Is Final Wars Zilla REALLY that weak? (My 2 cents)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Mechagigan
Futurian

Re: Is Final Wars Zilla REALLY that weak? (My 2 cents)

Post by Mechagigan »

I've never understood the major issue with FW Monsters being notably weaker than usual; though it doesn't exactly 'honor' the original characters (especially in cases such as Hedorah or Gigan's), it does make Godzilla look pretty friggin' unstoppable - which, seems to have been the point of the movie, all things considered.

I do think the foes needed a lot more strength, but they fit the roles they were intended for.

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

Toho denied the ridiculous idea of kaijus in FW being reduced of any power/strength. What I do recall is Toho mentioning Keizer Guidora being the most powerful of Godzilla's enemies.

Why are the battles short? We would need a much lenghty movie if the complete fights were on film. A lot of the battles are for interpretation, as they are supposed to be cameos only. The Hedora fight for instance, I would presume took a few hours. And I am one of those that believe Zilla survived Godzilla's ray attack (barely and extremely hurt) by burrowing underground.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote:destroying the Sydney Space Needle
He did a damn good job, too. He destroyed it so much that no-one in Australia has ever heard of this Sydney Space Needle.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

latinothor wrote: And I am one of those that believe Zilla survived Godzilla's ray attack (barely and extremely hurt) by burrowing underground.
Yeah I'm pretty sure Zilla's dead, he literally exploded. The only ones that survived are Anguirus, Rodan, and King Ceasar.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

Like I mentioned earlier, the genius of the movie is that a lot is left to interpretation. From the length of the fights, to the outcome.

For instance, the fight between Mothra and Guygun. The disks that decapitated GuyGun were not an accident but a counter attack from Mothra's dust. And Mothra didn't die when she exploded against GuyGun's decapitated body, but turn herself into Fire Mothra. She is shown flying back to Monster Island in the after credits.

Kumonga was once an ally to Godzilla, it is very likely that she survived the landing after Godzilla hurled her away.

Godzilla did not once laid his hands on Anguirus, Caesar or Rodan, he just used them against themselves. Like so, there are endless facts about Godzilla Final Wars, that the viewer comes out with something new everytime they watch the movie, much like the graphic novel Watchmen by Alan Moore.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

No. It was just Godzilla was ridicously powerful when compared to most of the monsters in the movie with the exception of Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah because Toho obviously wanted to show "He's da King! No one can top him!!!!"

That and the fight that Toho did was out of spite in response to the 1998 film which even then they approved of in the first place. :roll:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

latinothor wrote:Kumonga was once an ally to Godzilla, it is very likely that she survived the landing after Godzilla hurled her away.
When was this? The only time I remember Kumonga being Godzilla's ally was DAM, which isn't part of FW's continuity.
Godzilla did not once laid his hands on Anguirus, Caesar or Rodan, he just used them against themselves.
A deleted scene had Godzilla then burning them all to death.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_room ... .htm#drakc

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The instant the person that necroposted the thread said Guygun you should've stopped taking anything he said seriously. Obvious troll. All the stuff like Kumonga being an ally just adds to that.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:The instant the person that necroposted the thread said Guygun you should've stopped taking anything he said seriously. Obvious troll. All the stuff like Kumonga being an ally just adds to that.
This is the Godzilla fanbase we're talking about, remember?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:That and the fight that Toho did was out of spite in response to the 1998 film which even then they approved of in the first place. :roll:
You can approve someone to make something and then still think it sucks when they deliver the final project. In fact, most creative work (including my own job) involves the commissioning client gutting all the work you did and asking you to completely remake it because your first stab at it was nothing like anything they wanted.

Only with '98, the 'first draft' they got eyes on after commissioning it was the one in theaters... which was, based on Toho's track record of how they portray Godzilla, pretty much nothing like anything they wanted. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

When was this? The only time I remember Kumonga being Godzilla's ally was DAM, which isn't part of FW's continuity.
This is it exactly.

As stated by the prior poster, all intellectual work goes through much editing. Yes, I was aware of the draft you menioned of Godzilla killing his old allies. As I am sure there were numerous changes that Kitamura possibly added to the initial draft.

And to the guy stating I might be some type of 'troll', I am not. And to the subject of my usage of the name Guygun as opposed to calling him Gigan, all I can say is that you might have to look far into some Japanese websites.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

latinothor wrote:
This is it exactly.
Kumonga being an "ally" in an entirely separate continuity to the movie were talking about now shouldn't have even been brought up. Its a dead point. At the end of day, Kumonga was just a foe that launched over the skyline - after stopping for a few frames and speeding up mid throw.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

latinothor wrote:
Godzilla did not once laid his hands on Anguirus, Caesar or Rodan, he just used them against themselves.
He did a foot launch off of Anguirus' head and "guide" KC along. But, that's splitting hairs a little.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

He did a foot launch off of Anguirus' head and "guide" KC along. But, that's splitting hairs a little.
Probably, one of the funniest battles in the Godzilla Saga :lol:

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

Cybermat47 wrote:
He did a damn good job, too. He destroyed it so much that no-one in Australia has ever heard of this Sydney Space Needle.
Sorry, I had a brain fart and typed Space Needle; I meant the Sydney Tower.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

GFW Zilla, going by on screen feats, is weak. Sure, it didn't die to a few missiles like the first Zilla, but I don't recall it ever taking on the GDF.
Meanwhile Rodan and Anguirus were winning against the GDF ships without much trouble, not to mention Rodan and Anguirus were each able to get a brief hit on Godzilla.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote:
Cybermat47 wrote:
Actually, it's the Sydney Opera House.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

mikelcho wrote:
Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote:
Cybermat47 wrote:
Actually, it's the Sydney Opera House.
Nope, Centre Point Tower and the Opera House are completely different.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Okay, now I get it! I remember the Opera House, but not the Centre Point Tower. Where did it come in in the film?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

mikelcho wrote:Okay, now I get it! I remember the Opera House, but not the Centre Point Tower. Where did it come in in the film?
Right as the monsters begin their first assault on the planet. The very first shot of Sydney shows the tower coming down, followed by Zilla's reveal.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock