit of replacing Mothra and Ghidorah with Varan and Anguirus, aside from appeasing a small group of people who care about them.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:Against Mechagodzilla (not liking that film is as incomprehensible to me as not like A New Hope or The Avengers)
While it's grown on me a little since the first time I forced myself to stay awake through it, to the point that I now kinda like parts of it and can at least recognize why others might find it entertaining, I also feel like its shortcomings are clear enough that it shouldn't be too shocking that it's not on everybody's favorites list.

I ultimately find Megaguirus to be the strongest of Tezuka's films, thanks to a few scenes with some good atmosphere and an occasional willingness to just go unapologetically over-the-top.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:Against Mechagodzilla (not liking that film is as incomprehensible to me as not like A New Hope or The Avengers)
While it's grown on me a little since the first time I forced myself to stay awake through it, to the point that I now kinda like parts of it and can at least recognize why others might find it entertaining, I also feel like its shortcomings are clear enough that it shouldn't be too shocking that it's not on everybody's favorites list.

I ultimately find Megaguirus to be the strongest of Tezuka's films, thanks to a few scenes with some good atmosphere and an occasional willingness to just go unapologetically over-the-top.
I suppose that's the issue for me- I don't clearly see any major shortcomings (whereas I literally don't see any redeeming qualities in vs. Megaguirus whatsoever). Of course, they are essentially the same story; I just find Against Mechagodzilla to be a redemption of a good premise from a flawed execution. (Again, to my personal tastes).

What, for you, are the flaws of Against Mechagodzilla? (And the areas that vs. Megaguirus executes things better?)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:
eabaker wrote:

I suppose that's the issue for me- I don't clearly see any major shortcomings (whereas I literally don't see any redeeming qualities in vs. Megaguirus whatsoever). Of course, they are essentially the same story; I just find Against Mechagodzilla to be a redemption of a good premise from a flawed execution. (Again, to my personal tastes).

What, for you, are the flaws of Against Mechagodzilla?
It's dramatically flat. The characters (both human and monster) have their backstories and motivations stated at great length, but for the most part don't demonstrate those motivations meaningfully through action. Godzilla himself is less of a character than in almost any other movie in the series, and this script problem is exacerbated by the particularly stiff and plastic seeming suit. The plot structure is awkward, with no sense of a proper third act/climax, and some key events just kind of happening without sufficient setup or foreshadowing. The cinematography in both human and monster scenes is bland.

Most if not all of these statements also apply to Megaguirus, I admit, but I feel like that movie makes up for it with livelier performances, and overall more of a sense of fun. And all of these flaws become exaggerated in Tokyo S.O.S. to the point that I find it almost unwatchable. As I said, none of this ruins Against Mechagodzilla for me the way it did on my first two or three viewings.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I thought about it at work today and saw it was trading 2 mediocre and one bad film for 1 great kaiju film

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

NO!! Mainly because GXM and Tokyo SOS are in my top 10. I like GMK as how it is, good message and a nice change of pace with Godzilla and King Ghidorah.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzillian wrote:I thought about it at work today and saw it was trading 2 mediocre and one bad film for 1 great kaiju film
As much as I would have preferred to see Varan and Angilas in there, ultimately I'm not sure that they would have made the movie significantly more great than it already is.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Hell yes.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote: It's dramatically flat. The characters (both human and monster) have their backstories and motivations stated at great length, but for the most part don't demonstrate those motivations meaningfully through action. Godzilla himself is less of a character than in almost any other movie in the series, and this script problem is exacerbated by the particularly stiff and plastic seeming suit. The plot structure is awkward, with no sense of a proper third act/climax, and some key events just kind of happening without sufficient setup or foreshadowing. The cinematography in both human and monster scenes is bland.

Most if not all of these statements also apply to Megaguirus, I admit, but I feel like that movie makes up for it with livelier performances, and overall more of a sense of fun. And all of these flaws become exaggerated in Tokyo S.O.S. to the point that I find it almost unwatchable. As I said, none of this ruins Against Mechagodzilla for me the way it did on my first two or three viewings.
Huh. Well, I'd never really seen those to be the case, but in retrospect, I guess I can see those issues (save perhaps 'dramatically flat'). For me, the concepts at play, score, and performers overcome that to the point that I'd never really noticed those issues.

And I agree 100% about Tokyo S.O.S. :)

Maranatha!

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Godzillian wrote:So if we got Godzilla, Varan, Anguirus: Giant Monsters All Out it we likely wouldn't have got the last 3 Millenium series films.
Is that so? I would assume that GBAV would do well enough to fund GxM.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Cybermat47 wrote:
Godzillian wrote:So if we got Godzilla, Varan, Anguirus: Giant Monsters All Out it we likely wouldn't have got the last 3 Millenium series films.
Is that so? I would assume that GBAV would do well enough to fund GxM.
Toho put in Mothra and Ghidorah to attract people with their big names. Take those away and you lose that appeal. It's possible the film would have flopped even with it being paired with a Hamtaro film

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

No.

While it would've been nice to see Varan again and Angurius a few years early, what exactly would've changed about the movie? Honestly, GVA would've been practically the same film as what we got in GMK, so I don't see what the attraction to it is other than a neat "What If".

Especially considering that, in either case, we're probably not getting a sequel to GVA any moreso than we did GMK. You'd be trading the three following films we'd gotten for three(?) random new films.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

No. I would've loved to have seen Anguirus and Varan keep their roles (sometimes it's distracting watching bits of the movie and imagining how those two would've worked in the film), but it's that whole butterfly effect. While I couldn't care less about Against Mechagodzilla, Tokyo SOS, or GFW, I really like 2014 Godzilla and Shin, and the current MonsterVerse being built up by WB/Legendary. Kiryu's also a pretty great incarnation for a new Mechagodzilla, and the Tokyo SOS Mothra is an amazing design. Would all this have come about if Varan and Anguirus remained? I don't feel it'd be worth the trade to find out.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Even though Godzilla Final Wars is one of my favorites and would hate to loose it. I would if it would mean that Kaneko got to make the film he originally wanted to make, with full support from Toho, and 2 years to compete the film. Also no co-release with Hamtaro, I have nothing against Hamtaro just the audience it is made for is younger then the audience that Kaneko is aiming his Godzilla film at.

The extra time could not only help with hammering out the script a bit more, more time to profect the suits, and more time in post production. I always felt that the later Heisei, and Millennium, films suffered from the rush production time of just a handful of months to go from concept to screen.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'd give up GFW easily, but not the other two. While I'd love to see Anguirus get some love with GVA, I'll keep the three films we got.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

No, I wouldn't. I wouldn't eliminate any Godzilla film in existence. GVA was a very cool idea, certainly, but not enough to warrant completely getting rid of the other aforementioned films.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

I feel like eliminating any bad movies in this franchise would take away like, five good ones.