Godzilla final wars rat face?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla final wars rat face?

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:Considering the Heisei version was an extremely stiff puppet, I'd say that's pretty accurate IMO.
The puppet didn't move that well, but it still has a great looking sculpt and coloring.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

eabaker wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Considering the Heisei version was an extremely stiff puppet, I'd say that's pretty accurate IMO.
The puppet didn't move that well, but it still has a great looking sculpt and coloring.
Can't argue with that. I kinda like the GFW design of Rodan, I think my only complaints would be the proportions (too human-like) and the neck being a tad too long.

Anyway, GFW Godzilla's face: it sucks. The eyes are super sunken in and the snout is way too thin.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Still wish they had gone with the other design for Godzilla they had in concept art, yeah I know I'm one of the few weirdos who likes it and everyone else finds it tacky. Personally I don't find it anymore radical of a design than Shin (actually less so) but seems like a lot of people were still disappointed with the design we did get. Personally the one we got looks just like a slimmed down Heisei Goji to me.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

eabaker wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Yeah, I've never understood all the praise this Rodan gets, when it is by far the most anthropoid version.
I didn't know it received any praise at all...
A lot of people seem to regard it as the best or second-best version of the character.
Hmm, I still like ol’ droop beak 1965-1968.
But 1964 is obviously the second best, 56 being the first
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

The old Guy-Gun reminds me of a rubber chicken. I do love the colors though.

No contest between the old Guy-Gun and Final Wars Guy-Gun

Added in 3 minutes 43 seconds:
eabaker wrote:

Yeah, I've never understood all the praise this Rodan gets, when it is by far the most anthropoid version
What's wrong with an anthropoid Kaiju? This is common among Kaijus even from other series. An anthropoid version would have been better than a pear-shaped Godzilla like in Shin Bureaucracy Gojira.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I can only speak for myself- but generally, the more naturalistic saurian origins for a number of these kaiju make an anthropoid design less desirable. It's an accepted trope of toku TV series; and heck, when Rita Repulsa/Bandora animated a clay monster, who's to say it doesn't look like a humanoid version of an inanimate object?

But the Godzilla series doesn't sell its creatures that way; it sells them as naturalistic creature, mutated by radiation. For me, that's why a showa Godzilla will never be among my favorite designs; all I can see is a guy in a costume. Whereas the altered proportions of later designs allow me to better suspend my disbelief and see a bipedal creature instead of a simple man in a suit.

That said, I think part of the objection with Rodan is that it is not only a kaiju with origins that shouldn't reflect a human design, but a pterodon design... but also that it is a kaiju whose design was not humanoid in the past- thus introducing that element, when the backstory doesn't call for it, is different than, say, having a humanoid design for King Caesar, who already sort of had one to begin with.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

Most of the scenes in the movie, Radon is flying and both the design and the beautiful movements seems pretty kick ass.