Monster Discussion: Megaguirus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
StAiRcAsE KiTtY
Terminated
Terminated

Monster Discussion: Megaguirus

Post by StAiRcAsE KiTtY »

A thread devoted to, IMO, the best insectoid kaiju in existance: Megaguirus. I love this beauty of a kaiju so much. I really wish to see her come back sometime.
You want a battle...
Here's a war!

RIP, Judas. An amazing idea, gone before it was created.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Re: Monster Discussion: Megaguirus

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Now that I think about it, her design kinda reminds me of the Brundlefly from David Cronenberg's The Fly remake.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I love the design for Megaguirus, especially that reptilian-like head. It's a shame she wasn't in a better movie.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Well, I actually agree with Staircase Kitty for once. Despite starring in a lackluster film, Megaguirus is easily one of my all-time favorite kaiju.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Cannot deny Megaguirus is one of the best bug monsters, not only design-wise, but also with her sadistic and crafty personality. Definitely the highlight of her film. If only the film itself wasn't so... not great :(
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Megaguirus is a great kaiju, both design and personality wise. She may not have been strong, bust she was viscious, cunning, and gave the king of the monsters a hard time. I'd like to see her again, too, but I doubt that will happen again.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

Looking at that picture, I somehow all of a sudden realize that Megaguirus looks like the lovechild of Zuul and a giant hornet.
On that note, I've always adored how demonic, yet primordial she looks. A fairly unique Godzilla kaiju.
Monsters are the real people.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I absolutely love both the look and overall personality of her, and as everyone else has stated, it's a shame that she wasn't in a better movie.

#BotM

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

I think Megaguirus is a ton of fun -- great design, even if it runs a little close to Battra, and it's just kind of joyous to get such an out-and-out villainous monster in the Millenium series.

That smile before she drops a building on Godzilla? So campy, but so awesome.

Tonally, vs. Megaguirus is the perfect movie for her. I just wish its script weren't such a mess in seemingly unintentional ways.

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

I love Megaguirus, she is a great kaiju that was just in a terrible film. I will give credit for Tezuka bringing back the Meganulon from Rodan and expanding on them. Now if we could just get another Rodan film featuring Megaguirus then Toho could have all my money. Rodan X Megauirus: Big Battle of the Samurais of the Sky

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

A showdown between Rodan and Megaguirus would be incredible and a great way to bring back the character.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I thought the match up between Godzilla and Megaguirus was interesting at the very least. She has almost no durability, but was still able to hold herself against Godzilla just through agility alone.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Interesting idea and design but awful execution

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

I always wondered why Megaguirus never took part in the fight against the Trilopods, especially when they caught her at some point and mimic'd her DNA.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

Space Hunter M wrote:I thought the match up between Godzilla and Megaguirus was interesting at the very least. She has almost no durability, but was still able to hold herself against Godzilla just through agility alone.
Yeah, I agree. Sets Megaguirus apart from many kaiju, not just Godzilla. Very unique range of abilities.

Great kaiju, don't care for the movie though.
Member of TK Since 2006

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Loved that we got a sadistic personality again. She was the Gigan for the newer generation of G fans. Also a smart villain who didn't rely on just being stronger. And I'm in the minority here, I thought the movie was fun. Not good, but fun.