Keizer Ghidorah: Your Honest Opinions?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Re: Keizer Ghidorah: Your Honest Opinions?

Post by DirektorSplennic »

VoyagerGoji wrote:Keizer is the worst Ghidorah ever. Ugly-Ass design with his rat tails, annoying roar, tiny wings, and his deformed heads. Say what you will about GMK’s Ghidorah but at least he wasn’t ugly and dumb.
GMK Ghidorah has the ugliest heads of any Ghidorah imo, and making him smaller than Godzilla was dumb.

onerichman
Monsterland Worker

Post by onerichman »

I hated it. Personally I found Death Ghidorah is a far better design and creation.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Don't hate it like the majority of people do. Not my fav by any means but felt it filled the role in Final Wars well and works as the evolution of Monster X. Can appreciate it as its own spin to the three-headed dragon.

MekaGojira3k
Samurai

Post by MekaGojira3k »

It's a cool design it's just a bit wonky in execution. I think if they'd used a big puppet or a single person suit.

kiryu86
Samurai

Post by kiryu86 »

Body is cool, the necks look stubby and only the center head looks right. The others look....kinda lame. They look like sad handpuppets bitten by a vampire
Not all who wander are lost

Amp87
Samurai

Post by Amp87 »

Keizer Ghidorah to me is the most insane incarnation of Ghidorah to date. When I first saw him in 2004 as a 17-year-old i was in shock, and he manhandled FinalGoji and nearly killed him and could've killed him if he didn't have help. I liked the fact he took the fight to FinalGoji and used his gravity beams the way they were intended to be in battle, and there was nothing he could do about it. No amount of CGI or motion-capture will ever upbeat this version, this was the ultimate Ghidorah he also nearly drained the life out of him as well.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

KG was the perfect final foe for that movie. It's just not the best version of KG.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Monster X was really cool. Keizer Ghidorah was.... fine conceptually but really haphazard in execution

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

GigaBowserG wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:56 pm
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote:They had him levitate a la Monster X in the IDW comics, making the wings more for show. I could see that.
Oh they do? Is it the half century war comic? I dont have that comic yet
It's in the "Godzilla" comic series run, or "Godzilla: History's Greatest Monster". The main series after Kingdom of Monsters, but before Rulers of Earth.

Keizer Ghidorah was also in the Rage Across Time #5 (there they did a reverse transformation where he turns back into Monster X, which was rather interesting).
onerichman wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:54 am I hated it. Personally I found Death Ghidorah is a far better design and creation.
To each their own...Death Ghidorah is symbolic of the entire Mothra Trilogy (utterly forgettable trash).

DirektorSplennic wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:40 pm
VoyagerGoji wrote:Keizer is the worst Ghidorah ever. Ugly-Ass design with his rat tails, annoying roar, tiny wings, and his deformed heads. Say what you will about GMK’s Ghidorah but at least he wasn’t ugly and dumb.
GMK Ghidorah has the ugliest heads of any Ghidorah imo, and making him smaller than Godzilla was dumb.
GMK Ghidorah was an abomination. I refer to it as KINO. One of the few kaiju that I do not own any figures of, and have no interest in ever doing so.

As far as my thoughts on Keizer Ghidorah....he's "ok". Definitely not my favorite version of Ghidorah, but he fills his role well I suppose. I think he gets much more hate than other kaiju would normally receive due to the usual prevailing "waah, GFW is da worst movie eva/Kitamura ruined Godzilla and mah childhood!" whining that still permeates some in this fandom. To echo others on here, I think KG *had* to be in this film for the 50th film considering the important role he's played in the G series throughout the years as G's arch rival. And while I appreciate them trying to do something new and different with KG, it fell short execution-wise.

On the plus side, he was huge and imposing, and showed why KG is one of Godzilla's most powerful foes ala his SHOWA days (enough of the "Destoroyah is his strongest foe" crap...KG and MG are his most powerful foes, period. :KingGhidorah64: :Mechagodzilla74: Hell, one could even argue that Gigan and Hedorah are stronger rivals than Destoroyah :Gigan: :Hedorah: ). He embodied the essence and sheer power of old school King Ghidorah. One of the few times Godzilla seemed overmatched and helpless.

On the negative side....everything else. :monsterx: :keizer: Bizarre/ugly coloring, tiny wings, never flies, and weird roars (at least they didn't just recycle some version of Rodan's roar ala GvsKG, but they still sucked nonetheless). I wouldn't have even minded the whole 4 leg "horse" design aspect that much had it not been so stiff and so poorly executed.

While he's no where near as bad as GMK Ghidorah, Death Ghidorah, or whatever da fuq that was in the Polygon trilogy, he's just "meh" and in the middle of the pack for me when it comes to KG designs.

I agree with others that they should have just used...*gasp* King Ghidorah. :shock: No nonsense, no bullshit....just a badass KG with his SHOWA roars and persona. Something TOHO seems to constantly resist doing in any medium sadly.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Keizer Ghidorah's not my favorite Ghidorah...but I don't hate him by any means. He exists, he's cool in the moment we see him, and he was the final boss of the second Godzilla movie I ever watched, so I have a bit of personal nostalgia for him. And I think he's a badass motherfucker in Godzilla: Ongoing.

Nevertheless, I think Desghidorah is way better.
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Tue May 02, 2023 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

The fw fanboys have made me hate anything in fw, and that's not a joke.

I though keizer was neat, for a concept. As the kaiju, it was just meh, agreed with Shin that Desghidorah is better.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

My least favorite kaiju of the post Showa movies. The design is just awful. The proportions are just awful. The wings are just awful. The roars are just AWFUL. He sounds like a parrot having a seizure while an old man has an orgasm in the background.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:17 pm My least favorite kaiju of the post Showa movies. The design is just awful. The proportions are just awful. The wings are just awful. The roars are just AWFUL. He sounds like a parrot having a seizure while an old man has an orgasm in the background.
How much of it was the execution that ruined it for you?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:22 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:17 pm My least favorite kaiju of the post Showa movies. The design is just awful. The proportions are just awful. The wings are just awful. The roars are just AWFUL. He sounds like a parrot having a seizure while an old man has an orgasm in the background.
How much of it was the execution that ruined it for you?
When the design sucks so badly as much as Keizer Ghidorah's does, execution could be done as if it were done by God and it'd still suck.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Fri May 05, 2023 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think it’s worth mentioning, when I was much younger and in love with GFW, I still didn’t even like Keizer Ghidorah then. I didn’t know what was wrong about it, but something always felt “off”. Now I recognize it’s the proportions and pretty much everything MM said.

Shame they couldn’t have just let Monster X be its own thing. Maybe instead of turning into Keizer Ghidorah it could’ve just grown wings and been like an evil Angel and done with KG was doing. Wouldn’t fix the movie at all, but it’s a shame that one of the only legitimately great parts of the film (Monster X) is sidelined for something dumb.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

He Jock it Made of Steel

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:10 am I think it’s worth mentioning, when I was much younger and in love with GFW, I still didn’t even like Keizer Ghidorah then. I didn’t know what was wrong about it, but something always felt “off”. Now I recognize it’s the proportions and pretty much everything MM said.

Shame they couldn’t have just let Monster X be its own thing. Maybe instead of turning into Keizer Ghidorah it could’ve just grown wings and been like an evil Angel and done with KG was doing. Wouldn’t fix the movie at all, but it’s a shame that one of the only legitimately great parts of the film (Monster X) is sidelined for something dumb.
On one hand, I agree.

On the other, considering how many people continue to cite the lack of Mechagodzilla as a weakness in the film (not an overwhelming number, but enough) I imagine that the fanbase would even more bitter if they felt King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla missed the anniversary film, and would be much harsher on Monster X as an original creation.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

JVM wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:50 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:10 am I think it’s worth mentioning, when I was much younger and in love with GFW, I still didn’t even like Keizer Ghidorah then. I didn’t know what was wrong about it, but something always felt “off”. Now I recognize it’s the proportions and pretty much everything MM said.

On one hand, I agree.

On the other, considering how many people continue to cite the lack of Mechagodzilla as a weakness in the film (not an overwhelming number, but enough) I imagine that the fanbase would even more bitter if they felt King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla missed the anniversary film, and would be much harsher on Monster X as an original creation.
This is why I still say a better idea for the 50th film would have been a third entry of the Kiryu saga with King Ghidorah and a handful of other kaiju (Rodan and Anguirus mainly) in a closing chapter for the whole arc. Movie would have simply been GxMxMGxKG, and I'd have gladly taken it. Even if I don't care for Kiryu much. I also gotta' imagine a King Ghidorah in the Kiryu universe would have been based closely on Showa King Ghidorah, manes and alien origin and all, and I REALLY wanna' see how that would have been pulled off considering how amazing Mothra is in SOS.

Quote of the Year:

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:26 pm

On one hand, I agree.

This is why I still say a better idea for the 50th film would have been a third entry of the Kiryu saga with King Ghidorah and a handful of other kaiju (Rodan and Anguirus mainly) in a closing chapter for the whole arc. Movie would have simply been GxMxMGxKG, and I'd have gladly taken it. Even if I don't care for Kiryu much. I also gotta' imagine a King Ghidorah in the Kiryu universe would have been based closely on Showa King Ghidorah, manes and alien origin and all, and I REALLY wanna' see how that would have been pulled off considering how amazing Mothra is in SOS.
Damn, you sold me on that idea. Anything with Mechagodzilla and King Ghidorah in the same film as active combatants would have a chance to be an event.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

JVM wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:34 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:26 pm
On one hand, I agree.

Damn, you sold me on that idea. Anything with Mechagodzilla and King Ghidorah in the same film as active combatants would have a chance to be an event.
Wouldn't be too hard to pull off. King Ghidorah arrives from space, few Earth kaiju rise up (Anguirus, Rodan and Mothra). They're not strong enough. Japan has the idea of salvaging Kiryu. Suddenly Godzilla reappears to fight Ghidorah. Shobojin are still against the salvaging Kiryu. It gets done anyway. By the finale, Kiryu's Godzilla side becomes active and it and Godzilla team up against Ghidorah. Ghidorah defeated, Godzilla returns to the sea and Kiryu collapses as the soul of '54 is finally free because its the end.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun May 07, 2023 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year: