Monster Discussion: Manda (GFW)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Monster Discussion: Manda (GFW)

Post by Tomzilla »

Of all the classic kaiju Godzilla: Final Wars resurrected and redesigned for our viewing pleasure/disapproval, Manda was by far my favorite. Her new design was perfect. It not only retained the classical Manda look, it greatly enhanced it. Now I don't now about the rest of you, but I was silently shaking my head when they killed her off in the beginning. Manda deserved better than that, damn it! Given how the Gotengo was forced in taking drastic measures to eliminate her, I really wanted to see more of the serpent. Imagine an underwater fight between Manda and Godzilla, or Manda and Ebirah, or Manda and Ebirah against Godzilla, or...

OK, this might all be in my head, but... Did anyone else pick up on the subtle nod to Norse mythology? Manda and the Gotengo were fighting somewhere off the shore of Normandy, an area historically tied to the Norse religion. In Norse mythology, Jörmungandr, also known as the Midgard Serpent, is destined to fight and kill Thor the god of thunder. I like to think that in the Godzilla: Final Wars universe, Manda was the giant serpent that inspired the myths and legends of Jörmungandr.

Please share what you liked and disliked about GFW's Manda below!
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Monster Discussion: Manda (GFW)

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Despite the name being feminine. Manda's really a male. Figured I'd point that out.

Other then that I agree Tom. FW Manda is one of those cases where a newer incarnation is better then the original.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Yeah I belive Manda is male.

Pretty good design, I prefer it over the Showa one tbh.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

This design great surpassed the original design (which is very ugly in my opinion), but I'm still not much of a fan of the kaiju itself.
Resized Image

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

It is crazy how over time, new facts come out from Godzilla Final Wars. A movie which is filled with Eastern eggs and winks and nods to the franchise's long history.

Godzilla2004fan
Samurai

Post by Godzilla2004fan »

It's a great version of a kaiju, It looks so much like Manda from Atragon but with more Millenium.
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

GFW Manda is a beautiful kaiju. It has the basic elements of the classic monster, but makes it stronger and more threatening.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.