The Septenary Series (Jidai Series, ShinToho Series?)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Re: The Septenary Series (Jidai Series, ShinToho Series?)

Post by he-ba »

Why not Rebirth Era or something along those lines? It's 12 years goshdernit and that's definitely a time for Rebirth
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

^Oops, sorry LC. Too many names flying around, I guess I got a little......... ok yeah sorry
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Neo is terrible. Whatever Japan comes up with, I'll just go with that.... However, I really like "Legendary Era". It doesn't have to mean just Legendary pictures.... Just in general since the movies coming out now are of much higher quality(not trying to start a debate with that) thus "Legendary Era", which includes LPs films and any of Tohos future installments.

Ehhh, fine, the "new era" Toho films: Shintoho Series.....LP films: Legendary series
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

three
Keizer

Post by three »

^ yea, just calling it Legendary makes the most sense. there's no real point to break them up, because it's been pointed out numerous times any difference is obvious to most people, and the studio who produced it is only relevant to us, not the general audience.

this was agreed upon long, long ago in a now archived thread in the comments and suggestions subforum. it's why when you see "Legendary Series" it says "2014-current", and not to whatever date the next film is. it was intended to be the new name for the era, but that's cast by the wayside now. Millennium, for all intents and purposes, has ended for many people.
why drag it out and split it up? put 'em together. people will know where to find all the new films from both studios.

anyway. i'm trying not to be involved here with this anymore, because frankly it lost me a long time ago, but i figured i'd drop in and reiterate and offer my support to you, cookson.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Zillamon51
GPN Volunteer

Post by Zillamon51 »

three wrote:^ yea, just calling it Legendary makes the most sense. there's no real point to break them up, because it's been pointed out numerous times any difference is obvious to most people, and the studio who produced it is only relevant to us, not the general audience.

this was agreed upon long, long ago in a now archived thread in the comments and suggestions subforum. it's why when you see "Legendary Series" it says "2014-current", and not to whatever date the next film is. it was intended to be the new name for the era, but that's cast by the wayside now. Millennium, for all intents and purposes, has ended for many people.
why drag it out and split it up? put 'em together. people will know where to find all the new films from both studios.
Earlier in this thread, I said just continue w/ Millennium since the movies don't share continuity anyway. It initially seemed odd to me that films not produced by Legendary would fall under that banner. However, this ^ reasoning is sound, especially since it's far too early to guess whether G'16 will even spawn a new series, or be a one-off. So I could get behind this, no problem. Quite frankly, I think every idea in this thread other than continuing with either Millennium or Legendary is stupid.

Appleloosa

Post by Appleloosa »

three wrote:^ yea, just calling it Legendary makes the most sense. there's no real point to break them up, because it's been pointed out numerous times any difference is obvious to most people, and the studio who produced it is only relevant to us, not the general audience.
What if "Legendary" were kept as the blanket term for the era, but for the sake of reducing ambiguity, an extra descriptor were added to differentiate the two subcategories? I think he-ba originally suggested something like that earlier in this thread. It might just satisfy both sides of the debate:
  1. Legendary Prime
  2. Legendary Double Prime
The shorthand could be Legendary′ and Legendary″, just like in math.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

well, to be frank Appleloosa, the members of the site know the difference between the films. if it's all under Legendary Era, we'll be able to differentiate. the reason to keep it Legendary is

A) because that's the studio who spawned this new era and

B) like i said, it was decided upon. there's really no reason *not* to go that route, or to further subcategorize the films. we know 'em, and it reduces clutter. i think differentiating between them and breaking it down causes more confusion, because nobody would be sure what falls where or why, and the debate wouldn't end so long as they're apart.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

Heartless
G-Force Personnel

Post by Heartless »

anyway. i'm trying not to be involved here with this anymore, because frankly it lost me a long time ago, but i figured i'd drop in and reiterate and offer my support to you, cookson.
The issue with this is that the general audience doesn't care about the different era titles anyway. The different classifications ultimately only serve us as fans to better distinguish between them during discussions and whatnot. So, why keeping bringing up the general audiences? It's not like we need to work around them in this case.

And because these era titles are only classifications to help fans better distinguish between different series, how does it make any sense to name a completely separate Japanese series after the American one? The American series is already distinguished by the Legendary name, so keep it at that. Throwing everything under that same moniker for the fans who could actually use more distinction between different Godzilla films is just silly to me. In shorter words, why further limit the amount of distinction/classification?

Having said all that, why do we need to force a name onto this "new era" prematurely in the first place? Maybe if we just wait and see what direction Toho takes, a more appropriate name will surface naturally.
"Sorrow begets solitude. The only thing you can have faith in is yourself."
自分に嘘つけば
自分を失うよ

three
Keizer

Post by three »

^ here's why i keep mentioning the general audience: they're the ones who'd need to distinguish between the studios. i'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that anyone on the street will, when asked, have no idea what studio produced which film. they may note the differences in production and the quality of the movie itself, but in general, they'd be the ones in need of the differentiating.

on the other hand, fans like us who know which studio produced which film don't need it to be pointed out that LP produced the trilogy we're getting, and we don't need someone to point out that Toho produced another line of films. therefore, it wouldn't make sense to separate the two, especially given that one is likely to be a single line of three films, into different subforums to people who already know the difference between them.

it would (in addition to reducing the clutter) also make it easier to find what you're looking for. you want the Toho line of films made after 2014? they're in the Legendary thread. so's the Legendary trilogy. all of it was spawned by the Legendary film, anyway.

really, why would we *need* them separated? because i've heard arguments against my idea, and cookson's idea, but none that really show that it's a necessary thing to do. in fact, many people think it's a waste to even bother with a new era, because in the words of SS4G, it's still the Millennium line. so...why separate them?

Heartless
G-Force Personnel

Post by Heartless »

three wrote:^ here's why i keep mentioning the general audience: they're the ones who'd need to distinguish between the studios. i'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that anyone on the street will, when asked, have no idea what studio produced which film. they may note the differences in production and the quality of the movie itself, but in general, they'd be the ones in need of the differentiating.

on the other hand, fans like us who know which studio produced which film don't need it to be pointed out that LP produced the trilogy we're getting, and we don't need someone to point out that Toho produced another line of films. therefore, it wouldn't make sense to separate the two, especially given that one is likely to be a single line of three films, into different subforums to people who already know the difference between them.

it would (in addition to reducing the clutter) also make it easier to find what you're looking for. you want the Toho line of films made after 2014? they're in the Legendary thread. so's the Legendary trilogy. all of it was spawned by the Legendary film, anyway.

really, why would we *need* them separated? because i've heard arguments against my idea, and cookson's idea, but none that really show that it's a necessary thing to do. in fact, many people think it's a waste to even bother with a new era, because in the words of SS4G, it's still the Millennium line. so...why separate them?
What I don't understand is why you are putting the general audience's needs before ours. They don't care about understanding the differences between the two.. They can see the differences for themselves, but beyond "the American one" and "the Japanese one," what further distinctions do they care about making? That's like saying "since the general audiences don't know the differences between the Showa and Heisei eras, let's just merge them... But we'll still call it the Showa series, since that was the one that started it all."

What I'm trying to say is that the whole purpose for these era titles is so that us as fans can better separate the eras, especially for discussing the films. They're not supposed to serve any purpose to some random person on the street. Nothing *needs* to be separated, but the group of people who can make the most use out of the title separations is us.. So that's who should take priority. And when you start limiting the amount of separation that can be had by throwing films from two different studios into a single category, things can get confusing and easily muddled... especially when you name that category after the American studio.

Since we know the Legendary films are going to be their own trilogy, at the least, just keep them separate. I think they are warranted their own category anyway.
"Sorrow begets solitude. The only thing you can have faith in is yourself."
自分に嘘つけば
自分を失うよ

three
Keizer

Post by three »

...i'm NOT putting their needs before ours. i'm saying making two separate subforums would be putting their needs ahead of ours, which is silly.

i think it's safe to say that we can make the distinctions on our own, and that if we can't we will quickly learn. i mean, the forum is called "Toho Kingdom", so, if you're here and don't know the difference between two studios already, it's either going to be a learning experience or a bumpy ride. you've made a good case for keeping them all together above by emphasizing what i was saying the entire time, too.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

three wrote:^ yea, just calling it Legendary makes the most sense.
If it DID make the most sense, a bunch of people in thread thread wouldn't be saying it makes NO sense.

Unit~NoA
G-Force Personnel

Post by Unit~NoA »

Jidai Era. ShinToho sounds like if the whole company made anew name for themselves and not for a Godzilla series.

Naming it Legendary Era for those reasons doesn't make much sense to me. Its like the Millennium should've been called TriStar Era "because if GINO didn't bomb we wouldn't have more Toho movies!" That just what I'm getting from it. Jedi Era please.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Unit~NoA wrote: Its like the Millennium should've been called TriStar Era "because if GINO didn't bomb we wouldn't have more Toho movies!"
I actually think Toho made G2K to keep up interest while the TriStar sequel was under production (think it was supposed to come out in like 2002 or something).

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla
Super Saurian

Post by SuperSaiyan4Godzilla »

Unit~NoA wrote:Jidai Era. ShinToho sounds like if the whole company made anew name for themselves and not for a Godzilla series.
Shin Toho was already a move studio sometime in the past.
"But, I that am not shap'd for sportive trick nor made to court an amorous looking glass. I that am rudely stamp'd and want love's majesty to strut before and wanton, ambling nymph."

Click here to join the Official TK Forums Facebook Group!

MothraFreak's boyfriend.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Legion1979 wrote:
three wrote:^ yea, just calling it Legendary makes the most sense.
If it DID make the most sense, a bunch of people in thread thread wouldn't be saying it makes NO sense.
it's like three.

and that, counting the tally, is about how many say just calling it Legendary makes sense. ;)

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

It's not even a series yet. It's one movie. We don't even know the title yet. I'd say, if Japan's G-fans don't come up with something nice and snappy (and they probably will), we should wait until we have details on a second film before trying to name the series. If it's a direct sequel to the 2016 film, then we can refer to the dualogy-going-on-a-series by either something from the title of the first, a common thread of some sort running through the films themselves, maybe the director if they have the same one...

But in all honesty, the Japanese fanbase has named all the eras so far, so it stands to reason that they'll probably come up with a good name for this one too.

Until then, it's just one movie, so let's maybe just chill until there's news of a sequel, assuming we aren't busy by then complaining about minuscule fragments of information about Legendary's sequel as if some vague PR statement represents an accurate enough appraisal of the film to declare it a total loss.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

alienhulk2099
G-Grasper

Post by alienhulk2099 »

We could call it Millennium Generation 2 and call everything from Y2K to Final Wars Generation 1. Just a suggestion.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

The "Give us money please' Era. ;)
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Depends how much more time Emperor Akihito has left. They'll end up naming this series after the reign of Naruhito.