Godzilla final wars rat face?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Kinggoji1962
Monarch Researcher

Godzilla final wars rat face?

Post by Kinggoji1962 »

Why do people (mostly on this forum) say this suit has a rat face? It's one of my favorite suits.

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Godzilla final wars rat face?

Post by Spuro »

Same batshit logic that causes people to compare Gigan to a chicken. :P
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Godzilla Mothra
Yojimbo

Post by Godzilla Mothra »

Probably because of the teeth. It may not be my favorite, but it's not a bad suit.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

I honestly never got why the FinalGoji suit's detractors used "rat face" as an insult. Rats have cute faces!

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

Final Wars Godzilla's face looks more like a feline, with very much alike feline gestures.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I kind of saw the "rat face," but it's not nearly as noticeable or bad as people make it out to be. I'm actually a huge fan of FinalGoji's design, and I think his face is way cool.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

latinothor wrote:Final Wars Godzilla's face looks more like a feline, with very much alike feline gestures.
Godzila has had feline-like features since the 1989 design.
I believe people says he looks like a rat since this design has a slimmed down face.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

The facial features honestly remind me more of those found on a Virginia opossum or a Tasmanian devil:

Rats don't have sharp teeth and a pair of prominent canines / fangs like FinalGoji.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

Honestly, the only apt criticism of its head I've ever seen is saying it looks like a duck, because it kinda does in profile. Well, more like a shadow puppet duck:

But that's just because it has a rather bad profile. I feel like a lot of otherwise good Godzilla suits have one angle that just looks awful.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Same batshit logic that causes people to compare Gigan to a chicken. :P

I've always been more confused as to how some don't see Gigan as a chicken.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Mechagigan wrote:
I've always been more confused as to how some don't see Gigan as a chicken.

Only resemblance I see is the beak (which is built like a raptor's, not a chicken's) and the presence of a crest, which looks as much like a chicken's crest as a spinosaurus' sail looks like Godzilla's spines.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

It's the long, narrow snout, position/shape of the eyes, and prominent fangs. It doesn't resemble actual rats so much as the stereotypical evil cartoon rat.

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Same batshit logic that causes people to compare Gigan to a chicken. :P
Megalon being called a roach annoys me more, personally. At least Gigan has vaguely avian features. Megalon is clearly based off of a rhinoceros beetle, and roaches aren't beetles of any variety, let alone rhinoceros.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Inferno Rodan wrote:It's the long, narrow snout, position/shape of the eyes, and prominent fangs. It doesn't resemble actual rats so much as the stereotypical evil cartoon rat.
That certainly makes more sense.
Mechagigan wrote:I've always been more confused as to how some don't see Gigan as a chicken.
Yeah, as Kaiju-King42 pointed out, Gigan's beak more closely resembles that of birds of prey than that of a chicken, especially those found in either Accipitridae or Falconidae:

I guess it was only inevitable Gigan would get compared with a chicken, though, as anything even remotely bird-like defaultly gets compared with chickens first over other birds for some odd reason.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

The 'bend' of the head and location of the spikes always struck me as chicken-like, but it really could be any bird with that type of head, I suppose. It's really only in the face, since the rest of his body was either a rounder Godzilla or a Matrix cosplay.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Inferno Rodan wrote: Megalon being called a roach annoys me more, personally. At least Gigan has vaguely avian features. Megalon is clearly based off of a rhinoceros beetle, and roaches aren't beetles of any variety, let alone rhinoceros.
I sometimes refer to Megalon as a roach but mostly do to his connection to the Nebulans than to any real similarity to a cockroach.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

The original Guy-Gun reminded me of a rubber chicken for some weird reason...

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Because that's not really Godzilla in GFW... It's Deutalios ;)

The Kongfather
Yojimbo

Post by The Kongfather »

I can definitely see the similarities between Final Wars Godzilla and a rat, as well as Gigan's resemblance to a chicken. I wouldn't use either observation as a knock to their designs, but I'm admittedly not a huge fan of the Final Wars suit for its slenderness. You can dig for more appropriate (yet obscure) animals to compare them to, but Gigan will always just be an evil space chicken with hook hands to me.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've never minded the rat face. Godzilla has had so many redesigns, and this one was pretty good.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I think the design looks a lot better for toys/figures/models than it does in the movie. The face doesn't photograph well; the eyes get a little lost a lot of the time.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.