Final Wars: Why The Hate?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
FalconZ
Monarch Researcher

Re: Final Wars: Why The Hate?

Post by FalconZ »

kamilleblu wrote:
DrBreakfastMachine wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I'm confused as to why you used female pronouns for Hedorah.
I assume it's because of the theory that the orbs Godzilla pulls from Hedorah's body were eggs of some sort, and if it was carrying it eggs it was thus likely a female (insert Zilla jokes here).
You asked.

What if Hedorah was asexual?
Hedorah is asexual like Piccolo.
Lain Of The Wired wrote:
FalconZ wrote:People putting words in my mouth.
Be thankful words are the only things being put in your mouth

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

FalconZ wrote:Hedorah is asexual like Piccolo.
Slowly, I see this Godziulla fandom turning to a Dragon Ball fandom... This isn't the first time I've seen a Dragon Ball reference here...
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Yeah, let's not discriminate against this guy just because he's young. Everyone is welcome in this fandom, young and old :)

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

GojiraFan333 wrote: OK,so I know this may be late,or something,but I don't care. When I read the 20s and above bit what's so bad with being 19? That is just abuse to me.
That's not abuse. It's an absolute fact that younger fans seem to enjoy this movie more than older fans do.

RumbleJapan
GPN Volunteer

Post by RumbleJapan »

That seems like a prejudicial statement. I'm 19 and I didn't think it was a good movie--in fact, most Godzilla movies can be hard to hold down unless you learn to appreciate their flaws.
Visit my fan site: Goji Database

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

If you guys honestly think that remark was prejudiced, you must have lived incredibly sheltered lives. BTW, I'm 20 so I'm not so old man telling kids to get off his lawn. It was a observational statement of a trend that seems rather common that was not meant to be some sweeping generalization of every single fan 19 and younger. And I was 12 when I first saw the movie and I hated it then, so your arguments are pretty much invalid.

RumbleJapan
GPN Volunteer

Post by RumbleJapan »

Kaiser wrote:If you guys honestly think that remark was prejudiced, you must have lived incredibly sheltered lives. BTW, I'm 20 so I'm not so old man telling kids to get off his lawn. It was a observational statement of a trend that seems rather common that was not meant to be some sweeping generalization of every single fan 19 and younger. And I was 12 when I first saw the movie and I hated it then, so your arguments are pretty much invalid.
He used "fact" and "seem" in the same sentence. Facts are absolute and using the word "seem" implies a hint of uncertainty, therefore his statement of, "It's a fact that younger people seem to like GFW", is more of a brash statement.

It is prejudiced whether you choose to accept it or not, because he's taking a general demographic and overgeneralizing them with an arguable statement.

That last statement you used is a logical fallacy, but I don't want to get into that stuff because we're getting off-topic.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

RumbleJapan wrote:
Kaiser wrote:If you guys honestly think that remark was prejudiced, you must have lived incredibly sheltered lives. BTW, I'm 20 so I'm not so old man telling kids to get off his lawn. It was a observational statement of a trend that seems rather common that was not meant to be some sweeping generalization of every single fan 19 and younger. And I was 12 when I first saw the movie and I hated it then, so your arguments are pretty much invalid.
He used "fact" and "seem" in the same sentence. Facts are absolute and using the word "seem" implies a hint of uncertainty, therefore his statement of, "It's a fact that younger people seem to like GFW", is more of a brash statement.

It is prejudiced whether you choose to accept it or not, because he's taking a general demographic and overgeneralizing them with an arguable statement.

That last statement you used is a logical fallacy, but I don't want to get into that stuff because we're getting off-topic.
You are being waaaay too sensative about this. There is no reason to be this defensive over something as benign as "younger fans tend to prefer Final Wars moreso than older fans" and my last sentence is AGREEING with what you said: i.e. younger fans can dislike Final Wars too. So how the hell is it a logical fallacy to agree with a point you made?

RumbleJapan
GPN Volunteer

Post by RumbleJapan »

I apologize if Im being "oversensitive". And I misunderstood the context of your last statement because I thought you were using it to reinforce the other statement. Thats a mistake on my part.

The Robber
Samurai

Post by The Robber »

It's like how older Star Wars fans hate the prequels, but younger fans enjoy them more. Kids don't always have the best judgment, but you can't chalk it all up to bad taste. Think about it: if you were the right age when the Star Wars prequels came out, seeing them in at the theater, or getting the action figures or whatever, might be fond childhood memories. Many of us love the old Star Wars and Godzilla movies for the same reason: we grew up with them. Obviously FalconZ was the right age when GFW came out. Maybe it was the first Godzilla movie he ever saw, maybe he was amazed because he'd never seen anything like that before. Who am I to judge? I'm a grown-ass adult and I'm not going to berate a 14 year old for his bad taste in monster movies.
I've done a lot of crazy things in my life, but ... I've never stuck my head into a hornet's nest.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I don't think there's anything wrong with liking Final Wars. FalconZ just didn't seem to understand why the film gets hate from most people, so I went into detail about what things are generally considered flaws, and tried to help him understand why they would be considered flaws.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

I have no problem with people liking Final Wars, it's just when they seem unable or unwilling to comprehend why someone else may not like the film that irks me. For all the vitriol I throw towards Final Wars, I do understand why certain fans like it, but it's definitely not my kind of movie, and even then I'd still rank it above a few truly bad films in the franchise.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Kaiser wrote:I have no problem with people liking Final Wars, it's just when they seem unable or unwilling to comprehend why someone else may not like the film that irks me.
Exactly.

It's not people liking it that bothers me. I love Godzilla vs Megalon for, example. and I KNOW it's not a good film. It's the people who think there's nothing wrong with the movie and don't understand why someone else doesn't like it that drives me nuts. Honestly, threads like this are moronic, because it's ridiculously easy to see why GFW gets so much hate. Unless you're that thick.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Legion1979 wrote: It's the people who think there's nothing wrong with the movie and don't understand why someone else doesn't like it that drives me nuts.
Yeah, kinda like those who can't understand why people like Godzilla 2000. ;)
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

tymon wrote:
Legion1979 wrote: It's the people who think there's nothing wrong with the movie and don't understand why someone else doesn't like it that drives me nuts.
I must admit that I just don't see why some fans think Godzilla 2000 is so amazing. But that's another topic...

Soulman
Ronin

Post by Soulman »

After reading the thread I can see a pattern of what is ultimately
Person A: I like [x]
Person B: *Gasp!* you like [x]?? You can't like it because [y] is better! You must justify you're reasoning with [insert college level grading rubric here]

I mean seriously? Not to come across harsh but do you all realize you are arguing over a teenager's opinion? Personally I can take or leave the Final Wars movie. Was it bad: Yes, but honestly most Kaiju films aren't Oscar-winning films themselves. But despite how campy or unrealistic the plot of giant monsters fighting other monsters we all still are fans of the franchise. At the end of the day it comes to some people like Vanilla icecream, some like Chocolate, etc. etc. Opinions ARE subjective! I do not honestly see how you can justify one opinion holding more weight because you elaborated your thoughts, over a child's who I assume must still be in school and has yet acquired the basics of expressing his or her own thoughts in written form.

I may be reading into this way too much, I just trying to say that arguing over the same point for 4 pages is not encouraging to other users who may feel afraid to share their opinions. Just remember we are all Godzilla fans, age is just a variable on how long you've been a fan. Not what their opinion is worth.
shippersdreamer wrote:
Godzillian wrote: Who watches a kaiju movie for realism?
The same people who thought making Godzilla into an Iguana was a good idea.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Kaiser wrote:
tymon wrote:
I must admit that I just don't see why some fans think Godzilla 2000 is so amazing. But that's another topic...
Go check out my latest post on the G2K:M thread, as that's what I was referencing. No, it's not amazing (and definitely not so amazing, lol), but it's better than many people give it credit for.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Presto
Ronin

Post by Presto »

Final Wars had its moments. Anyone who says they like Godzilla films but hate this one should reevaluate why they watch Godzilla at all.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Presto wrote:Anyone who says they like Godzilla films but hate this one should reevaluate why they watch Godzilla at all.
I really wouldn't go there if I were you man.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

All film series have their low and high points. Godzilla is no exception. Although, what is low or high can be a matter of personal taste.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.