Meaning of Tokyo SOS cliffhanger

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Meaning of Tokyo SOS cliffhanger

Post by SonOfGorgo »

This thread's for anyone who wish to express their theories on the cliffhanger of Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.

Just to recap, this post-credits scene shows a tank containing DNA from either the original '54 Godzilla or the new Godzilla that attacked in '99, 2003 & 2004. It also shows that the extraction date of such was either 11th March 1999 or 3rd November 1999. As the tank closed and sealed, an announcer said that a "bio-formation experiment" will begin.

What do you think this means? Were they planning on making a new Kiryu? Or maybe it took place durng the start of the first Kiryu's construction back in '99, bookending the Saga? Please feel free to leave some thoughts, ideas, opinions, and theories in the comments down below. Thank you.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Re: Meaning of Tokyo SOS cliffhanger

Post by Bigdog »

^There was a concept art of different Kiryu-esque mecha creatures, like MechaKumonga, maybe a Mothra. Had they went with that idea in the 2004 film instead of Final Wars, we'd might have seen that.

I thought myself when I seen that they were maybe going to create clones that are controlled instead of mecha, like how Ghidorah was controlled by the aliens in the Showa film and in the Vs. series.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Bigdog wrote:^There was a concept art of different Kiryu-esque mecha creatures, like MechaKumonga, maybe a Mothra. Had they went with that idea in the 2004 film instead of Final Wars, we'd might have seen that.
Yeah, I saw that once recently. Maybe they'd revived Moguera.
Bigdog wrote:I thought myself when I seen that they were maybe going to create clones that are controlled instead of mecha, like how Ghidorah was controlled by the aliens in the Showa film and in the Vs. series.
Perhaps.

Gallavant123
Samurai

Post by Gallavant123 »

I think I remember some people thinking that it was Zilla but that doesn't make much sense since SOS is not in continuity with FW

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

Gallavant123 wrote:I think I remember some people thinking that it was Zilla
Literally how?

It says '54 right on the thing. Even if it was connected to Final Wars, it makes no sense.
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

Gallavant123
Samurai

Post by Gallavant123 »

F4ZaTE_X wrote:
Literally how?

It says '54 right on the thing. Even if it was connected to Final Wars, it makes no sense.
Actually now that you mention this, I think it was some theory that "GINO" was going to be introduced as some sort of gene-spliced clone imitation created using Gojira 54's DNA but since they dropped the sequel concept, they instead decided to include him in FW. I believe the reasoning had something to do with Tristar's rights to "GINO" expiring in 2003, allowing Toho to introduce the character.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I saw it as a suggestion of things to come. We'd get some biotechnology produced monsters or perhaps more living weapons systems. Anyhow, it was a way to tease the audience regarding future films.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

edgaguirus wrote:I saw it as a suggestion of things to come. We'd get some biotechnology produced monsters or perhaps more living weapons systems. Anyhow, it was a way to tease the audience regarding future films.
Like cyborg/cybernetic versions of familiar Kaijus?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It's almost a fulfillment of Dr. Yamane's warning in the first Godzilla. Yamane warned that continued nuclear testing would bring another Godzilla to life. In the Kiryu films, the new Godzilla appears when its ancestor's remains are disturbed. Here, Tezuka is saying that man will continue with the genetic experiments and DNA extraction; we haven't learned from our mistakes, and it may mean the return of Godzilla.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I'd love to see a continuation of this story whether in film or animation.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

It was just continuing the tradition of cliffhanger endings the Millennium series had followed up to that point.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

I think if they put that clip before the credits, it would have worked better as an ominous ending. Putting it after the credits, though, makes it seem more like a tease for possible future films. Still, it works in both contexts as is.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Mr. Xeno wrote:I think if they put that clip before the credits, it would have worked better as an ominous ending. Putting it after the credits, though, makes it seem more like a tease for possible future films. Still, it works in both contexts as is.
All it needed was Nick Fury to seal the deal, lol. :lol:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

" I'd like to talk to you about the Godzilla Initiative."
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

edgaguirus wrote:" I'd like to talk to you about the Godzilla Initiative."

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Here.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LamangoKaijura wrote:Here.
[img]]
Whoa.... Mecha Kambeos really looks like a mecha gamera cause of the flying
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LordGuyver-VII
Ronin

Post by LordGuyver-VII »

LamangoKaijura wrote:Here.
Holy crap they have Sanda and Gaira's heads in mechs! It looks like their brains are also exposed, pretty disturbing.
I would've liked to see this on screen.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Gallavant123 wrote:
F4ZaTE_X wrote:
Literally how?

Actually now that you mention this, I think it was some theory that "GINO" was going to be introduced as some sort of gene-spliced clone imitation created using Gojira 54's DNA but since they dropped the sequel concept, they instead decided to include him in FW. I believe the reasoning had something to do with Tristar's rights to "GINO" expiring in 2003, allowing Toho to introduce the character.
I actually really like this idea. I wish they would've done it.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'm glad Toho didn't do it. Gino may have been available, but another Godzilla clone would be too much. There was other kaiju DNA in the lab, so bringing back one of the past monsters would be more interesting.