Are we really still in the Millennium Series?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
NateZilla10000
Monsterland Worker

Are we really still in the Millennium Series?

Post by NateZilla10000 »

(This is more so commentary on the title of this forum section)

I mean, wasn't the 10 year gap between 2004 and 2014 enough to warrant the end of an era of Godzilla/Kaiju movies and the beginning of another?

There was Clover and Pacific Rim in between, but they didn't involve any of the classic kaiju we all know and love and certainly didn't spark the massive return to popularity as we see today.

I just find it hard to say that the 2017 Anime, Shin, and 2014 are part of the Millennium Series. Or, if they aren't, then would a film that would come out later that is unrelated to the previously mentioned movies be a part of the Millennium Series?

It kinda seems like too big a big gap, you know?

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Re: Are we really still in the Millennium Series?

Post by BlueGojira »

NateZilla10000 wrote:(This is more so commentary on the title of this forum section)

I mean, wasn't the 10 year gap between 2004 and 2014 enough to warrant the end of an era of Godzilla/Kaiju movies and the beginning of another?

There was Clover and Pacific Rim in between, but they didn't involve any of the classic kaiju we all know and love and certainly didn't spark the massive return to popularity as we see today.

I just find it hard to say that the 2017 Anime, Shin, and 2014 are part of the Millennium Series. Or, if they aren't, then would a film that would come out later that is unrelated to the previously mentioned movies be a part of the Millennium Series?

It kinda seems like too big a big gap, you know?

No, we are not in the Millennium series. While this post is very old, and I don't expect a reply, I'll still say something anyway. The Millennium series was produced and created from 1999-2004, hence the name " Millennium ". Cloverfield and Pacific Rim don't have anything to do with this, G2014 is part of the officially confirmed Monsterverse, and Shin Gojira, and Godzilla: MONSTER PLANET aren't currently part of any era at all. No film that is upcoming is part of the series, either.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Godzilla would be the only Toho franchise/series that's "beyond" Millennium. Other movies like AoT would still be in Millennium, as far as I know anyway. Pacific Rim or anything from Hollywood would be even less within Heisei or Millennium, etc. The original Showa/Heisei naming is for something outside of the movie industry in Japan. Anything from Legendary's current series is from the MonsterVerse, not Millennium or something else. If there are numerous Godzilla movies from Japan maybe there will be a name (bring back Shinsei!) to be associated with that collective of movies. With Godzilla's anime not being from Toho though I don't know how they'd categorize it. On TK it'd probably be placed in whatever "era" Shin becomes a component of, IF they make more, like Sony's Godzilla being in the Heisei forum. It isn't a Heisei movie but it was in theaters during Toho's Heisei movies like Mothra.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

We will know the current era's name when a new emperor ascends the Chrysanthemum Throne.

The present situation is the same as when Return of Godzilla came out. It was the first entry in the Heisei series but it was actually released in the Showa era.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

It's Millennium until 3000, I think that's quite clear.

DaddlerTheDalek
Monarch Researcher

Post by DaddlerTheDalek »

I think the Millennium series of Godzilla movies is over since 2004.
Tails wrote:You're watching a Poster!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

If you really want to get technical, we're actually still in the Heisei era! But, given the gap between GFW and G2014, safe to say we're in a new era for Godzilla, though there hasn't really been a definitive name for it yet.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

Ivo-goji wrote:We will know the current era's name when a new emperor ascends the Chrysanthemum Throne.

The present situation is the same as when Return of Godzilla came out. It was the first entry in the Heisei series but it was actually released in the Showa era.
Actually, you bring up a pretty good point, maybe we are still in the Millennium series. However, considering that Legendary just revealed the upcoming Godzilla films produced in America are part of the ' Monsterverse ' I don't really think we are.

EDIT: I just realized this might have been what the G-Fans in '84 felt like about the newest movie whether it was part of a previous era or not.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

No. Godzilla movies are interesting now.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

G14 don't count just as Gino isn't considered part of the Heisei series. Same will probably be applied to the upcoming anime.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

Technically in terms of culture eras we're still Heisei given Emperor Heisei is still thankfully still alive and ruling, aren't we?
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I feel like if Toho continues making films around this time we'll just end up calling this the Shin series.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

The way these movies are split into eras is so damn inconsistent. We really should have come up with a better way to split these movies up in the past.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Tarbosaurus wrote:Technically in terms of culture eras we're still Heisei given Emperor Heisei is still thankfully still alive and ruling, aren't we?
Well...
Emperor Akihito: Japan considers moves to allow 2018 abdication

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

tbeasley wrote:
Tarbosaurus wrote:Technically in terms of culture eras we're still Heisei given Emperor Heisei is still thankfully still alive and ruling, aren't we?
Well...
Huh. Well, he's lived a long life and ruled well, gotten up there in years. Better to pass it along smoothly. Wonder what name his heir will take for the new era. And come to think of it, would this new era be named after him and have Shin Godzilla included in it? Kind alike how 1984 was technically a Showa era film but it was added to the Heisei era.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Tarbosaurus wrote:
tbeasley wrote:
Well...
Huh. Well, he's lived a long life and ruled well, gotten up there in years. Better to pass it along smoothly. Wonder what name his heir will take for the new era. And come to think of it, would this new era be named after him and have Shin Godzilla included in it? Kind alike how 1984 was technically a Showa era film but it was added to the Heisei era.
That's a good idea, and solves a lot of problems with this division.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Personally, I like to call this post-2014 as The Resurgence era.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Definitely think "Resurgence Era" has a great ring to it. The first film, G14, came out during a time when Godzilla was practically dead and it, along with Pacific Rim, revitalized the kaiju genre.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

UltramanGoji wrote:Definitely think "Resurgence Era" has a great ring to it. The first film, G14, came out during a time when Godzilla was practically dead and it, along with Pacific Rim, revitalized the kaiju genre.
Cheers m8
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The Showa and Heisei eras are denoted by the emperor, but I think continuing that trend is arbitrary. Technically Millenium Movies still exist within the Heisei era, but clearly there's a difference between Heisei era G films and the series of films that came out from 1999-2004.

I also, while understanding the differences between the 3 current series, really think we should title them all under one envelope, as it's the current ongoing succession of films. The Millenium series was the 3rd, now we are on the 4th.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.